A piece on the reverand billy graham

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by FS Driver, Jun 15, 2006.

1. FS Driver

FS Driver New Member

State:
    swansea,illinoi
    i cant find anything to refute this in snopes but here is
    an email i recieved that hs a good story of the reverand billy graham
    and towards the end it has an idea that would be very wise to utilize in our everyday lives .
    happily incompatable !!!!! kind of like agreeing to disagree

Last year I watched Billy Graham being interviewed by Oprah Winfrey on television. Oprah told him that in her childhood home, she use to watch him preach on a little black and white TV while sitting on a linoleum floor.

She went on to the tell viewers that in his lifetime Billy has preached to twenty-million people around the world, not to mention the countless numbers who have heard him whenever his crusades are broadcast. When she asked if he got nervous before facing a crowd, Billy replied humbly, "No, I don't get nervous before crowds, but I did today before I was going to meet with you."

Oprah's show is broadcast to twenty-million people every day.
    She is comfortable with famous stars and celebrities but seemed in awe of Dr. Billy Graham.

When the interview ended, she told the audience, "You don't often

see this on my show, but we're going to pray." Then she asked Billy to close in prayer. The camera panned the studio audience as they bowed their heads and closed their eyes just like in one of his crusades.

Oprah sang the first line from the song that is his hallmark "Just as I am, without a plea," misreading the line and singing off'-key, but her voice was full of emotion and almost cracked.

When Billy stood up after the show, instead of hugging her guest, Oprah's usual custom, she went over and just nestled against him. Billy wrapped his arm around her and pulled her under his shoulder. She stood in his fatherly embrace with a look of sheer contentment..

I once read the book "Nestle, Don't Wrestle" by Corrie Ten Boom. The power of nestling was evident on the TV screen that day. Billy Graham was not the least bit condemning, distant, or hesitant to embrace a public personality who may not fit the evangelistic mold. His grace and courage are

sometimes stunning.

In an interview with Hugh Downs, on the 20/20 program, the subject turned to homosexuality. Hugh looked directly at Billy and said, "If you had a homosexual child, would you love him?" Billy didn't miss a beat. He replied with sincerity and gentleness, "Why, I would love that one even more."

The title of Billy's autobiography, "Just As I Am," says it all. His life goes before him speaking as eloquently as that charming southern drawl for which he is known.

If, when I am eighty years old, my autobiography were to be titled "Just As I Am," I wonder how I would live now? Do I have the courage to be me? I'll never be a Billy Graham, the elegant man who draws people to the Lord through a simple one-point message, but I hope to be a person who is real and compassionate and who might draw people to nestle within God's embrace.

Do you make it a point to speak to a visitor or person who shows up alone at church, buy a hamburger

for a homeless man, call your mother on Sunday afternoons, pick daisies with a little girl, or take a fatherless boy to a baseball game?

Did anyone ever tell you how beautiful you look when you're looking for what's beautiful in someone else?

Billy complimented Oprah when asked what he was most thankful for; he said, "Salvation given to us in Jesus Christ" then added, "and the way you have made people all over this country aware of the power of being grateful."

When asked his secret of love, being married fifty-four years to the same person, he said, "Ruth and I are happily incompatible."

How unexpected. We would all live more comfortably with everybody around us if we would find the strength in being grateful and happily incompatible.

Let's take the things that set us apart, that make us different, that cause us to disagree, and make them an occasion to compliment each other and be thankful for each other. Let us be big enough to be

smaller than our neighbor, spouse, friends, and strangers.

Every day, may we Nestle, not Wrestle! Please pass this one on...

2. redneckdrum

redneckdrum New Member

State:
    kansas
    I always said "If theres anyone in this world that deserved a throne right next to the Lord it would be Billy Graham".I can remember as a little boy,when his crusade came on TV,everything 'stopped' in the house so we could sit in the living roomand watch this man of God preach.

3. LarryW

LarryW New Member

State:
    Abbeville Louisiana
    very good post and thank you fore shareing

4. SubnetZero

SubnetZero New Member

State:
    Sherman IL
    Same with us John, it was an event. I personally believe he is truley the real deal. I do not like all the "TV" evangilists, but Mr.Graham is truly a messenger.

Quick story, My Brother was going through a tough stress in life, like everyone in life. He happened to catch Mr Graham on Tv on nite. My brother ended up calling in for one of their books and more info, they always offer during his specials. They sent it to him, never asked for any $, never hounded him, etc. Just wanted to share the Word and the Message.

5. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

I received this in an e-mail just the other day myself, and decided to do a search before posting it. This is excellent, so I'm bumping it back to the top. Thanks Darryl :smile2:.

6. buddah

buddah New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania Wi
    uh boy, here we go...:lol:

7. 1sporticus

1sporticus Active Member

State:
    Iowa
    I really enjoyed this story, and some of the remarks. Thanks for posting it. Later Andy

8. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    Great post Darryl. Thanks. There is a story he told of going to a small town when he'd first started the ministry, He stopped an ask a young boy where the post office was. The boy gave him directions. After, he invited the boy to his sermon that evening, and told him he'd tell him how to go to heaven. The boy replied, "I don't think so, if you don't even know how to get to the post office." I think he is the greatist preacher of our time.
    :smile2:

9. sal_jr

sal_jr New Member

State:
    Ithaca, MI
    all this goes to show you the truth in the statement that real leaders never lead anything: they just follow one thing- Truth.

Now I never watched a Billy Graham Special, but Ive seen parts and pieces, quotes, and exerpts. The man just is. He expects nothing and brings only himself.

Too bad this is a lesson that as soon as it is spoken, negates its own value.

But anyone else who sees and says it makes it stronger.

Thanks DRC!

10. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    He held a crusade when I was about 8 years old in Carter Finley stadium (NC State's football field) and the largest stadium at the time in NC.
    I'll never forget being there and seeing close to 60,000 people and the call to the altar.
    Very moving and powerful even for an 8 year old.

11. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    Fine post Darryl. Billy Graham is one of my favorites.

Tanya thank you for pulling it up, I think I was gone last year when it was posted.