A Pet's Ten Commandments

Discussion in 'The BOC's Animal House' started by bnewsom71, Oct 24, 2008.

1. bnewsom71

bnewsom71 New Member

State:
    Mathervill
    I got this email today. Its a pretty neat read. Thought all you fellow animal lovers would enjoy it. Kinda makes ya think a bit too.

1. My life is likely to last 10-15 years, any separation from you will be painful to me. Remember that before you take me home.

2. Give me time to understand what you want of me.

3. Place your trust in me- it is crucial for my well-being.

4. Don't be angry with me for long and don't lock me up as punishment. You have your work, your friends, your entertainment, but I have only you.

5. Talk to me even if I don't understand your words, I do understand your voice when it is speaking to me.

6. Be aware of how you treat me, I will never forget it.

7. Before you hit me, before you strike me, remember that I could hurt you, and yet, I choose not to bite you.

8. Before you scold me for being lazy or uncooperative, ask yourself if something might be bothering me. Perhaps I'm not getting the right food, I have been in the sun too long, or my heart might be getting old or weak.

9. Please take care of me when I grow old. You too, will grow old.

10. On the ultimate difficult journey, go with me please. Never say you can't bear to watch. Don't make me face this alone. Everything is easier for me if you are there, because I love you so. ALWAYS!

~Take a moment today to thank God for your pets.

Enjoy and take good care of them.
    Life would be a much duller, less joyful experience without God's critters~
    Now please pass this on to other pet owners.
    We do not have to wait for Heaven, to be surrounded by hope, love, and joyfulness.
    It is here on earth and has four legs!

2. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Brian:

That was good. I have a saying I used with clients.

"They can't vote and they can't talk" Meaning you are the one responsible for them. Wanna be a boss? Own an animal and be responsible for it until you eat it or it climbs in your lap at night to watch TV with you.

They give and give and we ignore or take. Any problem an animal might give someone is almost always the fault of the owner, in my opinion. Through neglect or ignorance or uncaring or just plain human meanness.

How do you teach a person to be responsible for something like that pet you might Have? Whether fish or fowl or four legged or whatever shape and form you own them? The world has changed so dramatically in my years on this planet. People are not responsible for themselves even anymore. "Well it is his fault." Or, "Well the Gov't should help me out." Or "Well I just don't have the time." Or "Well, it is just too expensive." and on ad infinitum.

How do you teach responsibility anymore? Is it possible?

Or is it simply the act of giving a young person the job of doing it and having them match the expectations of you as a parent and that animal they have. I have seen kids do amazing things, unselfishly for a pet when they wouldn't get up off their butt and take the trash out for you.

Let 'em read the kind of stuff you put on here and then go buy 'em a rabbit.

3. bnewsom71

bnewsom71 New Member

State:
    Mathervill
    Very well said John! And it is (like you said) amazing what a child will do for an animal, when you can't even get there attention.

4. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK

John, i would like for you to come see me with my mutts and tell me what i am doing wrong. the better i treat them, the more they expect. no going back to the beginning, it MUST get better for them or i am mistreating.....come to think about it, they remind me of women:eek:oooh:

and i am sorry to here of your better half being laid up.....i know that must be why you have an avatar of you in the kitchen:wink:

we both know she wouldn't let you in there for any length of time:smile2:

5. ladyfish50

ladyfish50 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Very good post. I know the older I get the more it disturbs me to see pets neglected or mistreated. Some friends of ours have a German Shepherd....beautiful dog...who was beaten so badly by his previous owners, that at one point he's had his front feet broken/crushed, his back legs & hips broken. And yet he is the most loving dog! When they first got him, when they would pet him, he would cry & moan because he didn't understand hands on him that weren't hurting him. Heartbreaking story.
    My little rotten furry family members, on the other hand, are so spoiled. But, I wouldn't have it any other way. They are all so unique, so sweet, so much fun to watch. And as I have heard said before.....we are all they have. They cannot think & understand the human mind, especially the cruel part of the mind. They only know "what is", & "what they love".

6. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
  7. Kat-tamer

Kat-tamer New Member

State:
    Missouri
  8. boswifedeb

boswifedeb USCA Jailhouse Lawyer

State:
    Tennessee
    Name:
    Debbie
    Because I've been gone a lot lately taking care of my mom, I've missed a lot of snuggle time with my 4 footed babies. But they sure know how to welcome me home. Don't know what I'd do without them and don't want to find out.

9. sat93us

sat93us New Member

State:
    Texas
    that is cool and so true