A PB mirror, 2 twenties, and a double

Discussion in 'Carp Fishing' started by mcwrestler, Apr 23, 2008.

1. mcwrestler

mcwrestler New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Well today was amazing to say the least. It started out kind of slow with only a 4lb bass that I did not photo because it was not my goal but things would pick up. I was using grits pack with Tutti Fruity flavoring on one rod and a new not yet released K-1 Butterscotch Cream boilie. I had to switch up tactics after missing a few fish. I upped my weight to 3.5oz to increase the bolt rig effect, and I put a boilie with the grits. On the grits pack (The same one I made a thread about) I caught my new PB mirror weighing 16lbs and some odd ounces. After that I had another run and it turned out to be a 19lb 7oz common, while unhooking it the BS boilie go a run and produced a nice mid teen fish. A guy there with me posed with the smaller one and i held the big one. Less than 30 minutes later I had a 2008 PB weighing 23lbs.

Attached Files:

2. mcwrestler

mcwrestler New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    After the 19lb 7oz fish I could not get one rod back in the water because the butterscotch boilie was getting run after run. I released 4 fish from 7 to 10lbs without a photo or weight because the fishing was to hot to mess around with the small ones. On 3 casts I had a run anywhere between 30 seconds to a minute after it hit the water. I cannot explain or describe my amazement at this. Once the grits hit the water I had another low teen fish that was released immediatly because the butterscotch rod was screaming. I fought the fish for a few minutes and it tangled itself into my friends line and before we could net it the hook link snapped.

No problem though because the carp had essentailly hog tied itself with my friends line and I waded out and brought him in. 20lbs of carp gold. Another mid teen fish was caught before I left and I posted a phot of him here, I cannot remember his weight, maybe around 17lbs or so.

Attached Files:

3. mcwrestler

mcwrestler New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    To end the day I caught a little surprise, actually it was a little turtle but still. He was boilie hungry I guess.

I came away with a few conclusions:
    1. Butterscotch will be a hit when released in May!!
    2. The mirror was enough to make my day but the rest of the fish just built on it.
    3. A 4lb bass no longers interests me, and to me that is awesome.
    4. There is a catfish bait that I look forward to using being made by the guy I get the boilies from and I can only imagine what it will produce (his wife caught a 32lb blue on the flavored bait).
    5. I am blessed to live around some of the best carping in the south east.
    6. I will miss this are for a few months when I move to NE TN for the summer, any members up or around Johnson City PM me and I will go fish. I am not opposed to 2 hour drives to catch fish.
    7. You can't catch fish on a forum so go and find you some:cool2:

Attached Files:

4. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    Thanks for sharing the photos. Now if I can just get some time off from work.

5. yadkinrivercats

yadkinrivercats Member

State:
    mocksville,n.c.
    Some nice fish there Brad thanks for sharing.

6. bigcarp

bigcarp New Member

State:
    england
    nice fish brad are the mirrors rare over there only dont see to many on the posts
    hope to get out this weekend :embarassed:

7. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Sounds like some nice fishing. Great job

8. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Nice work. I ain't carp fished in years. I gotta remedy that. LOL! Thanx for sharein.

9. Jerry60k

Jerry60k New Member

State:
    Chelyan, West V
    Now them theres some nice Buglemouth Bass you got yourself :smile2:

Maybe I need to try boilies and bolt rigs our river is covered in carp.

10. Bacardipr05

Bacardipr05 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    Congrats to you Brad...well deserved...some very nice carp...the stars must been aligned last week because i pulled in some nice ones also...some great fish you have....keep up the good work i enjoy reading your threads....

11. mcwrestler

mcwrestler New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    In most waters they are rare over here. Less than 10% are mirrors in most cases. Out of 100's of carp I have caught maybe 4 or 5 have been mirrors but there are some waters that are almost all mirrors so it depends where you are.

12. katcaller

katcaller New Member

State:
    in
    Big Carp; That's a strange looking critter you are holding there, looks like an American football with fins, what did it weigh? Brad; I believe you were having more fun than the law allows. Don't you just love a day like that. Congratulations, and keep posting. katcaller

13. ChannelCatBen

ChannelCatBen New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    Wow! Those are some boomers. Good work!

14. rageroid

rageroid New Member

State:
    California
    Those are beauties Mcwrestler. Good job.

15. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I dont care what anyone says -You get a big carp on and u have yerself one big battle.......then if you can smoke them proper oh yeah....NICLEY DONE!Congrats to ya's

16. Carp King

Carp King New Member

State:
    North carolina
    Nice fish. I wish i was i had action like that. It can only get better though. I plan to go out on staurday this weekend, so hopefully i will have luck like yours.:wink:

17. Jerry60k

Jerry60k New Member

State:
    Chelyan, West V
    So what exactly do you mean by a mirror ?

18. mcwrestler

mcwrestler New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    A mirror is the same species as the common carp but due to genetics their scales are not uniform and in many cases, like mine, are missing all together over large patches. There are 3 types the common which almost everyone has seen, the mirror (like mine and the one in Bigcarps avatar) and the leather (scaleless and unseen to America so far). Mirrors can be fully scaled meaning they are covered in scales but the scales are swirled, odd shapes and very unique, plain mirror meaning missing scales and has large scales of different sizes (mine) and linear mirrors which only have scales down the latteral line (VERY RARE).

19. Jerry60k

Jerry60k New Member

State:
    Chelyan, West V
    Ok I got what your saying.I have seen a few but didnt realize they were special.

The scales kinda look like the ones on the Isreali Carp.

20. mcwrestler

mcwrestler New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    The Israeli carp is a mirror carp, they are all the same species, some states confused the 2. In TN the Israeli record was 53lbs, the common carp was 42. When a fishing partner of mine caught a 44lb 12oz and applied for the record he found out that TN had just discovered they were the same so no record for him but still a massive fish.