a one that got away story

Discussion in 'OHIO RIVERS TALK' started by flathunter, Jul 17, 2008.

1. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    early this year in late april my son hooked a flathead that was very close to 70-lbs or better..I know because it was daylite and aI saw the fish several times at the bank and had him half way in the net.

We were fishing cut shad and circle hooks and one of his rods went straight down, and I mean straight down....steven had a hard time getting the rod out of the holder.

AS most of them do this fish went straight up stream, we we fishing way out so there was alot of line between us and the fish, I told him to back the drag off cause this fish was gonna break something.

for probably 20 minutes he had only gained maybe 10 yds of line so i had him to crank the drag down ...another 10 minutes and this fish rolled about 10 yds from the bank, and the first thing I thought was state record.

them it took off agin peeling another 20 yds of line

Finally we had the fish to the bank and I was looking at the biggest flathead I ever saw.

I had my net in hand, and kept telling my son to hold the rod tip high, what I did not no was that he had droped the tip causing some slck in the line, and the line had wedged behind a small tree root at the bank.

I had the head of the fish in the net, when I stepped on his line, the fish took another small rum while I was standing on his line and the line snapped.

I dont think I have ever had a more empty feeling, steven yelled at me that I lost his fish and I guess in a way i did...it's been 3 months and he will finally speek to me now:smile2:

2. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    That is a pretty good one that got away story. I did something similar to my brother once...................but it was only a 10 poundish fish. I still felt really bad

3. 72hdflh

72hdflh New Member

State:
    West Salem, Ohio
    Good story, bummer of an ending though.

4. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    Another clue that you are fishing shallow. When they run upstream, where are they heading? Structure? Deeper water, further into the shallows?

5. Gary B

Gary B New Member

State:
    OHIO
    argh! I feel bad about that one.

6. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    that blows jack. good thing they are Territorial eh :wink:. looking forward to seeing this fish in the next few weeks, go get him guys!

7. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Ha, Ha... That's about as wrong as you can get! For $2,500 I will tell you more info! :big_smile:

(Just kidding Jack.)

8. hunted

hunted New Member

State:
    washington court house,oh
    maybe that fish wasn't meant to be caught yet,maybe he needs to grow just a few more pounds before you guys get a hold of him again.

9. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    nope deep holes with very little structure

10. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    kasdjbhkajs

11. slimdaddy

slimdaddy Well-Known Member

State:
    Nelsonville, Oh
    Name:
    Keith
    i feel for jack but sometimes things happen im sure your son knows you didnt do it on purpose you just cant win them all maybe you will hook up with him again someday