A night with dad

Discussion in 'MICHIGAN RIVERS TALK' started by Gr_Cat, Aug 6, 2008.

1. Gr_Cat

Gr_Cat New Member

State:
    Michigan
    It started as a pretty typical day off from work for myself, woke up to my 6yr old son asking me if we were going fishin' or not. He must ask me at least 15 times a day, no joke :smile2: We went to a local small lake, and got about 12 nice gills, and proceeded to bring em home and add em to an aquarium to keep em nice and lively. I think he has the most fun doing this, something simple like putting the gills in the tank HAHA. Two of my daughters (11, and 8) were in Ohio and West Virginia with my Dad visiting their new cousin for the past 1 1/2 weeks.

My dad planned to bring them home yesterday so we are back to our normal 6 person family again! Well needless to say with all this babble, I was locked and loaded boat was ready, and my dad and I never get to fish together :sad2:. He was all about going on his first night fishing excursion on the Grand for hopefully some decent catfish action.

We get to the launch about 10PM, (already dark). The river really looked low, and the launch was all muddy. Well we were here, and not about to let a little mud get in our way. I knew of a decent hole we were going to try on a previous trip on this stretch of water, and it wasnt far at all from the launch, could actually see my truck from where we were fishin'!

I had one really nice sucker minnow about 10" long, he was a real slimy, stinky, LOUD little bugger, he yelled at me when I administered a 8/0 Gamakatsu through his dorsal! Rod #1 out and right in the timber. Got my other rod out in a matter of minutes geared up with a nice gill.

We sat for about 30 mins and had two runs, my dad has never fished with circle hooks before and I was trying to explain to him how they hook themselves, and no need to jerk the rod to set the hook, well he was so excited to see one start pulling out line he YANKED it back and RIP right out of the fish's mouth! DOH!

Then about 5 minutes later my rod with the sucker started to jump to life, I grabbed ahold of the rod waiting to feel his weight before applying pressure with rod tip up....I felt him pulling, and noticed some wieght on the end of the rod so I raised the rod up expecting to land a nice one, and I was like WTF, nothing! STRANGE! But hey at least we were getting some bites I said, and my Dad was just having fun being out with me on a really beautiful bug free night!

So its nearing midnight, and I was wondering if our bait was still alive, or even there so I pulled in one and yep no bluegill on the hook! I grabbbed the biggest gill I had and threw it out right between two really nice pieces of timber, the 4oz sinker hardly had a chance to hit bottom and BANG the fish took the bait almost instantly!!!! He remembered his mistake from the previous run, and he looked like a pro with this one! He did everything exactly perfectly IMO. He had her hooked really good and we finally landed a 12lb flathead. I've never had a flathead take the bait so soon after casting it into the water, it totally took me by suprise! I know its not a really big one but hey at least we aren't going home skunked again! I'm tired of my wife telling me that I never catch anything when I go for flatheads! Hopefully the pic will work that I'll try to attach to this long A$$ post that no one will read or care about!

All in all we had a fun time, which last time I checked is what fishing is all about. Nothing is more fun that watching someone you care about having the time of their life catching a nice fish!

Attached Files:

2. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Congrats on getting out there with your dad and your boy! I know that must be good feeling. Congrats also on catching a nice fish.

3. Boomer

Boomer New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Hey sounds like you had a good trip. I have yet to catch a flathead like that, where they hit instantly. I have had them lay there for a couple of hours and suck on them, and you not know they are on.

Being out with the family is the only way to go.

4. Catpaw

Catpaw Well-Known Member

State:
    Central Cail
    Name:
    James
    Guy am glad you and your dad had a great time fishing together...That's what it's all about:big_smile: Fish on

5. eyeguy

eyeguy New Member

State:
    Michigan
    Congrats on a good time with your father and his catching a nice cat.
    eyeguy:smile2:

6. bream reaper

bream reaper Member

State:
    Indiana
    Nice cat. Sounds like a rewarding trip with your dad.

7. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    i read your long a$$ poste as you called it lol !!!!!:smile2: to be onest this is what i love to read on the BOC family stuff i love storys like this so reps to you for a fine story and congrads on a good night fishing:cool2:

8. eyeguy

eyeguy New Member

State:
    Michigan
    WOW, actual posts on the Michigan site besides mine, things are looking up here.
    The Mrs and I spent the holiday weekend on the backwaters in Mesick again, we just love that place and its hard to stay away. Some friends of ours came along and we had a real good time. Altogether we caught nine nice channel cats. For some reason the ladys were having a tough time catching fish. I don't know how it works that two people can sit in the same boat only a few feet apart and one of them catches the majority of the fish while the other has to do the netting. I don't like being on either end of it but it has happened repeatedly this summer. She and I enjoy our time together fishing and I like watching her catch fish, I don't know how she sits there so long with no action and yet still enjoys herself. I offer to let her land a fish when I hook it and even take my line out of the water under the pretense of needing to retie my hook or change the leader because its getting frayed. and still no luck. I turn the boat around so she sits where I have been fishing and instead of her catching a fish, I will. You have to love a lady like that.
    We have been fishing the shallow water either right in the weeds or just on the edge of them. Since tying the chicken liver in spawn bag materiel we use less liver and don't have to bait the hook so often. We have gone to circle hooks exclusively and this has been a real benefit when it comes to unhooking the fish. While we were there a fellow in the adjacent camp site caught a 41 inch northern pike and that caused some real excitement in the park. We plan to continue fishing this fall and continue enjoying the park and the changing of the colors as fall comes on. We watched the eagles and a peregrin falcon almost every day while we were there. The weather was absolutely perfact, cool nights and warm days and plenty of friends to enjoy it all with.
    Tight lines to all.:big_smile:
    eyeguy

http://us.mc553.mail.yahoo.com/mc/showFolder?fid=Inbox&.rand=1437337885&da=0

9. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Guy thanks for sharing the fishing trip with your dad. Nice fish. Enjoyed.

10. catman4926

catman4926 New Member

State:
    Texas
    Guy,

I'm so happy that you and your Dad had a great time together and I'm sure you had some great fellowship. That also a nice fish that your dad cough . have a great day

11. Doneinne

Doneinne New Member

State:
    Fremont, Nebras
    That is a great post. Have you tried using fresh cutbait?

12. Gr_Cat

Gr_Cat New Member

State:
    Michigan
    Thanks everyone for all the kind words. I have not tried fresh cut bait in quite some time. I have always done better for flatheads with lively baits. Have you had better luck using cut bait? Mesick huh? I didn't know there were some good channel cat spots up in Mesick. My family mushroom hunts mesick and the boon area every spring, maybe next spring I'll have to trailor the boat and bring the GPS and snoop around :) I'm hoping all this rain we've had here in Grand Rapids helps and maybe the cooler weather will make the cats want to start "beefing" up for the upcoming fall/winter months! I was recently informed of a "sweet-spot" to try from the bank not terribly far from my home. I will try it in the next two weeks, and let you guys know how I faired. Good luck everyone, let's keep Michigan forum alive! Where you at Tony???

13. eyeguy

eyeguy New Member

State:
    Michigan
    Gr_Cat
    Yup, Mesick backwaters I'm not going to state that it compares with the Grand but we do have fun. Let me know when you are coming up and I will do my best to see that you know where to go to try your luck.
    eyeguy

14. bwanatony

bwanatony New Member

State:
    Grand River Valley, Weste
    I'm here, I'm here, reading every word that gets written on the Michigan section.
    I don't post much unless I have something interesting (I hope) to say, and since this has been the worst fishing year of my life, I have not had much to add.
    Maybe next May & June the river won't be near flood stage for the whole peak time of the year...

15. Gr_Cat

Gr_Cat New Member

State:
    Michigan
    I totally hear ya Tony. I've been skunked this year as well. Let's be hopeful that this next month makes up for how the summer treated us! A friend that I work with, was trolling a hot'n tot in the muskegon river last week and his pole doubled over, he thought he snagged a log...he ended up landing a 29" channel cat, he took pics and submitted a master angler so he tells me. He wasn't expecting to catch a channel while trolling for other species! :wink:

16. bwanatony

bwanatony New Member

State:
    Grand River Valley, Weste
    Bloody channel cats... they can really screw up a good flathead outing. The only cure is... BIGGER BAITS! And never, ever, never never ever ever use stink bait when you're flathead fishing!

I'm pretty sure Michigan flatheading is done for 2008. The odd one may show show up, but until next May, I'm after salmon, panfish, squirrels, and whitetail deer.

Good fishing,
    Tony

17. fishnvince

fishnvince New Member

State:
    na
    Sounds like ya was making memories to last a lifetime. Great story

18. Gr_Cat

Gr_Cat New Member

State:
    Michigan
    Ok I said I would tell you guys how my next outing went in a previous post, and I can't even believe I tried to fish the grand in its current state! I must be insane! I used 10oz of weight, and the current just took it right down river! I fished the dam area in Lyons, the spot right near the dam that had slower moving water. Fished during the day not expecting to catch a darn thing and I fullfilled that expectation very well! LOL. My son has been doing well so far in school (behavior wise) and my wife decided that it would be good if i let him "play hookey" for the entire day and spend a day skipping school to be with me and go fishin'. It was a fun time just spending an "illegal" day with my 6yr old boy. He can fish all day and NEVER grow tired of it, I love it! I threw my two rods out, while he casted an in-line spinner for whatever would bite. I waited and waited, then my 10' rod and abu reel about flew out of the rodholder. I was all excited that maybe we had a nice channel cat on or something. I quickly called to my boy to reel it in. He was there in the blink of an eye, he wasnt strong enough to keep the big rod tip up, so I held the rod up for him, and he proceeded to reel 'er in. Anyone guess what it was?

HEHE, a great big carp. I'm guessing 20+lb. I didn't bring my net, and we were shore fishing, and there was about a 2' drop off into the water. The hook pulled out when I tried to heave him over to shore. My son was freaking out :) That was the entire day, as far as fish caught. The river is not really fishable in most spots. The Ionia fairgrounds is totally flooded, you'd have to launch your boat from a parking area in the fairgrounds, the boatlaunch must be about 6' underwater, no joke.

I hope that when the rivers recede the fishing will be hot!

19. sammy joe

sammy joe New Member

State:
    ark
    i read your long a$$ post and do care its good to spend time with your family because life is short

20. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Sounds like a very enjoyable trip, congrats and YES that IS what fishing is all about