A nice weekend trotlining

Discussion in 'LOCAL ARKANSAS TALK' started by vetrock, May 17, 2008.

1. vetrock

vetrock New Member

State:
    ar
    A few friends and I caught 22 on the lower Saline last weekend on trotlines. Attached is a pic of the largest one, a flathead which we guessed to be 10lbs.

It was a great time. The river has risen a lot this week, and is really muddy. So, we probably picked the right weekend to go.

Attached Files:

2. ccat

ccat Well-Known Member

State:
    Fayetteville Ar
    vetrock, what did you bait your trotline with, if you don't mind me asking?

3. vetrock

vetrock New Member

State:
    ar
    Caught perch, minnows, and crawfish. Caught perch work the best on our river. We caught 2 blues, 7 or 8 flatheads, and the rest channel.

Actually one looked like a mixture of a blue and a channel with a small head. It wasn't a bullhead. I called it a channel, but the locals call it a blue-channel, which I understand doesn't exist.

4. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Rock thanks for sharing your fishing trip and pics with us. I like the smile on the boys face. Take him a few times and you will have him hooked.

5. catman4926

catman4926 New Member

State:
    Texas
    THANKS FOR SHEARING YOUR TRIP WITH US AND WELCOME TO THE BOC FROM SO ALABAMA:smile2:

6. tiny b

tiny b Active Member

State:
    TX
    That's a good looking fishing buddy ya got there. Looks like he's hooked too.

7. tallmanrus

tallmanrus New Member

State:
    arkansas
    Rocky welcome to the BOC from tall here . I also fish the saline river here at lees ferry . I would like to fish it more we got some good fish in there , but my boat is a little big for the saline . Great looking cat and again welcome

8. catdaddy007

catdaddy007 Member

State:
    SE Arkansas
    Nice lookin' catfish.I fish the bottom end of the Saline river,where it runs into the Ouachita.

9. Jimmy Don

Jimmy Don Member

State:
    Arkansas

Robert, have you been on the river at Lees Ferry this year? I've been wanting to get on it, but every time I have had time to, it has been bank full or better.

I was wondering how many trees and stuff have been blown across it or washed down and how far you can get up and down it without a chain saw.

I've been up to where it crosses Hwy 270 just looking around and there were trees blocking any boat traffic before you could get out of site of the road.

My favorite area (hwy 167 ramp) has been closed the last two summers and looks like it will be for a third year. because they are building a new bridge. I can just imagine how bad it will be.

It would be nice to get everyone who fishes the Saline together for a day with boats and chainsaws and trash bags and get it opened up and cleaned up from one end of the county to another. You know an organization something like "Friends of Saline River". I don't really know how to go about putting together something like that.

Just a thought

10. vetrock

vetrock New Member

State:
    ar
    These were caught at Longview. Not too far away from you.

11. KATMANDETTE

KATMANDETTE New Member

State:
    Cedar Key, Florida
    What is/are trot lines?

I've heard about them in song.......................

Mik:roll_eyes:

12. catdaddy007

catdaddy007 Member

State:
    SE Arkansas
    I used to fish at Longview every weekend back in the early 90's.We would camp out at horse head and run trotlines and yoyo's.You're right, caught perch are the best bait for trotlining.I caught some gooduns using baby grinnel on yoyo's up close to the bank too.

13. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    a crude drawing. they are made of twine streached across rivers and creeks. many hooks streach across the main line with hooks and bait hanging below. good way to stock up for a fish fry.:wink:

looks like the boy was intrested in that fish. nice time with the kid i bet.

14. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
  15. vetrock

vetrock New Member

State:
    ar
    My dad has had one out since sunday and has caught 15. Almost all are flatheads, and he's caught an 8.6 and 9 lber. I set out 2 more today. We baited with crawfish, caught perch and minnows.

The river is falling fast. I'll keep ya'll posted.

16. vetrock

vetrock New Member

State:
    ar
    I set out 2 lines. 1 caught one, so I picked it up after just one day. The other caught 4 and my dad's line caught 5. He ran them this morning, and I haven't talked to him. A front blew through last night which in my experience can be good, so we will see. Our largest is a 13lb flat. I also caught a crappie on a trotline and a bass. Both are firsts for me.

17. CNTRYBOY

CNTRYBOY New Member

State:
    Benton, Ar
    Jimmy Don, That is a good ideal. Would take some planning, but could probably be organized. The Saline River in my book is overlooked a lot. It does have some nice fishing in it. I also wish there was more acess areas on it and mantained camping areas. Myself and Tallmanrus has been talking about possibly doing a float fishing trip on it in the near future.

The problem with the Saline River and the reason it does not have more mantained acess and camping areas is due to several factors. One of them being the ability for the river to flood so much. The other one is the lack of consideration of folks using the River. The Saline River is virtually remote, winding thru a lot of Bottomland. You get inconsederate folks that use the river that Leaves their trash behind, takes their 4-wheel drives into the shallow areas and tears the bottom up, has parties and litters it with beer cans, bottles, and trash.

Most of the access areas that have been established by the Game and fish Commission with ramps and so forth are no longer kept up by the Commission due to folks Vandelising them. They shoot up the signs, tear them down and sometimes burns them for firewood.

18. Jimmy Don

Jimmy Don Member

State:
    Arkansas
    It would take a lot of time that I don't have to organize all that, and it would be nice to have the river clean, but it would probably attract more people fishing the river, and I wouldn't like that.

One of my favorite things about the Saline is many times that I fish it I don't see another boat. It can be difficult to fish because of the logs and because of the shallow gravel areas that you have to drag over. I think I'll just make sure I have my chainsaw and axe with me the next trip I make and do some cleaning.

19. catdaddy007

catdaddy007 Member

State:
    SE Arkansas
    Still running lines?

20. vetrock

vetrock New Member

State:
    ar
    We ran at least one line for 8 days. I put another line out in a new place for us that was deep on one end and had a sandbar on the other. That line produced a good number of fish but kept on getting hung up.

In all we caught 41. Our freezer is full.