A Newbie's First Blue Cat Experience!

Discussion in 'MEMBER FISHING REPORTS (BECOME A FISHING LEGEND)' started by RIVER-RAT, Sep 14, 2008.

1. RIVER-RAT

RIVER-RAT New Member

State:
    MO / MT
    My wife's uncle, Clyde, has enjoyed fishing for a long time. Everytime we get together at a family function/gathering, he always asks me how the fishing has been. I tell him of monsters that I've reeled in, shared my photos with him and he has always said, "boy, I bet that sure is fun" followed by me always telling him he has an open invitation to go. Well last night he finally took me up on the offer.

We, Clyde stlcatman AKA Ryan and I, started out on the river around 330-4pm and headed out to catch bait. That was just an experience in of itself for Clyde, he had never seen a throw net before and was impressed with Ryan's ability to constantly bring the bait fish into the boat.

After catching enough bait, we headed to the first of several spots that we would end up fishing that night. It was SLOW!!! Very slow, we had a strong wind out of the south and I have never had much luck when the wind has been blowing out of the south! :angry: Now I was getting concerned, here I have a guest, who has traveled here just to get on the river to catch some blues. I didn't give up and continued the search for the hungry fish. I went to another spot and finally ended up getting some bites. Then the rod went down, I grabbed it, set the hook and immediately handed the rod to Clyde. He was amazed at how hard that fish was fighting! When he got it in the boat, it weighed out at 18 pounds! His first blue already surpassed his biggest ever fish!

Set up on a new spot and finally started getting some good bites. Had several hard rips but unfortunately wasn't able to get a hook set. :confused2: Then all of a sudden the left outside pole got buried! Grabbed, set and handed. I knew this was a better fish, as Clyde was fighting it, this one was definately fighting harder than the first. Everytime Clyde would gain some line, the fish would strip some more. While he was fighting the fish, he said; "now I know why you guys are addicted to fishing for these guys!" We finally got a look at the fish and then finally got him in the net. This one weighed out at 34 pounds! A great fish on a very very tough night of fishing. Clyde ended up catching one more fish before we called it a night. Clyde was asking when he could go again, and once again, I told him he has an open invitation! :big_smile::big_smile:

Here is a picture of Clyde and his 34 pound Mississippi Blue!!!

[​IMG]

2. bumper

bumper New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Great job puttin' him on his new PB!

3. Brentkeele

Brentkeele New Member

State:
    Nokomis, Illinois
    That is a great post! I can relate to Clyde's fascination with the river. I got out on that river for the first time when I met ya'll at the May dollar tourney and fished with Ryan. I went all day without a bite, but thoroughly enjoyed the day, nonetheless. I have plans with Ryan to go out Tuesday evening and can't wait. Good job and congratulations on the upcoming nuptials.

4. Boomer

Boomer New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    That is what it is all about.....

5. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Sippi ....yeah thats what we talkin bout:wink:RIGHT ON !

6. smitty1963

smitty1963 New Member

State:
    Virginia
    sounds like you all had a good time

7. Blade4130

Blade4130 Well-Known Member

State:
    Independence MO
    Thats Awesome!:wink: Horray for him and for you keeping on him to go with you.

8. catman4926

catman4926 New Member

State:
    Texas
    Looks like you found a new fishing partner ,congrats on Clyde PB

9. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    Great story Bill! Congrats to Clyde on the PB and reps to you for takin him. I am sure he is addicted now.:smile2:

10. cat tamer

cat tamer New Member

State:
    MO
    Thanks for a great recap of the night, it was like being there. way to go!

11. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    That was a great story! Reps sent your way for takin' uncle Clyde!
    BB in SC

12. stumpjumper

stumpjumper New Member

State:
    Dallas, GA
    Thanks for a great report! Loved the pictures!

13. SHE-CAT

SHE-CAT New Member

State:
    Dallas, Georgia
    Thanks for sharing that story

14. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Bill thanks for a great story and congrats to Clyde on his new PB Blue.

15. hunted

hunted New Member

State:
    washington court house,oh
    good job getting him out and catching a couple of nice fish

16. Catmanblues

Catmanblues New Member

State:
    S.E Ohio
    Thanks for telling us the story an congrats to you an your uncle!

17. stlcatman

stlcatman New Member

State:
    Imperial, MO
    Bill I think Uncle Clyde will definately be back. Thanks for taking me out with you guys I had fun watching Clyde wrestle with those fish. They both put up a great fight and it was great watching him try and catch his breath after pulling on that 34 in stong current.

18. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Sounds like you really put him on some good fish, congrats and good luck in the future

19. RIVER-RAT

RIVER-RAT New Member

State:
    MO / MT
    Oh yeah...........that was pretty dang fun!!

So, when are we gonna get back out there?? Hopefully this high water will subside real soon.:angry:

20. fishnvince

fishnvince New Member

State:
    na
    I just saw the addiction meter jump , looks like another one who will never go back :smile2::smile2:. Great fish and a great story