A New Virus

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by Phil Washburn, Apr 2, 2008.

1. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK
    Anyone-using Internet mail such as Yahoo, Hotmail, AOL and so on.

This information arrived this morning, Direct from both Microsoft and Norton.
    Please send it to everybody you know who has access t o the Internet.

You may receive an apparently harmless e-mail titled "Mail Server Report"

If you open either file, a message will appear on your screen saying:
    'It is too late now, your life is no longer beautiful.'

Subsequently you will LOSE EVERYTHING IN YOUR PC, And the person who sent it to you will gain access to your name, e-mail and password.

This is a new virus which started to circulate on Saturday afternoon.
    AOL has already confirmed the severity, and the anti virus software's
    are not capable of destroying it.

The virus has been created by a hacker who calls himself 'life owner'.

PLEASE SEND A COPY OF THIS E-MAIL TO ALL YOUR FRIENDS, And ask them to PASS IT ON IMMEDIATELY!

THIS HAS BEEN CONFIRMED BY SNOPES
    http://www.snopes.com/computer/virus/mailserver.asp

2. Ulikedew

Ulikedew New Member

State:
    Georgetown IN
    Thanks for the heads up.

3. rudepossum

rudepossum Well-Known Member

State:
    Missouri
    Thanks for the info Phil.

4. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    Sounds like a bad one, thanks Phil!

5. curdog

curdog New Member

State:
    Sheridan, Arkansas
    Phil, Thanks for the Heads up!

6. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    I would like to say one thing, as a PC technician unless someone hacks directly into your computer you can open any email it will not hurt your computer providing your email is set up correctly. If that email has an attachment that is where you screw you computers up. Dont get me wrong if I see something from someone I dont know and it has some glib line like life is beutifull or something like that then I delete it and dont read it. If you get spam or junk just delete it.

If you have a viewer on your email and the email in HTML (web Language) then it is possible. What you can do is dissable the function to read HTML emails that have been sent to you. You can also protect yourself by installing a router to your system. And obviously Anti Virus software

7. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    Gary, the link you are posting IS a hoax. However, if you read the Snopes Link Phil originally posted, it shows where the virus is real and made to look like the hoax.

8. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    The Mail Server Virus was real in 2006. If you go about 1/3 of the way down the page in my link, http://www.snopes.com/computer/virus/life.asp ,you will see that the “Life is Beautiful” variation is a hoax, described to a tee under "Variations" in the Snopes article:

"Variations: In March 2008 a warning began circulating that erroneously linked the (real) 'Mail Server Report' worm with elements of the 'Life is Beautiful' virus hoax and claimed that the resulting amalgam "HAS BEEN CONFIRMED BY SNOPES""

The balance of the text that I didn't copy/paste matches Phil's original post. It's a hoax with a link to Snopes about the legitimate Mail Server virus from 2006… The “Life is Beautiful” variation that started popping up in March 2008 is simply an attempt to deceive people.

9. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    Reps to ya Phil, thanks for the heads up.

10. zeboman

zeboman New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    Thanks for the info.