A New Tradition For Our Family

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by catfishrollo, Dec 9, 2009.

1. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    We have an "Angel Tree" at a local shopping center that is for the less fortunate children to try to help them for Christmas. I have been involved in these in the past, and it has a special meaning. Well, this year grandma wanted to take our daughter to "pick the angel" which Sarah and I thought was great! Our daughter is only 3 years old, but it amazes me how a child of that age understands pretty much what she is doing after a small talk. Kinda sad in a sense when they actually show emotion when talking about it, but a good value to teach in our opinion. I urge others that may have an extra buck or two to do the same if you have never tried. The money most of us waste on a day to day basis unthinkingly, can be enough to help, a child develop somewhere! Jacie was excited to pick out a baby doll, set of shoes for her new friend!:wink: Give it a try if you have never...:big_smile: rollo

Last edited: Dec 9, 2009
  2. centexcop

centexcop New Member

State:
    Texas
    That's a nice thing to do. There will always be needy families, no matter what shape the economy is in. I give to the Boys and Girls club. They give out toys to children that will not otherwise receive any Christmas.

3. Swampfox.

Swampfox. New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    thats cool Rollo. way to go yall

4. flatheadslayer

flatheadslayer New Member

State:
    Thomaston, Geor
    i always donate a toy to TOYS FOR TOTS whether we're gonna have gifts or not.this year we don't have money to buy gifts,but my wife and i went and bought a 10.00 toy for toys for tots,hoping it will make a difference.

5. DANZIG

DANZIG New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    When my youngins were,, youngins,, we used to take them shopping for, and then on Xmas eve, deliver to the nurses station in the Pediatric Ward of a local hospital. (They will not tell you who is there, but will give you numbers and age ranges)

After moving our home a bit farther away from the hospital, we switched to the Angel Tree and now either do that, or if we happen to personally know a family in need that year, we "Santa" them.

I am proud to say that even after becoming young adults,(on very tight budgets) they still do it. And of course, so do my Sweety and I.

It's just the Christmas thing to do! :big_smile:

6. Boomer

Boomer New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I lived in a pretty small town, and this older fellow who was retired, would go around and collect bicycles, working or not, flat tires, rusted or what ever, and he would spend the year repainting them, fixing them up, and he spent his money on them. Every year during the Christmas parade they would have a drawing for the prizes. He worked with one of the Agencies, and they already knew who the bikes were going to so, those kids would get their names called to pick up a new bike.

I read an article in one of the papers about him, and the first year he gave away 20 bikes, that he had bought at garage sales, pawn shops or people had donated to him. Today he gives away over 400 bikes, the local stores started pitching in, even WalMart started helping out with parts, and some bikes. He went from his garage to a 30 x 50 shop someone let him use, now he has other help, helping him throughout the year.....

7. head hunter

head hunter New Member

State:
    ohio
    me and my wife have been foster parents for four years , and ,It's not only tough on the kids in foster homes at christmas ,,but all through the year . beleave me every little bit makes a diffrence.

it's a sad world they have to grow up in.

8. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I understand. Raising kids is tough enough! We are dealing with the jealousy issue with our latest. She wants to be involved and the center of it. Amazing, the learning process you go thru as a parent! rollo