A new thread on info for the lower Colorado River

Discussion in 'CALIFORNIA RIVERS TALK' started by riverbud55, Sep 19, 2006.

1. riverbud55

riverbud55 Well-Known Member

State:
    AZ Topock-/CA Riverside
    Name:
    Dale Miller
    thought i would restart the tread on the river (Colorado) for info and fishen reports , as some of ya know i do most all my fishen on the colorado river near blythe Ca., the area around blythe is what I know best, but theres more then 150 miles of river so there alot of the river I have never been on and hope there's some folks that know other spots that they can add what they know and there reports.

its been a good year down the for the flathead, Bluehunter, others and myself have hit the river and done good on the flats he's got 4 flats in the 30lb range and i got a 48lb and 30+ and some smaller , with 5 trips up the river in the pontoon we got 10 fish that added up to 320lbs

found this on the web http://www.usbr.gov/lc/region/g2000/assess/chapter3.htm this has great info on the history of the lower colorado river a lot to read but worth the reading

2. riverbud55

State:
    AZ Topock-/CA Riverside
    Name:
    Dale Miller
    ok now i have a place to repost my post that got thrown out with the old thread on the river, vini you said that it gets thrown after 30 days, not true,had post on a regular bases, my most recent post ended up with a date of it being posted 2003 lol, going to copy my post last week and repost

3. riverbud55

State:
    AZ Topock-/CA Riverside
    Name:
    Dale Miller
    ya them little birds are a blast, vini i have herd that there's some good hunting up there, they were tons of birds on opening day and mostly white wings, if you never hunted dove, white wing are what you want, there kinda like getting a flathead the best eatting of the dove its more of a white meat and much better to eat, guess thats why i like the river good bird and good fish.

went back down there this last weekend (9/8 to 9/11)went out sunday nite for some hunting never got but one shot, and as far as fishing didnt go out, the water was so muddy after the big rain, i just didnt want to take a chance of putting the pontoon on a sand bar,i did go down to the beach sat nite but never got a bite after 3hrs

brian,bill or? if ya want to hookup the weekend after next let me know, i need to stay home this weekend (9/16)havnt been home in 5 weekends, going to be cooling down soon, was a little clilly this last weekend at 5am

4. vini

vini New Member

State:
    Fresno
    ok now i have a place to repost my post that got thrown out with the old thread on the river, vini you said that it gets thrown after 30 days, not true,had post on a regular bases, my most recent post ended up with a date of it being posted 2003 lol, going to copy my post last week and repost

Yeah I think they had some glitch's, no confirmation on that yet but there have been some strange things going on last week or so.

If you want to bump up a thread thats archived just find it in the archives and post to it that will put it back up here wherever it came from originally I just tried it and it works

5. vini

vini New Member

State:
    Fresno
    I haven't hunted in years and years but I loved shooting , especially good with a rifle not so good with a shotgun:roll_eyes:

6. Vulture

Vulture New Member

State:
    CA/AZ
    YO Bud! I'll be heading to my place this weekend. I should arrive around 11:00 AM Friday. Going to unload real quick then go make bait. Hope I find some gils, if not have to use the talaps. I might do an over nighter out by the guide wire. I have to leave mid-day Saturday. Need to hual the duck boat home for some repairs. I dont want to drive at night with that thing. Call me when you get this.
    Hope I do good out there. Ill post pics if I do.

7. tigger_tat_55

tigger_tat_55 New Member

State:
    cali
    hi there,

dale, if you happen to being going to the river in the next few weeks and want some company let me know. i am home now and am looking to fish.

8. riverbud55

State:
    AZ Topock-/CA Riverside
    Name:
    Dale Miller
    hey tim glad to here from you,man was just thinking about you sitting out fishin and thinking you should be around soon, got back this last weekend fished with vulture(greg) did an all niter, got 1 small flat maybe 1 1/2lb did get some channels during the day sunday afternoon, ya man should be heading down there weekend after next, let me know and we can hook up, going to do some hunting soon, going to be a phesent hunt down there that the dfg is putting on and its free, wow somthing free from the gov. take care buddy

9. tigger_tat_55

tigger_tat_55 New Member

State:
    cali
    hi dale,

are you going to be down there the weekend of the 11th? I maybe able to get down there for the night and part of the day.

10. Billy Jo

Billy Jo New Member

State:
    Peoria , Arizona
    Hey Tim, welcome home. Are you going to be around for awhile? If so we will have to hook up with riverbud (Dale) and do soom fishing. What I need to do is get to the river and see if I can fined were the flatheads are. Dale and I need to take are boats and start looking for any deep holes from Mayflower camp grounds to the dam. As I can recall from all the trips I made up and down that area the deeps water I have seen is about 10 to12 foot. Them Flats got to be Holded up in that deeper water, now just to find them. Look foward to fishing with you again. Later Bill

Dale, Bill said Hey!!

11. tigger_tat_55

tigger_tat_55 New Member

State:
    cali
    hi there billy jo!

yup Im back for a bit. should be safe for at least a year or so. this is my 2nd time in 4 years getting sent away. would like to get down and fish before the weather turns to cold. if you or dale are going to fish soon let me know ill head down that way. hope to see you guys soon.

12. shania

shania New Member

State:
    San Leandro, Ca
    Hey fellows ("Tim", "Bill", "Dale", "Brian", "Vini", ect.),

I was just sittin' around, reading so therads & I just wanted to say hello.

How have you guys been?
    :boss:

You guys take it easy,
    Bert:cool2: & Shaina:0010:

:worship: :0a23:
    Bert & Phil

13. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    Doing fine Bert. Hope all is well with you. I know our raiders is taking a whipping this year, but 2 wins in a roll is a plus. LOl. Take care bro.

14. Guns & Cockpits

Guns & Cockpits New Member

State:
    California
    Howdy guys,

I'm a new guy on the board here, this is my first post matter of fact. I got a place I go to outside of Blythe as well, just a half mile south of Twin Palms at Wind Rivers. Just started fishing for cats out there, and I'm looking to improve on the two twelve pounders I caught last time. I know they get bigger than that! Any tips'd be appreciated, bait, hooks, etc. I'm also looking to buy a new rod and reel combo, so any suggestions on that would be nice also. The river is the only place I'll be fishing for cats, so it's pretty place specific. Thanks guys,

G&C

15. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    Welcome to BOC Erick,
    There are some brothers that fish in your area and have some great knowledge of the fishing spots. Hope you hook some monsters bro:wink:

16. shania

shania New Member

State:
    San Leandro, Ca
    :0a25: to the B.O.C. family Erick!!!!!! :big_smile:

Take it easy,
    Bert:cool2: & Shaina:0010:

:worship: :0a23:
    Bert & Phil

17. riverbud55

State:
    AZ Topock-/CA Riverside
    Name:
    Dale Miller
    hey bert all doing good here good to here from u dude ' yep to bad about the silver and black, lol

welcome to the boc erick, not sure of were your talkimg about for sure, i'm thinking its about 20 mile north of the dam, if your going for the flats try finding some slower moveing water around some structure trees , drop offs, and thing to slow down the curent for them to hide out behind, i know there some of the bigger one up there , iv heard of some 40lbers being cought up there , but iv only fished that part of the river once, let me know some time ur down there and we' ll hook up down there at lest twice a month,

hey tim them dates will work for me,wasn't sure until today about it, let me know and ill head out with u, dont know about fishen all nite cuz its starting to get cold down there early in the morn, bill what ua think about headen out? mayb fish up river untill late afternoon and then move down by the trailer and fish a few hours after dark and head in , got a spot near the the traler i fish thats not to hard to get back from after dark been getting some nice channels there and can never tell about them flats i have got some smaller ones there in the past, azflats has been getting the big ones on some carps head and thinking some mackerel heads may work if we cant get some carp, if not mayb a big channel will hit on it, cut bait may be working better this time of the year

ya all take care and good fishing

18. Guns & Cockpits

Guns & Cockpits New Member

State:
    California
    Hey thanks for the warm welcomes all. It's nice to meet some folks who love this stuff as much as I recently found out I do.

Anybody know much about fishing down around the Palos Verde dam? Seems like it would be a prime catfishin area, but I haven't gotten around to getting down there with a pole. If you guys are fishing it, what are you catching them with?

And Riverbud55, yea, almost exactly 20 miles north of the dam. Never tried fishing during the day, but the night bite is always fantastic during the summer time. My dad's been fishing off our dock for twenty some odd years now, and the norm is in the 10lb. range. But it's fast moving water, and I'm thinking the bigger cats like a more stagnant area, like right out in front of the Palos Verdes dam. Am I on the right track?

19. Billy Jo

Billy Jo New Member

State:
    Peoria , Arizona
    Hello All. Bert how are you doing, You thank your black & silver not doing well, are red birds suck.
    Dale I got so much stuff going on the this month I don't know when I will be fishing Again. Grandsons 12th B-Day this weekend of the 11th, my moms 90th B-Day the 17th,will be going to Long Beach for big party, the following week is turcky day. Maybe the first week in December, and I am with you about nigth fishing, to cold for this old man. But love the daytime fishing, weather just rigth not to hot and them channel cat will bite year round.
    Tim, now that you home we will have to spend more time at the river with Dale. Also you need to get your boat going again.
    We need to start working on time for a gathering at the river for 2007, sometime in May or June would be good time.
    Later Bill

20. tigger_tat_55

tigger_tat_55 New Member

State:
    cali
    welcome erik,

hi billy, dale, and the rest of the brothers.

the weekend of the 11th is good for me. i will leave here after work on fri. so I should get down there round 630 or so. going to meet a buddy of mine from az as well. am looking forward to some fishing. my plan is to fish thur the night and part of sat.

see you soon.