A new rod for me

Discussion in 'Misc Fishing Tackle Talk' started by gottafish, Dec 14, 2005.

1. gottafish

gottafish New Member

State:
    Chesapeake, VA
    Just finished putting this rod together.

What an odd looking rod ain't it!! :eek: Conventional rods with guides on top tend to want to roll under heavy load to get in a more "stable" position with the guides down. This "Spiral Wrap" eliminates that tendency. Their appearance is tough to get used to, but all you gotta do is fish it and you'd be sold :D

Man I can't wait to break this baby in!!

/Scott

Attached Files:

2. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    Nice looking rod Scott.
    Never used one with the spiral wrap but I can see where your saying they tend to roll over. Does the line hit on the rod any and does it effect casting any?

3. RamRod

RamRod New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Definitely a unique looking rod, I was thinking the same thing spoon.

4. Mutt

Mutt Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    Ca
    Name:
    Mutt
    my wife has one that is like that and it works fine. pretty unique if you ask me. now if she would let me use it once in a while lol

5. gottafish

gottafish New Member

State:
    Chesapeake, VA
    The line doesn't hit the blank at all. Notice in the pic of the rod, between the first two guides (where the line makes the transition), a very small guide has been added. This is called a bumper guide, which is only used on this specific type of Spiral (there are many). That guide is a size 8 fly rod guide and it's only purpose is to keep the line off the rod blank.

I don't know what kind of impact it has on casting distance. The rods I'm using this setup on are those where I'm not looking for top casting performance any way. Many top rodbuilders in the country say the effect is minimal though. It's catching on in bass fishing circles. I haven't got the guts to set up a long surf rod with a spiral wrap yet. I'm stil using the conventional setup on those :rolleyes: One of these days, when I can lay my hands on a cheap blank, I'll set one up and do some testing.

/Scott

6. Gary S.

Gary S. New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I don't know about everybody else, but I love it when somebody is brave enough to go out on a limb like that with a new design. I'm anxious to hear more about 'em.

7. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    It looks strange, but it sounds like its catching on.

8. tncatfishing

tncatfishing New Member

State:
    clk. tn
    Kinda hard to tell from the pick but is that a one piece pole? On a one piece pole would the role you are talking about be that noticable. All the poles that I have now are spincast, so I have not run across this yet. The small eyelet will it stand up to a very heavy fish?

9. gottafish

gottafish New Member

State:
    Chesapeake, VA
    Mark, that is a 1 piece rod. Regardless of the blank used, if the guides are on top - they will try to get under the blank under load. Because the fisherman is holding the reel on top, the tip will tend to twist on you. It's unavoidable on a conventionally built rod and aligning the guides on the spine makes no difference. Most don't even recognize that it is happening. There are some pics on the web that really illustrate this point. If I can find any I will post them here.

That small guide is under very little pressure due to it's location near the butt of the blank. There is very little flex here so the line merely passes through. The only pressure is laterally (towards the blank) and it is minimal. It's only purpose is to keep the line off the blank.

/Scott

10. tncatfishing

tncatfishing New Member

State:
    clk. tn
    Mostly I have used spincast rigs and now I have my first baitcast combo a shakespeare xterra, so this weekend I will probably see what you are talking about. Now that I think about it , it would be hard to make a one piece pole for a baitcast reel, it just didn't realize it at the time never owned one before and all.