a new item to add to my collection

Discussion in 'LOCAL KANSAS TALK' started by warcraft1975, Dec 16, 2009.

1. warcraft1975

warcraft1975 New Member

some of you know i collect alot of the old comm. fishing stuff from this area from the old river rats that used to do this.today i got handed something else to add to my collection.this hoopnet was made in 1981 by ernie higgins as a replacement for other nets this net is complete minus the rings that would go inside of it.the net is ten feet long and would have four foot around rings inside of it.the black twine you see inside of it is the throats for the net.granted it wasnt legal to do back then or now but it was done and in some famliys was done for almost 100 years around this area.and is fun to collect this stuff when you get the chance.the person i got this net from from is a member of the higgins famliy and long time friend.if only this net could talk.i think the coolest thing i have in my collection though is all the very longs talks i have had a chance to have with some of the best river rats this area has ever had.some of the stuff these guys tell ya will blow you away.nothing better than beer and conversation about fishing:smile,,http://s13.photobucket.com/albums/a297/warcraft1975/?action=view&current=hoopnet2.jpg

Last edited: Dec 16, 2009

2. warcraft1975

warcraft1975 New Member

well for what ever reason the best i can do with the pics is make them clickable links not sure why just yet

3. warcraft1975

warcraft1975 New Member

well not sure why i cant make the pics pop up but click on them and have a look see it works thats way.i tell ya something though i doubt these people ever had any thoughts about how much there lives and the storys they told fuled the imagineion of people like myself.far to often they seem surprised that some one wants to hear all about the fish they caught and the times they had on the river.to them it was a means to an end it was food and income.i wish they all had wrote it all down for all to read some very interesting stuff happened along the banks for sure but if you ever get offered to sit and drink shine with these folks drink small sips..lol i recently fell over backwards from takeing a big swig from a mason jar lol fun times i tell ya:smile2:

4. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    i to love the old stuff and all the old tells that go with it thanks for sharring:cool2:

5. plainsman

plainsman New Member Supporting Member

State:
    minnesota
    A home made net, pretty cool. When I was younger I used to like to talk to the older guys about the market hunting of ducks on the lakes. I liked talking to the older guys about what happened and when. I was told back during the depression it cost five or seven thousand dollars to bribe the lawmakers to put a limit of 100 on bullheads. Some folks used to live on em. Got to go to some of the places and trap muskrats and mink. Times have sure changed.

I liked the stories, even the coon hunters. One bad one was early in 20th century a cold front came in real sudden and lots of guys were stuck on the lake in t-shirts it got real cold that day. in the teens I think.

6. warcraft1975

warcraft1975 New Member

yeah i dont know how long it would take to make one by hand but thats how it was made by these guys one knot at a time.

7. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    Tom F, thats pretty cool, as long as it stays in the house.:smile2:
    What else is in your collection?

8. warcraft1975

warcraft1975 New Member

lol yeah it stays in the house its to valueable to mess up at least to me anyways. i have a ton of stuff in my collection from signed netting needles to signed copies of books spear heads grab hooks(aka blowflys) old crank phone that was used to get fish old steal traps signed and tagged the list goes on wife says to much i say not enough

9. JEFFRODAMIS

JEFFRODAMIS New Member

State:
    TEXAS
  10. warcraft1975

warcraft1975 New Member

i geuss its the history of it all that makes it so interesting to me every peice in the collection has a story that belongs with it. so of it i have cased up with a story card inside of it kinda like in the museums and some of it i have waiting to be cased..lolthats my intentions to have it all cased with story cards in all of them when i kick the bucket if my kids decied they dont want it i really hope it all gets donnated to the history museum and saved for ever

11. kmcalester

kmcalester Active Member

State:
    Kansas City
    Tom, that sounds like a worth while hobby to have. Makes me want to jump on the bandwagon.:confused2:

12. warcraft1975

warcraft1975 New Member

i would i really enjoy it and where your located theres alot of local river history there maybe even more so i know of alot of it that went on up there for sure.it all starts with that one object and a story then it snow balls from there then you ask for a peice or someone offers it to you and it keeps going alot of mine i didnt ask for but i was so interested into it and all ready had some people want to add them selves or someone in there famliy to your collection.to me at least its very rewarding i know more about this area of the kaw and the goings on then i ever had before oh the storys you will hear from how something was made to how it was used to catches made with it to there biggest fish ever.its alot like talking to your granddad or the like and hearing all these old stories of how things was way back when.

13. n2fishn

n2fishn New Member

State:
    Topeka,Kan
    Sounds like some cool stuff Tom....We all have to have a hobby/collection of something.

I know some that collect beer bottle caps and has more than anyone I know.:big_smile:

Mine is collecting old wooden duck decoys.I have some hand carved and were used on the missouri,and some from the upper east coast to the south coast.

14. warcraft1975

warcraft1975 New Member

thanks for the positive posts guys