A new chapter in my life

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by splitshot, May 28, 2007.

1. splitshot

splitshot New Member

State:
    Coxsakie,N.Y.
    I hope you folks don't find this boring but, i wanted to share with you whats going on in my life. As some of you may or may not know i drove truck for 31 yrs. up until 2004. I broke both bones in my leg on a loading dock which resulted in a lot of nerve and tissue damage, that was not repairable. After being out of work for a year i returned to driving a truck, but found i couldn't hold the clutch down and it was very difficult for me to get in and out of the tractor. I had to quit my job and go on Social security disability, which i will be on until i reach full retirement age. I soon found out that fishing six days a week could be quite expensive so i applied for and got a job working in sporting goods three days a week. its a great job and i enjoy helping new fisherman and kids pick out fishing tackle and i really enjoyed the interaction with people. Truck driving can be a lonely profession, so this was a great experience for me. A month ago i started having problems being on my feet for long periods of time so i had my hrs. reduced to sixteen hrs. a week. Well that really didn't help much so i was considering finding something else to pay for my fishing addiction that didn't require being on my feet eight hrs a day. My wife recently took a job working for a ranch resort only about three miles from where i live. Three weeks after meeting the owners of the ranch Mark the owner asked Beth if i would stop by he wanted to talk to me. Well i went to see him this evening and he treated Beth and i to a steak dinner and asked me if i would be interested in working for him. After hearing his offer i quickly accepted. One of my responsibilities will be renting out canoes and row boats for the fishing pond. (ill post some pics of the pond when i get the chance) I will also be responsible for organizing a weekly fishing contest for the kids. as well as being a all around handy man. My hrs are going to be kinda screwie so you may see me on the site at all different times. This should be much easier on me and although i am limited to the number of hrs i can work it will help us a great deal financially. Well Brothers and Sisters gotta get my butt to bed soon I'm working Monday. I hope y'all have a safe and relaxing Memorial day.

2. Love Them Cats

Love Them Cats New Member

State:
    Vinita, Oklahoma
    Hey Steve, good luck on your new job!

Sounds like it'll be a pretty good job?

Your still involved in fishing and getting paid at the same time, you can't beat that?

I bet you'll have a great time with those kids also with their fishing?

Ken

3. catstalker459

catstalker459 New Member

State:
    state line city, indiana
    not boring at all, and the main thing is u are gettin to do something u like to do interact with kids, and be outdoors. wish u the best of luck

4. pk_powell

pk_powell New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Congradulations that is wonderful news.Hope you and Beth can get along fine with this new job and it won't be too hard on either of ya's health! Good Luck and happy fishin to ya!!---------Pat:smile2:

5. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    Steve, best of luck to you and the new job. Sounds like a fun job

6. alands94

alands94 Active Member

State:
    Lebanon, I
    Congratulations! It sounds like the perfect job for you. I hope your health improves as well.

7. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Good going Steve. I have said I wanted to live long enough to collect my first SS check. Got my wish and then some. Now collect SS and a disability check. (Gotta be careful what you wish for) It doesn't cut the mustard either financially or MENTALLY. If you work hard all your life and enjoy it and then can't it makes you (me anyhow) feel kinda useless. Hard seeing the wife leave the house to make some bucks. Enjoy your new job. Enjoy those kids. Enjoy feeling like you are accomplishing something. Don't stop sending in those Cowboy off the Day thoughts though. Postbeetle.

8. CarolinaCats

CarolinaCats New Member

State:
    Rural Hall
    Steve Im glad you getting to do what you really like doing. Man,by no means was this boring. If anything its an inspiration to many of us.
    Enjoy Monday!
    Teddy

9. rosscatman

rosscatman Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Good luck Steve hope it works out well.

10. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    ALLRITE! This sounds just like what the doctor ordered.

11. punkin570

punkin570 New Member

State:
    MS
    Steve,
    That was no where near boring. I had no idea you had been injured to that degree. I am so glad you have found somthing to not only help you financially but will help you emotionally, and also be of service to otehrs who will want/need your wisdom. sounds like a job i would love to have. You never know about people til they open up and share with ya and i feel blessed to know you wanted to share with us. Thanks for being an inspiration to all of us. Happy Memorial Day and good luck on the first day of the new job.

12. GatorT

GatorT New Member

State:
    Camden, South Carolina
    steve thats great news and u still get to help the kids!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:smile2::smile2::smile2::smile2:

13. Ol Man

Ol Man New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Good luck on this chapter. Some of us just sit 'n' rot...:lol:

Ol' Man
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    The idea is to die young as late as possible.

14. jeremiad

jeremiad Well-Known Member

Name:
    Unspecified
    Congratulations! It is great to know of someone determined to keep on working. I know several who gave up a whole lot sooner than you have.

It sounds like you will have a great job! Now, I need to get back to work myself... :embarassed:

15. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

Pennsylvaniacatchaser Well-Known Member

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    Great story Steve! It sounds like a perfect job for you!:smile2:The fishing contests should be great fun!:cool2:

16. Hope

Hope New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Steve,

I'm excited for you... this sounds ideal! You've got alot of gumption, brother, not to mention God openin doors in all the right directions :lol:
    Thanks for sharing with us and I just hope your first day is grand!

17. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    sounds good steve , one of the main things with employment is being happy with the job oh and the money

18. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    Steve, glad to hear your story and especially about getting the new job. Congratulations and hope things continue to go better for you.

19. Flintman

Flintman New Member

State:
    OKC, OKLA.
    Sounds good Steve, working with those kids will be very rewarding.

20. Wil

Wil New Member

State:
    Minden Nebraska
    good luck brother