A memory of my father

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by Tyme2fish, Sep 12, 2008.

1. Tyme2fish

Tyme2fish New Member

State:
    Greenville,Indi
    In 1971 I took a furlough from the Army in order to go on a fishing trip to Strawberry Lake in Minesota with my father.

One evening on the lake, we observed lightning way off in the distance in the reflection off the clouds and setting sun. A slight hint of thunder would slowly roll over us as we set and fished. There was no danger to us, just a wonderful far off display of Mother Nature

My father served in the Pacific theater in Guadalcanal during WWII. I inquired if the distant lightning and the thunder reminded him of long ago battles. He replied, "Yes. I was witness to a naval battle far out at sea over the horizon from my fantage point high on a hill in the jungle and those lightning flashes and thunder do resemble that battle." That was about the only time he shared any memories of battle and warfare he endured.

We then went to shore and were loading our fishing gear into the small camping travel we had towed with us as our residence for the week.

I was exiting the trailer with a 7 foot rod as dad attempted to enter the trailer. My rod tip went straight into his belly and the look on his face indicated that a Japaneese soldier and "run him thru" with a bayonet.

A split second later he knew what had happened and starting laughing. We both enjoyed the laugh and then fixed supper and downed a few "brown pops" to finish the day.

Dad passed in 1982 and I still miss him every day.

2. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    Interesting story Rob.

My dad died in 1965.

3. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    Thanks for sharing your story Rob. Sounds like the Lord has blessed you with many good memories of your father.

4. dinger66

dinger66 New Member

State:
    north alabama
    i have those good memorys too , and i work on makeing them with my girls to . do you ever stop missing them? i think of my dad everyday

5. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Thanks Rob for sharing your story. I'm sure you were both proud of each other. I lost my father a few years back. You never stop missing them.

6. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Dads are pretty Special, I lost my dad 2yrs. ago & miss him every day.

7. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    Gone but never forgotten.Always in your heart and the fond memories.Thank you for sharing the memories of your father with us.

8. fishnvince

fishnvince New Member

State:
    na
    Real nice, Rob. Thanks. Some of the best times are spent with people we love

9. ldw45

ldw45 Member

State:
    Illinois
    Rob, Thanks so much for telling your story. Brought a lump to my throat and memories of my dad who died 5 years ago. He was a bomber pilot in WWII, shot down on his 17th mission over what was then Yugoslovia, missing in action 46 days. We raised cattle and operated a logging business together. As we worked He sometimes shared some of the experiences from his past. I sure miss being able to seek his advice. In my eyes he was one of the wisest men I ever knew.

10. Ulikedew

Ulikedew New Member

State:
    Georgetown IN
    Rob thanks for sharing buddy.

11. CuzICan

CuzICan New Member

State:
    Fayetteville, A
    THanks for the share and I have been told that as long as I am alive my dad will never die...I love that too!

12. tiny b

tiny b Active Member

State:
    TX
    Thanks for sharing. I can still clearly remember my dad taking me fishing before he passed in 1961.

13. River Hobo

River Hobo New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    My father passed a few summers ago and just the other day I was working on some thing that had me perplexed and the thought of calling Dad and asking for help just popped into my head. Oh, can't do that. :sad2: After all this time the thoughts of him just come popping into my head.
    Hopfully they'll never stop.

14. jailcop2

jailcop2 New Member

State:
    iowa
    My father was a tank driver in WW2 had memories of thing things he had seen til the end I believe, we lost him last Christmas day 12:10 A.M. I appriciate your sharing.
    Brian