A look back

Discussion in 'Guns - Blackpowder' started by steve_b124, Sep 13, 2009.

1. steve_b124

steve_b124 New Member

State:
    south carolina
    When I was growing up Dad had an old Ithica featherweight in 20 ga. I always wanted that gun, dreamed about it when I was a boy. The times I got to carry it rabbit hunting were like a little Heaven to me. Unfortunatly, someone stole that and several other guns back in the 70's.

Yesterday a family member who owed me money came by and asked if I would consider an old pump for the last $120 he owed. Low and behold it was an old 20 ga. Ithica pump. The finish is mostly turned to patina, but the old gun is solid and the wood is still good. Of course I took the gun on trade and just keep looking at it and shouldering it. Brings back many memories. Its got the old corn cob fore-end, plain walnut stock, 28" modified barrel, just like dad's old gun. I can't wait to carry it hunting.

God Bless All,
    Steve

2. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Congrats Steve on finding a gun that brings back fond memories. I know you will forever cherish it.

3. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy New Member

State:
    Virginia
    That is great Luck. I always admired that gun.:big_smile:

4. bedbug jr

bedbug jr New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Know what you mean, I've got a Fox Model B dbl barrel .410 that belonged to my dad. It's still in mint condition and I've only fired two rounds thru it in the fifteen plus years that I've had it. Don't think dad fired many more than that:big_smile: Stay safe and enjoy the momories!!!:wink:

5. Poppa

Poppa New Member

State:
    Pinson, Al
    Good for you. That 37 is the real deal.

6. steve_b124

steve_b124 New Member

State:
    south carolina
    Okay guys, 3 months have gone by since I found the old Featherweight. I decided to restore the old gun to like new condition. Under the guidance of a gunsmith friend of mine I replaced all screws, pins and springs in the gun. I replaced the shell stop that was very worn. After many hours of cleaning and prep (don't ever use cold blue on a gun, it's a pain to get off) I blued her with the correct factory bluing and finished the stock with the correct factory varnish. The old gun looks better than she did when she left the factory. The only flaw I can find is where the scribe slipped a little when I deepened the engraving after polishing. Most will never see it, they will think it is part of the engraving, just looks like one of the lines is longer than it should be. I am going to take the gun to my 70 year old father as a gift on Christmas Day. He doesn't really hunt any more, but he will get a kick out of the old Ithica, it was his favorite.

7. BubbaCat

BubbaCat New Member

State:
    Arizona
    Better have a camera ready, I'd like to see the smile on his face ,what a wonderful gift.. :big_smile:
    I used a 16ga model 37 of my fathers growing up. :big_smile:

8. steve_b124

steve_b124 New Member

State:
    south carolina
    Sorry it P1010069.jpg took so long to get the pictures uploaded of me giving the old Featherweight to dad. Here are 2 pix - he looks awed at it!

P1010068.jpg

9. Jeremy Sheffey

Jeremy Sheffey New Member

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    cool deal man, glad you got to put a smile on his face....