A look back at the 1800's

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by chrisblue, Jun 22, 2006.

1. chrisblue

chrisblue New Member

State:
    SC
    Does anybody have any history reports of what caused the decline of 150 plus lb blues that where caught in the 1800's.Was it over fishing, mother nature, or what.We all talk about and argue about conservation and what to do about it.Maybe we should try to look at what happened in the last century to help with the conservation today.I dont know what everybody elses opinion is but I think that the potential for 150 lbr is gettin better every year.Just in the last 15 years there has been numerous fish caught over 100lbs.So maybe we as conservationists are doin something right or maybe mother nature is making another cycle of huge blues.

2. shortbus

shortbus New Member

State:
    indiana
    I think this is somewhat like the heards of bison, elk and caribou we used to have in this country back in the 1800's. This country wasn't nearly as populated as it is now, especialy with eresponsible sportsman. Waters weren't poluted back then,,, I could go on and on. Fish are getting smaller,lol

3. fishinpals

fishinpals New Member

State:
    Virginia, Illinois
    The Wolfman's reply nailed it.

4. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Please, Don't get me started. I'll put it this way. Those big fish are gone because someone took them out of the water. You may get several reasons but it is simple.

5. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I doubt we will ever know for certain, but my money is on

overfishing (they dont' live long enough to get to that size anymore),
    river alterations (dams and channelization - destruction of habitat),
    and loss of good genes (probably monor compared to other 2)

Deffinately in that order.

6. fishnfool68

fishnfool68 New Member

State:
    Near Tulsa Oklahoma
    I think all the answers can be summed up in one word-human beings.Its our fault that so many things in nature have been hurt,however it is up to us to set it right again.I'm not a tree hugger,to me thats a little too much.I believe we should be responsible outdoorsmen&women.Its been proven in areas of abuse on nature where we cleaned up our act nature as taken care of itself.If we continue to follow water quality guidlines, fish and build on water responsibly we continue to see the the fish populations strengthen.Society has become one of instant gradification,nature is not like this.We can't push a button and fix everything instantly.It requires time and responsible people.Thats my take ya'll.:smile2:

7. Norm

Norm New Member

State:
    Freeport, IL
    Are you kidding about deer and rabbits. They both are coming out of our ears because neither has any natural enimies any more, and killing them is illegal in most areas and at most times except during hunting season. Don't even get me started on the out of control geese problem.

I suspect that the decline of the really big flatheads is mainly because in the 1800's there was NO ONE here in most of the country outside of the East and West coasts. So now with sport fishing (and all forms of commercial fishing), the number of fish available to get big, let alone really big, is fewer. Those really big fish are probably twice as old or more than even the 50 #ers so it doesn't take much to have virtually none of them. There were only a few of them even in the 1800s.

Actually Sport Hunters and Fishermen are probably nature's biggest ally. We all want more and bigger of what ever we hunt/fish so we help pass laws, and encourage other people to be more conservation minded. I don't think anyone here is a nature nut. I am a conservationist with the appropriate use of nature in mind. But what most nature nuts don't understand, is that if no one is allowed to interact with nature, then no one has a reason to conserve it. For most people, the more you interact with nature, the greater is your willingness to take good care of it. Who wants to throw your own trash around after you have to deal with others trash.

8. RiverKing

RiverKing New Member

State:
    Yellow Spr
    I have to agree with ALL OF THE ABOVE

9. catseeman

catseeman New Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    There are good points raised by all. If more people believed an practiced good conservation the world would take care of its self. I believe as a fiserman and a hunter that we finance the resource.