A Long Night

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by confederate, May 5, 2006.

1. confederate

confederate New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    At the last minute one Saturday afternoon, My fishing partner Ed and I decided we would go to Percy Priest Lake and put out jugs for a few hours. Reaching the boat ramp at dark we knew we were running late to get the jugs out, a short ride took us to the cove over by the old Jones Mill boat ramp, We baited up and set out around 40 jugs, grabbed us a sandwich and a cold drink and kicked back. All was quiet and a nearly constant check of the jugs had produced nothing, not even the first fish. Ed and I were disappointed that it was 11:00 and in 3 hours we hadn't caught the first fish. We checked the bait on the jugs and for the most part they were all still baited. Ed said Let's give them a couple more hours and then we would pack up and head home. We were trying to determine why the fish were not biting when the first jug went down. FISH ON! I hollered, as we headed for the bobbing jug. As we got to the jug Ed said look we got another one over yonder dancing. I reached and got the first jug and was awarded with a nice 1 1/2 pound channel cat just as pretty as a picture, As we made our way to the next bobbing jug we were feeling better about not having to go home empty handed. The next jug awarded us with another fiesty channel cat, I rebaited the jug and started looking for more dancing. After about another hour and no more bites we decided we would call it a night and gather up the jugs and go home. After picking up about 10 of the jugs Ed hollered "FISH ON" and we proceeded toward the bobbing jug, about that time another jug took off across the lake. After a long night we finally got all the jugs and the fish in the boat and headed for home around 4 in the morning. When we got home we started checking our nights catch and we ended up with 7 fish, the smallest being a 1 1/2 pound channel and the largest being a 6 pound blue. Not a great night I said to Ed as we prepared to part company, but thats why they call it Fishing and not Catching.

2. Dosse

Dosse New Member

State:
    Mississippi
    Nothing wrong with that trip, it sure could have been worse

3. confederate

confederate New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Yeah but the kicker was being up for about 23 hours straight....

4. steve-o

steve-o New Member

State:
    ohio
    doesn't sound like a bad night to me!

5. Gone Fishing

Gone Fishing New Member

State:
    Florida
    I wish all my trips were as good as your bad one. LOL

6. kspor

kspor New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    Man I have got skunked on cats my last 9 trips. hope some of your bad luck rubs off.

7. JMarrs328

JMarrs328 New Member

State:
    York/Harrisburg, PA
    That sounds like a pretty good night to me. You should see some of my bad days!!!

8. paleocaver

paleocaver New Member

State:
    USA
    Yeah, not a bad night by some standards. I'd take just getting out for a night of fishing. Kinda in-between partners now that I've moved 75 miles away from "home". Current partner is kinda day-oriented, plus I'm unsure of night launching spots here.

May have to take a ride up to Mid Tenn and join you guys for a night of juggin'.

9. IL Hunter

IL Hunter New Member

State:
    Normal, IL
    Sounds like a good night to me...who needs sleep anyway.

10. catseeman

catseeman New Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    IF i get any cats it is a good night besides an hour of fishing is worth 2 of sleeping ,and anhour of catching is worth 2 of fishing. Things have priorities . all in how yu look at it. A really long night is no bites at all , sitting in the rain with wet matches and warm beer.

11. confederate

confederate New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Hey Paleocaver,
    I'm from Huntsville, been planning on coming down and doing alittle jugging on the Tennessee down around Ditto Landing, probably be in July maybe we can hook up and get us a few of dem Alabama Fatties......