A long night alone on the Ohio river!

Discussion in 'MEMBER FISHING REPORTS (BECOME A FISHING LEGEND)' started by CBH, May 22, 2007.

1. CBH

CBH New Member

State:
    WV
    Yesterday evening I hooked up the boat and headed for the river, anticipating fishing until around 11 pm then heading back home. I set out the rods and had action within minutes. At around 10:30 I had a couple of barges go by, and I noticed that as usual, they were sucking the water right out from under my boat. No big deal, it will come back up, it always does. Boy was I wrong. I think that someone pulled the plug because the water level dropped even further than usual and left me stranded on a sand bar, and there was no way that I could even budge my boat! I was stuck. I stayed there all night long, hoping the water would come back up. It never did. At 5:30 AM I called one of my friends, and he came to the rescue. It was all we could do to shove my boat into deeper water. It took several attempts, but we got it! I ended up with 4 flatheads, (biggest was 35", 19 lbs.), 2 Hybrid bass, 2 sauger, and one smallmouth. The flatheads were caught on live bluegills, and the other fish I caught on a Rooster tail right at the break of day while waiting for my help. It was a long cool night, but I'm thankful that I caught those fish!
    Here's a pic of the 19 lb cat.

Attached Files:

2. dougc

dougc Active Member

State:
    Independen
    Sounds like a long night.

On the Missouri River, the last place you want to be when a barge goes by is in the shallow water. A sure recipe for disaster!

3. slipbobber

slipbobber New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    might have been a disaster. but atleast you had a good excuse to be out all night lol.

4. JPritch

JPritch New Member

State:
    Lynchburg, VA
    Lol!:lol:

Hey, look at the bright side, good chance to take a long nap with nature!

BTW, I've been there, done that. Fished the James for the first time in my boat and didn't take into consideration the tide changes. Got stuck in mud, but luckily was able to power through it to slightly deeper water.

5. tncatfishing

tncatfishing New Member

State:
    clk. tn
    Hopefully you had some comfortable seats in that boat. Atleast you caught some good fish.

6. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

Pennsylvaniacatchaser Well-Known Member

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    Wow! That's wild being stuck all night on a bar!:crazy:Good thing it didn't storm or anything ugly like that!:eek:oooh:Nice Flathead!:smile2:

7. jdstraka

jdstraka Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, Iowa
    Name:
    John
    The only thing that would make that deal worse is if a Man ran Out of Beer.LOL. JD.
    :eek:h::beat_shot:

8. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Congrats on a nice fish!

9. solomon

solomon New Member

State:
    MS
    Looks like the fishing made up for it. If I had to be stuck somewhere all night, I wouldn't mind if it was on the river fishing. :big_smile:

10. kkattfish

kkattfish New Member

State:
    AZ
    lol, i agree with jds
    glad everything turned out okay for you