A little trivia

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by FS Driver, Jul 6, 2007.

1. FS Driver

FS Driver New Member

State:
    swansea,illinoi
    Subject: Can you answer these?????
    This is a quiz for people who know everything!
    I found out in a hurry that I didn't.
    These are not trick questions.
    They are straight questions with straight answers.

1. Name the one sport in which neither the spectators nor the participants know the score or the leader until the contest ends.
    2. What famous North American landmark is constantly moving backward?
    3. Of all vegetables, only two can live to produce on their own for several growing seasons.
    All other vegetables must be replanted every year. What are the only two perennial vegetables?
    4. What fruit has its seeds on the outside?
    5. In many liquor stores, you can buy pear brandy, with a real pear inside the bottle.
    The pear is whole and ripe, and the bottle is genuine; it hasn't been cut in any way. How did the pear get inside the bottle?
    6. Only three words in standard English begin with the letters "dw" and they are all common words. Name two of them.
    7. There are 14 punctuation marks in English grammar. Can you name at least half of them?
    8. Name the only vegetable or fruit that is never sold frozen, canned, processed, cooked, or in any other form except fresh.
    9. Name 6 or more things that you can wear on your feet beginning with the letter "S."

2. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Socks, Sneekers, Sandals, Ski Boots, Snow Shoes, Stilettos?

Hey, at least I tried. Did I come close to any of them? Acouple were just a shot in the dark, and I really have no idea. Like the landmark...I'm hoping that it's moving due to continental drift. And the pear...Suprisingly, considering the ammount of alcohol that I've sold, I've never seen one of these bottles, so I haven't got a clue.

3. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK
    dwarf, dwell, dweeb, and dwindle:smile2:

4. FS Driver

FS Driver New Member

State:
    swansea,illinoi
    matt thanks for participation you had a lot of them right .
    phil you made a new word for this dweeb should definantly be added:smile2:,
    here is the answers , i was hopeing a few more tried .
    Answers To Quiz:
    1. The one sport in which neither the spectators nor the participants know the score or the leader until the contest ends. Boxing
    2. North American landmark constantly moving backward. Niagara Falls.
    (The rim is worn down about two and a half feet each year because of the millions of gallons of water that rush over it every minute.)
    3. Only two vegetables that can live to produce on their own for several growing seasons. Asparagus and rhubarb.
    4. The fruit with its seeds on the outside. Strawberry.
    5. How did the pear get inside the brandy bottle? It grew inside the bottle.
    (The bottles are p laced over pear buds when they are small, and are wired in place on the tree. The bottle is left in place for the entire growing season. When the pears are ripe, they are snipped off at the stems.)
    6. Three English words beginning with dw. Dwarf, dwell and dwindle.
    7. Fourteen punctuation marks in English grammar. Period, comma, col on, semicolon, dash, hyphen, apostrophe, question mark, exclamation point, quotation marks, brackets, parenthesis, braces, and ellipses.
    8. The only vegetable or fruit never sold, frozen, canned, processed, cooked, or in any other form but fresh. Lettuce.
    9. Six or more things you can wear on your feet beginning with "s". Shoes, socks, sandals, sneakers, slippers, skis, skates, snowshoes, stockings, stilts.
    PLEASE DO YOUR PART....... Today is National Mental Health Day.
    You can do your part by remembering to send an e-mail to at least one unstable person

5. willcat

willcat New Member

State:
    texas
    pretty soon even in boxing you will know the score thru the 4th,8th, & 12th rounds due to new rules of governing bodies in different organizations--ie-wbo.wbc etc, pretty sad i hate it that way i seems if it is a blowout or even a close match both fighters will be able to know during the match--soooooooo sad i like boxing very much!!!

6. bilyjojimbob

bilyjojimbob New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    we got 6 out of 9 right. wheres my prize?

7. kat in the hat

State:
    Missouri
    I got a question about #7. Since when is an elipse punctuation, AND what about the andversand (&)? Not punctuation?

Also, admittedly, I forgot about aspargus, but onions will grow perinially if they are not all harvested, or does this not count, or are they not vegetables? Maybe it's because the plant itself will not grow back if harvested. Answered my own question I think. lol.

That is too cool about the pears.

8. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK
    actually, Darryl, dweeb is now in the dictionary...i just looked it up in merriam-webster:big_smile:

9. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK
    i believe the word you are looking for is ampersand:wink:

10. kat in the hat

State:
    Missouri
    Thanks! So, is it an abbreviation, symbol, punctuation, or what? Also, I still wanna know when an elipse is used as punctuation. Can an obtuse triangle be used as punctuation, or just an elipse? Hey, I'm new at this english thing LMAO.:smile2:

11. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Hey Kat. Those little square guys are now considered punctuation.:cool2::confused2::angry::crazy::big_smile::smile2::roll_eyes::eek:oooh::tounge_out: Interpret that.

12. kat in the hat

State:
    Missouri
    Interprit this...:wink::eek:oooh::crazy::embarassed::eek:oooh: :roll_eyes:

13. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

This is the first time I'd seen this Darryl, and you already went and posted the answers! I love trivia of almost any kind, so thanks bro. I didn't know the answer to #1, knew Niagara Falls, got asparagus (it's my fav), but not rhubarb.....I answered #s 4,5,7 & 9 correctly, but I was still thinkin' about DW words and wracking my brain to come up with lettuce for #8 when I saw your second post :roll_eyes:.