A little suprised at what I thought was a "good" spot

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by loki1982, Jul 14, 2006.

1. loki1982

loki1982 New Member

State:
    Texas
    There is only 1 place on my local lake that has a good amount of trees. I set out at 8pm tonight with the idea that I would put a trotline out and take 3 poles with liver hotdog and shad to fish with. I put the trotline out in about 16-19 foot of water. I started looking for a nice tree to tie up to to fish with RnR and notice that no where in about 150-200 yards that I search showed any fish at all on the fish finder. The area near the shore out for about 30 feet is about 4 foot deep, it then drops pretty fast to 13-15 foot and then ends at about 20 foot in the middle. There must be 100 tree tops every hundred yards or so. The water on my fish finder was showing 87 at 8pm and down to 84 by midnight. I was quite suprised that with that much cover there wouldnt be any bait fish, crappie, sandbass or cats showing up. In the end I moved outside the cove to open water and started to see fish in 21 fot of water. I drifted around for about 30 minutes without a nibble. Forgot to bring drinks and I was hot and thirsty so I left skunked.

2. TA2D

TA2D New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Could have just been a bad night, sounds like it would be a good spot. Were there any mulberry trees in the area, those are always good for channels when they are dropping berries.

Aaron

TA2D

3. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    From what you explained, sounds like the fish were not in the structure because they were not active (feeding) at that time. Chances are when you found the fish on the finder, they wouldnt have been feeding anyway. Try it again before sunrise, bet you will get better results.

4. TA2D

TA2D New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Sounds like you should try at different times of the day.

Aaron

TA2D

5. catseeman

catseeman New Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    You might try searching the tree for birds nests,woodpecker holes, any activity. I've narrow my search more than once doing this and had good results. Also fish the shadow side of the stucture.

6. Ellis

Ellis New Member

State:
    Yellow Springs, Ohio
    Just bad luck... Or maybe even wrong time. Sometimes fish might be more active on a hot day:crazy: It all depends on where your at. Fish can and will do almost anything.

7. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    That sounds like a great spot brother. With all that cover and such, like the others have said. I would try again, dont give up on it.

8. LarryW

LarryW New Member

State:
    Abbeville Louisiana
    I would not count off such a spot as being bad. It just might be you tried it at the wrong time of day. Check it out again at prime feeding times just before sun rise or sun set.

9. Taliesin

Taliesin New Member

State:
    Missouri
    From what you describe I would say it is a good spot, but it was just a little too warm for them at that time. You started to see fish at 21 feet and the structure was at 13 to 20?

You might have seen them at 21 as they were moving towards the structure too.

10. tncatfishing

tncatfishing New Member

State:
    clk. tn
    I have had that happen to me , thinking a spot looks so good it should produce fish. Try it at different times of the day and set out the trotlines and check in 12 hour shifts.

11. bhunt

bhunt New Member

State:
    *Required*
    If you are fishing for blues I have caught more in open water than standing timber. Just because you dont see fish on the depth finder doesnt mean there not there. You are looking at a very small area behind the boat with a depth finder and even when you do see fish on the finder it could still be a turtle our a floating log under the water our some other object. Im no pro but I had a guide talk to me one day about depth finders he uses them to find structure and he will fish there even if he doesnt see fish on the depth finder. Sounds like you are fishing a good area. Good luck.

12. RiverKing

RiverKing New Member

State:
    Yellow Spr
    Hey Jared, Sometimes you win some, and some time you loose some...Youll get them next time brother!!

13. dcaruthers

dcaruthers New Member

State:
    Alabama
    Is it possible that the fish were hugging the structure so close that you could not get your finder over them? Just wondering. Sounds like there should have been something roaming at least at any time of the day.

14. channelcat_tracker

channelcat_tracker New Member

State:
    Iowa
    yea thats whats happening to me right now. im in a dry spell!

15. Patmansc

Patmansc Well-Known Member

State:
    Cordova, TN
    Jared, that sounds like a great spot, but with the water being so warm the fish were probably hanging out where there was a little more oxygen.

16. photocat

photocat New Member

State:
    HOCO, Maryland
    sounds like a good spot to throw some chum out... also sounds like you may have not been marking them but they may have been there just too close to the trees to know it or your graph to distinguish it...

Also give it a few more tries... also try coming back in a different season, spring or fall maybe even winter if its not too cold for you... they'll be there at some point...

17. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

I would try a changing the time you were there and would fish the outside edges of the structure both shallow and deep. It sounds like a good spot and fish should be coming through it on the prowl.

18. joesf

joesf New Member

State:
    Bloomington IL
    In the summer I have more luck fishing shallow cover right next to the deep water a night and the deep water in early morning.

19. loki1982

loki1982 New Member

State:
    Texas
    Sorry I didnt follow up sooner.

The trotline the next morning had 1 ,6.5# blue on it and 1 ,2# blue. During midday it showed alot of fish in the stumps. It getting too hot to fish though, it hit 103 this weekend. I think im going to wait a bit before going back out, ive never had much luck during the summer.

Had some nice experiences though. I saw a mother racoon with 3 babies feeding at the water, I almost caught a bat that was curious about why I was shaking my pole to get it untangled. I guess it thought it was a bug and it hovered around my pole for about 10 seconds. Then while loading the boat up A coyote walked about 100 yards form me under one of the lights.

20. blindfly69

blindfly69 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    try it again sometime....or tell me where it is and i'll check it out for you lol....i hate settin up on a place you think is great and then not catching anything