a little paraffin wax will do ya

Discussion in 'Sinker Making Institute' started by Jeremy Sheffey, Dec 29, 2009.

1. Jeremy Sheffey

Jeremy Sheffey New Member

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    commenced to pouring sinkers again today, and in taking some of the advice you all have given me, i used some paraffin wax to help purify my lead. it worked well, however a little word of caution. a whole tea candle is to much. i thought it would just flare up a little, but instead i about caught myself on fire when it ignited and flared up about 4 feet. it was kinda funny since i didnt get hurt, but i thought i would pass that piece of info along to some of the other guys new to pouring lead.

also i took some of your alls advice and brought my lead to a lower temp and cleaned it up a little bit better with the wax, and took my time pouring and let the molds cool a little more, my sinkers turned out quite a bit better.

2. flatheadslayer

flatheadslayer New Member

State:
    Thomaston, Geor
    what does the wax acually do?i know i've heard this before,just don't quite understand what it does to clean it up.thanx

3. Jeremy Sheffey

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    after i got a majority of the gunk out, i added the wax and it brought some of the left over gunk to the top and bunched it together. why it does it technically im not sure, but it does.

4. Catfishboy1995

Catfishboy1995 New Member

State:
    Council Bluffs
    yes a whole tea candle is too much unless you cookin about 100 lbs at a time...for 10-20 lbs a pea sized piece of wax is suffecient...thats pretty funny though!!

5. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    Jeremy!! Glad ya didn't get hurt. That is a prime example more is not always better:wink:

Preston I think the impurities in the lead has a few degrees higher melting point than the lead the wax cools them just a bit and lets them float while the lead being heavier sinks to the bottom as it stays in liquid form. JMO!! I'm not a scientist by no means and that may be completely out in left field. If it is I hope someone comes by and corrects it.

6. Jeremy Sheffey

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    ken that makes good enough sense to me, other thing i was thinking is that maybe the flame will draw out the rest of the O2 and in the process make all the other gases draw to the top. while drawing them up it would create an upward flow in the lead causing more of the impurities, that have been cold (as ken stated) to come to the top. I have NO IDEA if that is on the right line or not. i was a football player not a scholar in school. haha ive just been thinking a lot about it over the last 24 hours or so.

7. JEFFRODAMIS

JEFFRODAMIS New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    make a wax ball with gun powder in it..cap it off with more wax or hot glue... toss it in there

then go to the ER

8. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    All it takes is a big drop of water. You don't need gun powder with molten lead to have an EXPLOSION.

9. kawriverrat

kawriverrat Member

State:
    KANSAS
    The sweat of your brow can be enough to make a lasting memory with scars.

10. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    This is so true. just like a lan d mine exploding.

11. Rcaarizona

Rcaarizona New Member

State:
    AZ
    This is no BS right here, you put a regular size drop of water in molten lead, you can easily end up in the ER burn unit. A little more advice I have for folks, is to get rid of those lines, or scarring in your sinkers. Heat your mold up first with a torch, then start pouring lead, you only have to do it before the first pour, then it will remian hot. For some reason your weights will look smoother, and more professional, for those out there that sell them.

12. Jeremy Sheffey

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    first morning i got my hot pot i was pouring then dropping into water.. so i took our a few and as i was breaking off the nipples i was dropping them into the hot pot full of lead. needless to say, it popped pretty good, and i thought that i was following kens instructions about the drops of water...just another trial by error moment in my life i reckon...haha

13. whiteriver

whiteriver New Member

State:
    in
    Careful Jeremy, I have a scar on my forehead form a drop of water I put into a pot of molten lead when I was a teen, it hurts a bunch. Just glad it didn't hit my eye. Or this is how I would have looked. :wink:

14. Catfishboy1995

State:
    Council Bluffs
    I hear it is better if the water goes into the lead not lead into water!!!!!!but it is all bad..so if you just have to get water in lead..make the water go into the lead:eek:oooh::wink::smile2:

15. Rcaarizona

Rcaarizona New Member

State:
    AZ
    HELL NO to this, you have it backwards, you can drop hot lead into a bucket of water with nothing happening but steam. You CANNOT put ANY water into molten lead.

16. Fatman

Fatman New Member

State:
    Vermont
    Rcaarizona

I'm gonna have to say back to you HELL NO to this, you have it backwards!!!

And I'll explain, when I first started molding I had a wire hanger made into a stand and a piece of steel pipe with a curve joint on it. I'd melt enough to pour 5-6 jigs or sinkers and then start melting again.

My younger brother walked by with a glass of water and spilled it and some of it went into my mold. Well back then it wasn't all the safety it is today. When I poured that lead into that mold it splattered right back out and it got it right in the face, some round my chin and the worst was a small splatter in my left eye.

Parents took me straight to the ER and I had to have a surgeon take a hard splatter of lead out of my eye.

To this day when I have my eye exams and they do the glucoma test they see a black spot on my eye and I have to keep reminding them of the past injury.

JUST DON'T DO IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Fatman

17. Catfishboy1995

State:
    Council Bluffs
    It is safer to put water into molten lead than molten lead in to water it is fine after it is solidified...No water should somcome into contat...But the explotion wont be as big if the water goes on top of the lead...Other wise when people put there hand in molten lead it would explode but it done because the water goes into the lead

18. Jeremy Sheffey

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    if you drop water, a few drops or however much into a pot of molten lead it will explode. the reason the water doesn't explode when people do that with their hand is because it is a thin layer of water that is boiling uniform due to the finger controlling the direction and flow of the gases. however you can drop lead into a larger container of water. i promise you that if you drop water into your lead pot it will make a good pop.

as for the mold, the reason that exploded was because of the hole that the lead was pour into. when it contacted the water it created steam, in order for the steam to escape it had to come out of the small hole. in order to do that, it had to pass the lead up, causing it to shoot out. remember all that is happing extremely fast, so it is like the firing of a gun, as gases try to escape out the tube it pushes anything in its way out of the muzzle.