A little N.C. help for S.C.

Discussion in 'LOCAL NORTH CAROLINA TALK' started by IndianCoach, May 28, 2008.

1. IndianCoach

IndianCoach New Member

State:
    S.C.
    Howdy guys. I'm going to Topsail Island the second week in June and wondered if you guys knew how the surf fishing is? Ilooked at a charter but I'm a football coach with 3 small younguns so the trip alone is taxing my bank account. We will be staying on the south part of the island. I'm sure you can catch some stuff at night on cut bait. Ant help or tips would be greatly appreciated. I fish Santee-Cooper all the time so maybe I could help you guys in the future.

2. rob128146

rob128146 New Member

State:
    Rockwell, North Carolina
    Been catching small Drum and nice size whiting. I have heard from a local down there. you might hit it just right and catch the fish going n about that time. If you do give a shout out. Google Topsoil Fishing report and that should help ya! Good luck:big_smile:

3. SUNDROP

SUNDROP New Member

State:
    Washington
    If you surf fish in NC you have to have a saltwater license. If you pier fish the piers have a blanket license that covers you. For Topsail I recommend Surf City Pier or Seaview Pier. Google each, they have good websites. Spanish Mackeral, Bluefish, Whiting, Pompano, Flounder are biting and will continue on into June. Any equipment you Bass/ Cat with will do on a pier as long as you rinse it well after use to clean up the salt. 2 hook bottom rigs, Carolina rigs both work well and plan on 3-4 oz weights to hold bottom. Fresh shrimp, bloodworms, sand fleas (all sold on the piers usually, but find the fresh shrimp selling beside the road!) and anything you catch like croakers, whiting, pinfish, small blues make good cut bait. Bluefish is also a good cat bait especially in joint (Brackish) waters like Santee Cooper!! So if you catch 'em you can freeze them for later!! PM me if I can help any further! I live in Eastern NC and go to Topsail and Atantic beach alot to pier-fish!!

IndianCoach? Is that Wando High by chance? Greenwave Alumni here!!

4. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Not into pier fishing at all.
    In June, you would find me on a dark stretch of beach with no artificial lighting anywhere close by fishing with cut mullet.
    Gotta love the red drum.

Blues can be fun if you catch them blitzing and they are the chopper blues.
    Good to eat too if bled and cooked fresh.

5. IndianCoach

IndianCoach New Member

State:
    S.C.
    Thanks alot guys. Sundrop I am currently living in Orangeburg and teach/coach at Orangeburg Prep hence the name. I guess I should change it now to Panther Coach. I will be moving in July to Summerville to coach at Pinewood Prep for someone you probably know-Pinky Guerard. Hr hired me in April to come take over for him when he retires. Good deal and I get to be close to the saltwater fishing on the coact but I will still fish Santee. Thanks for the reports guys and anymore would be appreciated. My family is really looking forward to it and I can't wait to introduce my 4 year old to salt fishing. The guides all have good websites and I know the area has a rich fishing tradition but on a teacher's salary it is not going to happen. Sometimes the surf is the spot.