A little more Murray madness

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by steve_b124, Oct 17, 2009.

1. steve_b124

steve_b124 New Member

State:
    south carolina
    I braved the weather this morning for about 3 hours to take a 12 year old nephew who had never been out before. I had been trying to get him to go for weeks, but he was scared to go (has health problems). He finally decided to try it so we hit the upper reaches of Murray this morning about 8:00. A few minutes later he had his personal best at 12 lbs. After a 10 lb 3 ouncer he landed a 13-7 then a 15-10, all blues. We were drifting along and 1 of the rods "got hung". I started bring it in, no fight - just dead weight. Suddenly it realized what was happening and turned for a drag screaming run for the bottom. Turned out to be an awesome 16 pound, 11 ounce channel cat. Plumb beautiful!

I didn't take my camera due to the rain. My blasted cell phone camera said preview error and would not work. I told my nephew about CPR and why it was important, so we released all of the fish we caught.

I think my nephew is hooked for good. He can't wait to come back and fish and drive the boat again. I told him that when he gets rich and famous to remember old uncle Steve and buy him a new boat.

Folks, this is what life is all about. If you haven't figured this out yet go find a kid and take them out. Sure, they will get your line tangled and ask a zillion questions, but they are sponges soaking it all up. The gleam in their eyes says it all. I guess I have a soft spot for kids. I keep a bag of Bibles in my truck for them all of the time.

GOD BLESS ALL,
    Steve

Last edited: Oct 17, 2009
  2. martygreen

martygreen Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Rock Hill,S.C.
    Great report Steve,thanks for sharing.Murray sounds like it is really coming on with the Blues.I hate ya wasnt able to get a pic of the 16lb Channel,thats a hog there,would have loved to have seen that one.
    Sounds like Team Slime Time might have a new member as well.Reps to ya.:wink:

3. steve_b124

steve_b124 New Member

State:
    south carolina
    Thanks Marty,

I got so excited over my nephew that forgot to say that they were all caught frozen cut herring in 45 to 55 feet of water, usually dropping into the channel. George was out of bait due to a striper tourney this morning.

God Bless All,
    Steve

4. Patmansc

Patmansc Well-Known Member

State:
    Cordova, TN
    Steve, your getting "bonus points" from the Creator for taking that young man out :smile2: I'll bet you that he remembers this day for a very long time. By the way: did you teach him the correct way to lick shrimp? :wink:

5. steve_b124

steve_b124 New Member

State:
    south carolina
    No but I taught him to pat it on the head before releasing it. We'll save the scrimp licking for another time, maybe when he's a little older.

God Bless All,
    Steve

6. tony

tony New Member

State:
    lake Murray sc
    nice!!! very nice!!!