A little kick for your crawlers!

Discussion in 'Homemade baits' started by Indysfinest22, Jul 14, 2009.

1. Indysfinest22

Indysfinest22 New Member

State:
    indiana
    Well im not sure on this one yet, i have tried it but as with all my fishing i havent had sucess with anything anywhere, ya'll may already of heard about this but take your nightcrawlers and after you have them on your hook dip them in white vinegar for about 30 seconds, i guess they absorb it and slowly release it once in the water, i read about it in a field and stream magazine from 1992 and they had great sucess with this method on all species of cats! I guess the white vinegar entices the cats and like amino acids triggers a feeding frenzy, i did mention this to a friend and he went to a paylake in our area, and ended up with 42 channel cats in about 3 hours and got skunked on everything else he baited up with. this may be a good twist to your crawlers, good luck and hope this helps someone!!

2. hct236

hct236 Well-Known Member

State:
    virginia
    Pickled Crawlers.....I have heard it works before, gonna try..thanks

3. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Thanks Collin for sharing your tip. Apprciated. Never heard that one before.

4. GrandpaGoneFishing

GrandpaGoneFishing Well-Known Member

State:
    Linn Valley, Ks
    Thanks Collin, Never heard of that. Let me know how it works for you. As far as I know vinegar will turn off most animals But Hey, there a different breed of cat were hunting. I have heard of even One person who put there livers in formaldehyde, said it made them tough and Them Cats Loved them. Seems to me that would turn them off too, But Hey! Like I said there a different breed of cat.
    Has any one else ever heard of this?
    The old man I was talking to turned out to be a dentist in rural Kansas and swore by it. I have No reason to not to believe him. We talked for a long time and he gave me several recipes for dough baits and chum. Another old man stepped up and said it was all true. He was the butcher he bought all his livers and all from for the last 40+ yrs.
    How can you question that? The same gentleman told me they were selling the best gooseberry pie I could ever have. He was selling food at an auction. chili, chili dogs and pie! My wife and I get excited to see when they have an auction in that town. Never had a better Pie. He was right about the pie.
    ?
    :canny:​

5. sikadelic

sikadelic New Member

State:
    Evansville, IN
    that vinegar trick sounds crazy enough to work.,i think ill give it a shot the next time im on the water.,thanks

6. colten

colten Member

State:
    Texas
    I never heard of that one either, but I am willing to try it. :wink:

7. joshmorgan

joshmorgan New Member

State:
    columbia, MS
    Sounds interestin. Going this evening with my paw n law believe I'll give it a try. Thanks for the tip.

8. JEFFRODAMIS

JEFFRODAMIS New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    WONDER IF VANILLA EXTRACT WOULD WORK ALSO?

9. bedbug jr

bedbug jr New Member

State:
    Missouri
    If this works I may buy each crawler his own personal bottle:smile2: Stay safe and we'll compare notes in a couple of days!!!

10. joshmorgan

joshmorgan New Member

State:
    columbia, MS
    Well I tried the vinegar out last night. I went with two other guys down to the pearl river, and I dipped mine in the vinegar, and they just fished regular ol nightcrawlers. They caught 8 catfish and I caught 1... Eel. Maybe Just bad for river fishin. I dunno.

11. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    Welcome to the BOC Josh. And thanks for the update:wink: