A little jon boat customization for 35$

Discussion in 'Boat Modification Journal' started by StuBone278, May 24, 2007.

1. StuBone278

StuBone278 New Member

State:
    south central Louisiana
    A little customization goes a long way. I picked up this ice chest for 15 dollars at Academy, added the rod holders which came in bags of two for 4 dollars a piece, had the black box already lying around (got it for Christmas, I think they are around $11), the umbrella for 5.99 (Big Lots :tounge_out:), and a small package of bungie cords for $6.

The umbrella is a definate life-saver, the black box holds some boat info, the ice chest holds 2 life jackets and still has room for some drinks, adds another seat to the boat, and does a fine job holding the rod-holders.:big_smile:

Attached Files:

2. porboy

porboy New Member

State:
    TX Panhand
    Nice job.
    Bill

3. Ahquabi_Master

Ahquabi_Master New Member

State:
    WDM Iowa
    My friend just bot a little jonboat. I'll tell him to check out your neat idea.

4. whiskers77

whiskers77 New Member

State:
    Southern California
    Those are some great ideas for a good price. I have a jon boat similar to yours and I have the exact same Briggs and Stratton motor on it. Thanks for the ideas and for sharing the pics with us!

5. DANZIG

DANZIG New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Thought about an umbrella but have been kind of leery about a gust of wind rolling me. My little jon does not have near the freeboard you have.

Howz that working out for you? Is the wind rocking you much?

6. Pat Kelly

Pat Kelly New Member

State:
    Maryland
    Sometimes its the little things that make the BIGGEST differences. Nice job.

7. smhmc6

smhmc6 Member

State:
    Kansas

I could be wrong but it looks like the umbrella is just fixed to the black box... looks like the worst that would happen is it would dump the box. But I can see what you are saying about high winds if it were mounted to the boat. Be careful if it is.

8. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    looking good youll be all set before you know it , then you will be ready for a bigger boat

9. StuBone278

StuBone278 New Member

State:
    south central Louisiana
    Well when it's windy I usually don't put it up as the breeze is already nice enough, but when its just plain hot, its really nice. Also the box is bungie-strapped to two of the ribs so its nice and sturdy. I ran a piece of PVC pipe as a sleeve up the base of the umbrella so that it doesn't get blown away.

I took the boat out today and was pretty satisifed with everything, although I may not use the umbrella when I know there's gonna be wind. Today was very windy and it just took up room in the boat having this big umbrella thing. Another plus is that the ice chest is much, much lighter while fully loaded than the wooden box I had built earlier. (which weighed around 40 pounds empty)

10. Barry Nelson

Barry Nelson New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I was just looking at rod holders myself today at academy. i saw the same ones but didnt think they'd work for my set up...I like how they work on your boat though. Mine is a 14 ft astroglass...i think i'll have to go with gunnel mounts....though at that price I may need to rethink and get creative.

11. StuBone278

StuBone278 New Member

State:
    south central Louisiana
    I took the two middle pole holders out as the poles were quite close to each-other when they started to sway. Instead I attached them with zip-ties to the side-support ribs, and now they are very sturdy and the poles are angled like \ | | / instead of the old ||||. Its a great spread setup.

12. weebrio

weebrio New Member

State:
    TX
    This is what I have done for rod holders on my Jon-Boat.
    Thr holder was $6.50, the D-ring was $1 and the bolts were also $1 and the twine was $1 that = about $25 all together.

I clip the D-ring to the rod when I am not really watching it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And when we are cruising along to and from the fishing spots we sometimes put a couple of rods in the platic pipe holders in the center of the boat.

[​IMG]

13. theflyfisher

theflyfisher New Member

State:
    CT
    pretty slick set up there!

14. catfisherman60

catfisherman60 New Member

State:
    Greenwood AR.
  15. cod26

cod26 New Member

State:
    Alabama
    i guess the umbrella trick is a good thing especially if you get stranded it would make a goog sail

16. lebeaux

lebeaux New Member

State:
    ohio
    I've never run out of ideas for my boats... only room for the ideas. Then it's time for a new boat. It's a vicious cycle!