A little james help

Discussion in 'LOCAL VIRGINIA TALK' started by wiskeredwarrior101, Feb 9, 2008.

1. wiskeredwarrior101

wiskeredwarrior101 New Member

State:
    virginia
    Hi, a buddy of mine and I are getting to the age where we both can drive and were trying to purchase a boat and weve heard so much about the james river and the amazing blues but before we go out and get ourselves killed we wanna learn the ropes of that river. We were wondering if some kind soul on the BOC would be the one to show us what to look for in the river and such. If you have any info to share or would like to take us out first hand email me at Shsquadfather09@aim.com any info would help us be on our way thanks ~nick

2. bigcat77

bigcat77 New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Well I can't take you out first hand... and I don't know about the blues. But if your after flatheads... live bait is the key. I have had the best luck with live goggle eyes... or rock bass... depending on what you call em. Number 2 would be live smallmouth bass. Just my experience. Good luck man.

3. wiskeredwarrior101

wiskeredwarrior101 New Member

State:
    virginia
    thanks. what type of cover would we be looking for log jams id assume?

4. JPritch

JPritch New Member

State:
    Lynchburg, VA
    Are you going to be fishing the lower James or upper James? If you're talking about the lower tidal portion, then that's an area that alot of people fish. There is a ton of info. If you do a search on James River in the Virginia Rivers talk here on the BOC, you can find pretty much all the info you need short of going out yourself. From bait, to presentation, to tackle, and even some fishing spots.

Here are some basics:
    1) Catch fresh bait(gizzard shad) using a cast net or gill net. Eels will also work.
    2) Structure is key, especially if it breaks up the current or provides cover. Fallen trees, pilings, wing dams, rocks.
    3) A good fishfinder will help immensely. It will help you locate structure, bait schools, and stacked up fish.
    4) You'll need alot of weight to hold your bait in place, 8oz or more.
    5) Don't be afraid to cut your baits really big. The bigger the bait the bigger the fish.

5. Powhatan

Powhatan New Member

State:
    Virginia
    This has to do with safety more than fishing... if you anchor in the channel pay attention for barges and ships.. they don't stop easily.. if you have to pull in 8 rods and pull up anchor you may get run over..:crazy:

6. JPritch

JPritch New Member

State:
    Lynchburg, VA
    That's a good heads up. Those ocean going ships are no joke! Talk about a roller coaster ride if you get into their wake!

7. Madtom

Madtom New Member

State:
    virginia
    I can take you out and show you some spots. I also will show you how to follow the channel markers. Most of the time bait is easy but 1 out of 10 times you might have to work a little. Let me know if I can help sometime. Wayne

8. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    Do any of you use whole shad, or all cut? Any of you use live shad?

9. justlearning

justlearning New Member

State:
    VA
    Fall & winter....I have not talked to anyone...ran across anyone....heard of anyone that used anything but cut bait on the James fishing for the trophy blues.....other than bait be sure to gear up that tackle for the big boys and girls.

In the spring...White perch usually arrive in the James around end March- middle April. A lot of fisherman use perch for live bait.

I would guess 75-85% of the catfiherman use chunks for cut bait...but some do scale all the shad they use, some will fillet the shad, using the head and carcass on other lines. I have seen some cut the fillet up to the head leave it attached and run the hook through the fillet and head.

Just remember never leave a scale on the point of the hook and always leave plenty of hook exposed....

Jerry

10. Baitcutter

Baitcutter New Member

State:
    VA
    We have good luck with live bream and shad in the summer and fall but cut shad seems best in winter. Hope this helps.

11. Team StrayKatz

Team StrayKatz New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Loanwizard,

Yes,Yes and Yes just to answer your questions.I also use Eels alot !