A little info on Colo River catfishing

Discussion in 'LOCAL CALIFORNIA TALK' started by CatMan(Cali), Sep 12, 2008.

1. CatMan(Cali)

CatMan(Cali) Well-Known Member

State:
    Fresno Californ
    Here is a little bit of information I came across on the Colorado River for anybody that is interested. I know this maybe useless to some of you SoCal folks, but it was cool to me. I would love to catch one of those big flatheads. Maybe some of you SoCal folks can add a little bit to this and give us a few extra tips and locations to fish the Colorado River. Thanks.

Sean!

Here is the link http://www.californiagameandfish.com/fishing/catfish-fishing/CA_0607_02/index4.html

2. gilmafam

gilmafam Well-Known Member

State:
    California

Thanks for the post and infor for the Nor Cal boys and everyone as well...... The latest W.O.N. (Western Outdoor News) displayed two fish from the Blythe area..... I guess the word is out.... got to go to Colorado River...to get some nice big flatheads..... I sure hope folks are letting these big ones go to be "used again" or to make some new ones...."live bait' is the key... can use big other baits... but live bait.... The river is the only place to use "live bait" bait legally to get em....

Here are the two pics of "back to back" fortys...by two guys from Palm Springs..... also is a pic of "Rafael" who fishes "Blythe" from the "inside-out" so to speak....... "So speak easy of the river fishing..."

Bayrunner Ray

3. riverbud55

riverbud55 Well-Known Member

State:
    AZ Topock-/CA Riverside
    Name:
    Dale Miller
    Sean thanks for the post always wondered If the article got wrote up, Ronson "Catmando" Smothers and Chris Shaffer the author put in at Hidden Beaches when I was out there, and fished up river at the spot we all did so well at 2 years back but they didn't get anything big, can't remember them getting anything that time, a good and true article Chris wrote. Haven't heard about Ronson being out there since:crazy: He says something about it being to danged hot:smile2: ah um wonder who the man at the trailer park was that showed him about the flathead fishing :roll_eyes: hehehe

4. jagdoctor1

jagdoctor1 New Member

State:
    CA/AZ
    Well I've been working alot and doing other things and just recently got back after the flatties. So far as I can tell I have picked up some bad mojo somewhere. Of course the river has been low and the moon big and bright and I never do good at these times anyways but I might still stick with the bad mojo theory.

5. CatMan(Cali)

State:
    Fresno Californ
    Does anybody know if you can catch flatties from the banks or is it better by boat? I don't have a boat is why I ask and I don't want to go down there and look stupid fishing from the bank not catchin anything but a buzz. Are they strictly in deep water or do they come into the shallows at night to feed? I am very interested in a trip to Blythe, but I want to try and gather as much info as possible before I do that. I would love to catch me about a 40# flattie for a pic and about a 20#er for a good fish fry.

6. plumbertom1

plumbertom1 Well-Known Member

State:
    Eugene, Or.
    Bank fishing will work fine for flats.
    The real advantage to being in a boat while flat head fishing is the ease of movement from one spot to another.
    Just find a place along the bank where your bait will end up in an area that would normally hold bait fish, like the deep side of rip rap or next to some brush that hangs into the water.
    Remember those flats are never very far from where the food is found. They may move up and down the river but what they are looking for is those spots.
    As far as the depth goes I've seen flat heads with their dorsal spine sticking out of the water while hunting.

7. CatMan(Cali)

State:
    Fresno Californ
    I forgot to add that I would like to get some additional info on fishing holes, bank fishing vs. boat fishing, campgrounds, etc. in the Blythe area on the Colorado River. If anyone can help me out that would be cool.
    Thanks.

Sean!

8. CatMan(Cali)

State:
    Fresno Californ
    I have another question for the SoCal folks. Does the bite for flatheads stay fairly consistent all year, or is there certain months where the bite is better than others? Thanks.

Sean!

9. dhines

dhines New Member

State:
    LA / Calexico
    i was thinking the same thing. i have heard that catfish slow down in the winter . . . but due to the weather in southeastern part of the state, i am wondering if that isn't true.

anyone know how the winter bite is for catfish in the canals off the colorado river?

10. jagdoctor1

jagdoctor1 New Member

State:
    CA/AZ
    Yes it stays warmer here but August/September still produce more flahead than any other time of the year and the winter months are very slow.The main thing you want to realise is that there is a channel running like a snake in the river. It goes down the Arizona side for a bit then crosses to the Ca side and such. I bank fish. You need to make sure you are not fishing on a sandbar which is created by being on the opposite side of the channel. These sandbars are not just shallow but when the river goes down which it does rapidly, these sandbars can be exposed and out of the water. The fish know this and don't hang out there much. Other than that the rules are the same look for holes and structure. As far as campgrounds there is Mcyntire south of Blythe and Mayflower north of Blythe. Riviera is in Blthe (basically colorado river and I10 intersection) and is a KOA. All of these have boat launches. The BOC gathering was at Mayflower and it was nice.

11. CatMan(Cali)

State:
    Fresno Californ
    So are you saying that a November or December trip wouldn't be worth going down there. I am coming from Fresno and I'm assuming it is about a 6 hour drive. I would hate to drive all the way down there and get skunked because there is no bite. I guess when it comes down to it they are all catfish. I guess the big difference is live bait vs cut bait. How was the BOC gathering down there? Anybody catch any nice flatties? Can't wait for the next one. I'll be there for sure. By the way, what is a KOA?
    Thanks for the reply.

Sean!-aka-CatMan(Cali)

12. gilmafam

gilmafam Well-Known Member

State:
    California
    Chris you said it all..... most of all, you got to plan time to fish the river.... and lots of the "blythe" area is inclusive of canals and drains..... access to live bait, either bought or caught helps with "flathead success".... river fishing as Chris mentioned is water that goes up and down depending on the water releases at the wier....need to have a "good read" of the water to navigate the low water.... deep water may be 12feet or 30feet if you can find it....under some banks and docks....

bayrunner ray

13. CatMan(Cali)

State:
    Fresno Californ
    So is it like when the water cuts in and under the banks? I don't have a boat so I don't have to worry about navigating the water. I just have to worry about finding accessible deep holes from the bank. When you cast you should be able to tell how deep it is by how far your sinker sinks. Maybe just go around casting with just a weight until you feel like you've found a deep enough hole to fish. Man, I can't wait to fish this place. Do you fish the Blythe area often?

Sean!

14. jagdoctor1

jagdoctor1 New Member

State:
    CA/AZ
    Yes and no. On the outside bend of a turn of the river you usually have deeper water. However it does not "cut" into the bank here like other rivers because it is all Rip Rap. If you get this way, I'll be sure to show you few places so you can get an Idea.
    KOA campgrounds is a nationwide campground connection type thing that people use. Some people look specifically for Koa's that is why I posted that.
    http://www.koa.com/
    As my good buddy pointed out alot of the best fishing actually comes from the drainage ditches and canals and not just the river.
    In regards to Nov and Dec fishing. They are not impossible to catch but it is definately slower. Lots of channel cat action though. I personally have other hobbies I partake in during the winter. I live by the river in Blythe so yes I fish it alot lol. Less this year but still at it.

You know I can't find the thread on the Colorado gathering? do they get wiped? Shania had posted pics. Everyone had fun and a few nice flats were caught also.

15. shania

shania New Member

State:
    San Leandro, Ca
    Hey Chris, :0a23:

What's been going on Dude? - you know that I'm going to have your back on this one Buddy.
    :wink:

Is this what you been looking for: http://www.kodakgallery.com/ShareLa...0&UV=585065672423_517511552210&localeid=en_US

Take it Easy Bro.,
    Bert:cool2: (Shania)

16. jagdoctor1

jagdoctor1 New Member

State:
    CA/AZ
    DAMN BERT!
    There were a bunch of pictures there I didn't get to see before! That was awesome man. Some good fish, good fun, good spots too........ You might want to consider photography my friend. Those were awesome pics. You got all the highlights of Blythe. The river, mountains, people, sunsets and rises. Some fine Flats too.

17. shania

shania New Member

State:
    San Leandro, Ca
    I'm glad that like the photos Chris / oh - & I still carry my wallet in my front pocket Buddy. (LoL:happy:)

18. riverbud55

riverbud55 Well-Known Member

State:
    AZ Topock-/CA Riverside
    Name:
    Dale Miller
    Sean flathead catfish season pretty much runs late mid april to mid nov, there are people that believe that oct-mid nov are the best for flats I have not done that well at all during them months, my best months have been May to Aug., as long as the water temp is in the high 60s they will still bite, wouldn't go out of my way for them from Dec to mid march

19. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
  20. shania

shania New Member

State:
    San Leandro, Ca
    "Big Robb"!!!!!! :big_smile:

How has it been going Bro.?
    :0a23:
    I know that you are still :worship: "The Man at Mendota" .