a little info feedback please

Discussion in 'Shad Talk' started by 187um, Apr 9, 2009.

1. 187um

187um New Member

State:
    west frankfort, ill
    i have been told while out throwin my cast net that i better get the shad while i can cause they dont run year round. and i am wondering is this info correct or not cause i have heard people say they catch em all year while there is no ice or somethin. so i am wondering when the shad start running is it diffrent by the time of the day or location still new to the collecting of my own bait and not sure when the best times are to get them i nomally just get the notion to go then go so any info on times of the day or if high and low pressure has any affect i guess what i am tryin to say is i need i quik ceash course anyone that can help will be appreciated.

2. Dirtdobber

Dirtdobber Guest Staff Member

State:
    Vian Okla
    I don't know how it is there, but here in Oklahoma we get them year round. Just hard to find them sometimes.

3. Skipjack

Skipjack New Member

State:
    LaGrange, Ky.
    Shad are always around. Throw your net in back water areas, and at the mouth of creeks. Sometimes you can find them at surface discharges. Also throw your net on sunny banks where the water is warmer. Marinas are a good place also. Try to watch the water for Shad flipping on the surface in creeks, and throw your net there.

4. 187um

187um New Member

State:
    west frankfort, ill
    any specific times or anything thats better for nettin'm?

5. Skipjack

Skipjack New Member

State:
    LaGrange, Ky.
    The best times for me is the hours around dawn and dusk, mainly because they tend to flip more then. When they flip the surface, they reveal their location. Just watch the water surface in the areas that I mentioned and throw your net. If you don't see any flipping, throw your net anyway, a lot. It will be good practice, and you will be able to get the net to spread consistantly. I have thrown my net for hours on end to find Shad. Another option is to get you a Sabiki rig and go to the nearest discharge and try for Skipjack! But that is another story. Good luck, Dave

6. BIGCATFISHDAN

BIGCATFISHDAN New Member

State:
    texas
    IVE ALWAYS DONE REAL GOOD ANYWHERE THERES MUD FLATS AT THE POINTS OF COVES ALOTOFTIMES IN A DEEP COVE THEY ARE PUSHED ALLTHE WAY UP TO THE BACK OF THE COVE START AT THE POINT THEN WORK YOUR WAY INTO THE COVE. CAST YOUR NET EVERY WERE NOT JUST EVERY 10 FEET BUT EVERY WHERE. I HAVE THE BEST LUCK IN THE LATE MORNING AROUND 10-11, WHEN HUNTING SHAD I SOMTIMES DONT LET THE NET GO ALL THE WAY TO THE BOTTOM BECAUSE THE SHAD ARE USSUALLY SUSPENDED IN THE WATER, SO TRY PULLING IT EARLY, OR SOME TIMES ON A BAD THROW ILL LET THE NET SIT FOR A SECOND THEN PULL IT IN, SOMETIME YOU WILL HAVE TO THROW YOUR ARM OUT UNTILL YOU FIND THEM ALSO WITH THE LAKES DOWN TRY TO LOOK AT THE LANDSCAPE ABOVE WATER SLOPES,MUD,DROPOFFS,ROCKS,TREES,ECT AND PICTURE THE LAND GOING INTO THE WATER IF ITS A SLOPE IT IS ALSO A SLOPE UNDER WATER IF ITS FLAT WITH SLOPES AROUND THAT TELLS YOU THERE IS A DROP OFF NOT FAR. ANY WayIM RAMBLIN HOPE THIS HELPS

7. rcbbracing

rcbbracing New Member

State:
    Ohio
    here in ohio we seem to get them year round without tooooo much trouble...might have to hit several spots but usually a day of netting can get me what i need for quite some time...

8. kitsinni

kitsinni New Member

State:
    Ohio
    That is the best advice right there. I have looked at plenty of spots and thought to myself there is no good reason to cast right here and did it anyway only to pull up a full net of shad.

9. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    mournings and evenings are great times for all fish best way to find them would be sighting them like said. if you see um breakin water and cast on them and get an empty net even with a bad throw they r probally small ones look for another school, but like they said dont not throw just because you dont see them from my limited expertice the little ones seem to flip the top of the water more than the big ones.

10. BluecatSC

BluecatSC New Member

State:
    SC
    I get most of my shad/herring around boat docks right before it gets dark. Most of the time you can get 5 or 6 dozen in a few casts. Other times you have to work a little harder.

11. Rohaus

Rohaus Well-Known Member

State:
    Vilonia Ar
    Seems like earyl morning and late evenings have always been best for me, not that I am very good at it, just from observation.