A little help with winter locations and spring movement

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by SangamonCatKiller, Feb 21, 2006.

1. SangamonCatKiller

SangamonCatKiller New Member

State:
    central illinois
    Hey ya'll. How many of you guys have a gravel pit or pit of some sort that runs into the river? The river I fish is shallow compared to most and I can't figure out for the life of me where they are holing up in the winter. The only thing I can figure would be the gravel pit that runs into the river upstream from where I fish. It is the only "deep" water for miles and miles. I figure they are holding there over the winter. I plan on trying to make a move when the water hits the lower 50's and see if I can catch them as they make there way into the river. Does this sound like a good plan? Are the fish holed in the gravel pit in everyones opinion ? I really can't see them finding any seriously deep water anywhere but here. P.S it is located 2 miles or further upstream from my fishing location. Are they making this move ?

2. Doyle

Doyle New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Sounds like a good plan to me, if the pit has been around for a few years, it probally has filled up a little. If its deep still, it would make a good bed for the catfish. Good luck when you try it.

3. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    You know, all this talk about deep water has me wondering. I have only caught a couple of fish in deep water, and when I say deep I mean over 30 feet. Most of my fish are in 12-17 feet of water. I am a lake fisherman, so maybe our idea of deep is different than river fishermen. Curious for your input.

4. slabmaster

slabmaster New Member

State:
    missouri
    i think you have a good idea. i would be looking for the bait fish in your river . the biggest stringer of catfish i ever caught in my life came off of a trotline in 8 to 16 ft of water in febuary. they were all blue catfish aand were all within 1 1/2 to 2 lbs. of each other fish were 16 to 18 lbs. these fish had a deep channel available less than 1/4 mile away "40 ft. deep" but here it was in february very cold and the fish were up on the flats chaseing threadfin shad. from that day on i realized that fish reschool in the winter aand " in my opinion the like to school with fish of like size" its only a theory of mine but i think schooling fish of like size dont have to compete as hard with each other to eat. my opinions are like my arm pits to most people they stink.

5. SangamonCatKiller

SangamonCatKiller New Member

State:
    central illinois
    I'm not sure exactly how old the pit is. I do know that the river averages about 4" and the pit is 20+".