A little help please?

Discussion in 'Channel Catfish' started by dr_gonzo, Sep 3, 2008.

1. dr_gonzo

dr_gonzo New Member

State:
    illinois
    Good Day to All,

I just moved back to my home state of Illinois a couple of years ago. Not knowing anyone around here that really fishes, I joined a local sportsman club, for both the fishing and trapshooting as well. Its a good little pond and has lots of 3-6 pound channels. I caught a 9 pounder the other night which shocked me. I know this pond gets stocked twice a year (spring and fall) with around a thousand pounds of catfish averaging 2 pounds or so. Im pretty sure theres larger channels in there, my only question is what sort of bait should I be using? Im wanting to catch bigger ones. I catch anywhere between five and ten channels everytime im out there using chicken livers. Not any kind of chicken livers either! Anyways some suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I go at night and fish about 30 feet from the bank. Thanks!

btw...if you know any good river spots accessible by foot in central illinois to catch some flatheads, that advice would be great also

2. littleman

littleman Active Member

State:
    Illinois
    Welcome to the BOC Shane. You might give cut bait or shad guts a try. I always have better luck catching bigger channel cats with those.
    What part of Illinois are you from?

3. Dave L

Dave L New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    Welcome.

Cut sucker works almost always.

4. mikeskywalker

mikeskywalker New Member

State:
    IOWA
    what are they eating from the lake ?
    i would try bluegils or stink bait

5. payton350

payton350 New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I always do well with shrimp or crawdads for channels.

6. CHAVEZ CHAVEZ

CHAVEZ CHAVEZ New Member

State:
    WesternSlope,CO
    when ya'll speak crawdad , how do u rigg them ?? whole , shelled , just the tail ??? :0a36:

7. hunted

hunted New Member

State:
    washington court house,oh
    if they are soft craws,the whole thing.hook them throughthe back of the tail so the point comes out the bottom.then,trn the hook to it and the run the hook point into the middle of their body.

if it is a hard craw,peel the tail and just use the meat.

but,i would just get some bigger cut bait,and maybe even using larger live gills as bait.

8. Plowboy411

Plowboy411 New Member

State:
    Georgia
    welcome to the brotherhood.

in stocked ponds I like using live bullheads and live bream.

9. dr_gonzo

dr_gonzo New Member

State:
    illinois
    wow! thanks to all for all of your answers. i did not expect that many replies!! i will try the bluegills. ive tried a couple different kinds of stinkbait with no luck. and the only things ive caught the channels on are IGA chicken livers (dont know why but it has to be IGA brand) and nightcrawlers. but again i never tried the cut bait. i live near champaign. thanks again to all.

10. One Legged Josh

One Legged Josh New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Welcome to the BOC!

11. Doneinne

Doneinne New Member

State:
    Fremont, Nebras
    I have caught all of my large catfish on fresh cutbait. The bigger the bait the bigger the fish. It seems the the head of the fish catches bigger fish.

12. fishnvince

fishnvince New Member

State:
    na
    Try live blueguill about 3 inches in legnth. Don't go too big just big enough to keep the smaller ones from messing wit it. Give it some time and be patient, if there are any big cats in this pond you will find out soon enough. Depending on the depth of it try fishing the guills under a float. I'd use a 4/0 or 5/0 full circle hook as well. Give it a try ...it would be interesting to hear back on weather or not this enticed the big one or not. Good luck either way

13. dr_gonzo

dr_gonzo New Member

State:
    illinois
    thanks for those replies as well! we're off well before sunrise tomorrow to give somethings a try. knowing the livers will produce the 5 pounders and its time to stock the freezer, a couple poles will be donated for that cause. im going to set one pole up with a large hook and a blue gill as suggested to see what happens. therell be plenty more trips out there before the freezing temps get here so hopefully one of them ill have a nice pic to show for it! thanks again to all and im still looking for some good spots on rivers near central illinois accessible by foot. never caught a flathead and never caught a catfish from a river.! thank you everyone...

14. Geek13

Geek13 New Member

State:
    Mississippi
    Yeah the bluegill idea is a good one for catching a larger fish. They are also good for the flat heads when you go river fishing.

15. catman4926

catman4926 New Member

State:
    Texas
    I always found the best baits was what there eat in there waters bgill , pearch,crawfish,then cut bait,

good luck

and welcome to the BOC from So.Alabama

16. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    doneinne has the right idea go with perch heads and use a good sise one at that.be sure and use a hook big enough that it dont get lost in the bait.

17. dr_gonzo

dr_gonzo New Member

State:
    illinois
    thanks again everyone. well i returned from my morning trip, we were out there at 4am. we caught eleven good size ones, four to six pounds and off of livers. im somewhat jealous when i see all of you guys with the pics of those big a$% catfish. i couldnt even fathom something that large. i was crappin bricks when i landed that, (dont laugh), 8 pounder the other night. anyways goal was met this morning. we were unable to catch any blue gills to try that route tho. we'll just have to go out one evening an hour before sunset or so to catch a few of them. hopefully those warm nights will return for a few nights. was a bit chilly out there this morning! my question is this, when we get a bluegill good enough to hook up, someone mentioned the heads, ive read that one fish can line three poles (2 fillets, 1 head), ive seen cut the tail off and hook the rest. what do you guys think is the best way or what has worked for you. thanks a million to everyone!

18. KentuckyCatfish

KentuckyCatfish New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    bluegill heads is a good option, so is shad. You should be able to hook into a couple that way! If all else fails, play with the small ones using liver and just be patient until you get lucky. It really depends on the lake and the cats eating habbits in that lake.

19. smoothkip25

smoothkip25 New Member

State:
    ohio
    i ALWAYS SAY BIGGER THE BAIT BIGGER THE FISH! BUT THATS WHY I PROB. GET SKUNKED MOST OF THE TIME! LOL! BUT WHEN HE DOES BITE ALL THE WAIT WILL BE WORTH IT! EVERY PLACE IS DIFF. WHEN I GO I USUALLY HAVE GILLS, WARMOUTHS, CHUBS, SHAD IT ALL DEPENDS ON WHAT THEY ARE EATING IN THAT PATICULAR BODY OF WATER AND ALOT OF TIMES THEY WILL CHANGE THERE PREFERENCE THROUGHOUT THE YEAR!