A little help please.

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by CopeMan, Jul 30, 2008.

1. CopeMan

CopeMan New Member

State:
    MO
    Ok guys I need some second opinions on a few things. I am gonna be fishin a power plant lake pretty soon specifically for flats. Im almost positive they are in post spawn by now. But my question is what water depth do yall think would be best. Im debating on whether or not to fish the mouth of the discharge mainly because of the water being so warm coming out. The lake runs mainly from 8-12 ft with lots of water 3-5. Do you think deeper water would be best. Should i shy away from the warm water discharge? Any help would be greatly appreciated. :wink:

2. Mud Cat

Mud Cat New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I think i would try the shallows first bc they are prolly coming up to feed now bt like u say thats my two cents u knw!!!!:wink:

3. catfishscotty

catfishscotty Well-Known Member

State:
    mo
    well now that your going to have a 18 ft john :wink: thanks to some crazzy uncle lol :smile2:

enjoy searching the lake for structure and finding any kind of channel or ditch they will cruse in

winter time the smaller baits work well there

now its post spawn i would use large baits allowing them to swim into the structure or as close as you can get to it so hopefully the pesky channels leave it alone

psssst remeber them 13 ft shiny galvinized posts i had ???? i think they would come in very handy

and dont be afraid to fish close to the banks in shallow water

you and jeff will have a blast dont think to hard or get frustrated first few trips think of it as scouting for deer aaron when u find a good used scrape well bingo that 12 point buck will come by :wink:

now that you have a boat u guys have many many options and will take the rest of the year to fish them all dont try to over do it , relax and have fun .

and if you see a fat guy in bibs on the bank 1 night go pick him up before he stumbles on another rock and twists his ankle yelling ( I FALLEN AND CANT GET UP) :smile2:

4. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Having a boat is going to change things for you without a doubt. As for where to fish for the flatheads. Are you fishing in the night or daytime. If night those flats are going to move up on the shallow flats in search of bait fish. The bait fish will be close to the discharge. I would not fish directly in the discharge, but anchor above it and let me my go just on the far side of it. You will want that bait to be in the "transition" water (edge of the fast current made by the discharge). If day time catting, I would find those deep holes that have structure.

5. germanmudfish

germanmudfish New Member

State:
    Gray, GA
    those few posts. Now about those 13 galvanized poles???:confused2::confused2:

6. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I'm pretty curious about those poles, too!

I think you ought to target the bait. Where are the bait fish in the lake?

7. CopeMan

CopeMan New Member

State:
    MO
    For those who are wondering the 13ft poles are what we call mud poles. We use them when we find a spot we like but have no way to tie up and no need for two anchors. Works very good for fishing the shallow flats. Just jab them in the mud and tie of to them. Great way to set up ecspecially in the early spring when the blues are hittin the flats. thanks yall:big_smile: