a little help please

Discussion in 'Channel Catfish' started by STALLIONDUCK, Apr 25, 2009.

1. STALLIONDUCK

STALLIONDUCK New Member

State:
    Illinois
    this weekend ime getting out for the first time, and ime fishing a place where i catch carp, bullheads, bluegill, crappie, bass, and some channel cats. this weekend ime going strictly for catfish and ive tried dip bait which worked a little, and worms and they pulled in a five pounder one day.

so i need some bait advice, minnows, livers, different dip baits(i use sonnys) etc.?

2. lforet2002

lforet2002 Well-Known Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Use any kind of baitfish thats living in the same waters your fishing.Cut bream and live..Even small bullheads make great bait.Any minnows you can catch with a dip net or cast net..And continue using what your using till you can figure what they like the best..When the bite comes more frequently on a certain bait use it on other poles..Worms work best after a hard rain..Of course cats love liver cause there attracted to the amino acids in blood..Good luck...

3. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    JD I would suggest you start with shad guts or just cut shad. This is working in the southern part of your state.

4. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    I would recommend taking a few different baits. Some liver, shad, dip bait ect... You never know what they will bite on:wink:

5. payton350

payton350 New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Around here I have been hammering them with large creek chubs live and cut, so mabye if you use some of the baitfish in that river you can catch more.

6. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    Id try liver,or shrimp i normally never go wrong with either.

7. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    Get ya a tub of secret 7 and some dip tubes from team catfish, Blues and Channel cats will absolutely hammer this bait.

8. catfisherman369

catfisherman369 Floyd

State:
    Nashville Il.
    I would say that shad guts or cut shad should do well . If its stink bauit your wanting to use try some sonnies blood . I would set up two different baits and move them every 15 to 20 minutes . Where you going to ? I might or others might have better bait suggestions if we know the water .

9. STALLIONDUCK

STALLIONDUCK New Member

State:
    Illinois
    i'm fishing lake storey its around galesburg

10. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken
    I went Friday around 10 and left the lake at 4.PM with 22 channels from 1 1/2lb - 7lb. Most was caught on strips of Bluegill fillet's and when the biting slowed down, I changed the bait to salmon strips with fatty tissue in-tack and again to chicken breasts cut into strips sprayed in stetson Cologne.

These 3 baits is all you'll ever need to catch channels IMHO. You might want to try freshwater prawns cut into 3/4" chunks split in half too!! Great bait when you can find them..

Heres a pic, of the fish along with my fishing buddy Gavin, my grandson..:wink:

Attached Files:

11. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    Chicken breasts sprayed with stetson cologne?Oh you have got to please tell me more about this lol:smile2::wink:

12. lforet2002

lforet2002 Well-Known Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I ran into a guy one time who was wearing them out..I couldn't buy a bite so I asked him what he was using and he said worms..I said I'm using the same thing he said well I'm spraying mine with w-d 40..I wouldn't be surprised with stetson cologne working..

13. STALLIONDUCK

STALLIONDUCK New Member

State:
    Illinois
    lol well i didnt catch jack ish. i started off with worms, and corn for carp. then i went to dip bait, and i was gonna try cut bluegill but they wouldnt bite on anything so i think ime goin to the big Spoonie next weekend, hopefully. big flats in there lol:smile2: