A little help please with flathead catfish

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by thecatman, Nov 21, 2005.

1. thecatman

thecatman New Member

State:
    Graham, Texas,
    hey guys ive been catfishing for about 14 years now but i have only really targetted channels and now that i have some rods capable of pulling in a hefty flathead i was wondering what baits are good to use and where to look for these monsters at i know the area around me so finding the flatheads shouldnt be a problem once i know what im looking for. thanks for any help you can provide guys

2. dafin

dafin New Member

State:
    Manhattan,Kan
    Are you fishing a river or lake? For bait i would use live shad , bluegills, gold fish etc. I lakes i fish drop offs, old river channels, points and in the timber if there is any. In the river i fish sand bars, log jams , back currents and cut banks.

3. LilRyjoe04

LilRyjoe04 New Member

State:
    Indianapolis,Indiana
    Welcome to the BOC Brandon! I couldn't have said it any better than Dafin! Live baitfish are the way to go to catch these monsters! You might want to try large blue gills, shad, or even bass 7-12 inches long! Make sure that you have some heavy duty line and a rod that can handle a monster! Look for cover, logs are perfect places for big flatties! Anywhere you wouldn't normally fish because of snags is usually a good spot to catch the big mama! Good Luck and C.P.R. (Catch,Photo,and Release) on all cats over ten pounds. That way you can catch em when they get to 100 pounds!lol ;)

4. Ol Whiskers

Ol Whiskers New Member

State:
    Fairfield Township, Ohio
    I'm new here, and have been catfishin' for 40 years in SOuthwest Ohio. I'll add that I use all of the baits mentioned, then at the end of the trip if any are kickin' yet, I put 'em in the freezer. My son and I have been out when the live ones don't get touched and the frozen ones are hot, hot, hot. Just lay them in a baggie, one layer, and squish the air out and zip. Hook just like live bait, eyes or back... Sometimes use a small foam floate just ahead of the bait on a sliprig to get the bait off bottom, moving in current.

5. MUDHOLE KID

MUDHOLE KID New Member

State:
    Anderson,S.C.
    Never leave out fresh cut bait.I've caught more on cut bait than live bait.Different strokes for different folks. :D

6. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I have caught more flatheads on fresh cut shad than anything else..If you are fishing rivers look for timber in the water and deep holes..Be paitent, It may take awhile.

7. JAYNC

JAYNC Active Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    Also if you can, find some live eels in the 12-18" range. Cut the tips of their tails off and hold on. Not only do you have a chance of catching a monster flattie but also a large blue or channel might take it. The eels will live all night even when they are cut like that and bleeding. To me this is the best all around bait and I dont use anything else. Try them live and whole with the tails cut off or cut them in half and they still stay alive for hours.

8. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    They are right, If you ain't get'n snagged you ain't in the right area for flatheads. And I might add that I also have caught more flatheads on fesh cutbait than live. I usually use fresh cut Skipjack.

9. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    'Aint that for sure! It took me 3 + years to land my 1st Ohio flathead. But.... it's worth the effort.

10. dafin

dafin New Member

State:
    Manhattan,Kan
    I have caught a few Flatheads on cut bait. It seem that the smaller flats( under 20lbs) will hit cut . All the flats that i have caught over 30lbs have Taken live bait

11. thecatman

thecatman New Member

State:
    Graham, Texas,
    thanks for the input guys and i'll be fishing rivers and lakes depending on water levels

12. slimcat

slimcat New Member

State:
    marion kentucky
    The yellow in my profile pic took a HUGE Fresh skip head and the 18lber the same day took a HUGE skip head. It depends I tell you on the time of year, Early spring and late fall, it seems yellows will hit cut over live but in the summertime they like live shad and perch. It also depends really on if you are fishing an area with flats, an ole yellow will not travel 2 miles on a scent trail for a piece of cut bait but if you get it there close to where he is you can catch them. ALso look for outside bends with rock ledges!!!

13. lilrivercatman

lilrivercatman New Member

State:
    Iowa
    lol dont feel bad i can never catch them big uns :sad: but o well they proally would pull me right in LOL but all the rivers are dry as a bone round here
    :crying:

14. Alagnewcat

Alagnewcat New Member

State:
    Lawrence, Kansas
    Great replys, one lesson I learned was to have a glove handy when goin for flats. I got into some great fishing one morning and caught 4-5 flats all from 12-30lbs and my hand was rashed out pretty bad. They have sandpaper mouths and they thrash about pretty good and a glove can save your flesh! Some people grab'em by the gills, but I don't believe in that. The gills are the most fragile area on a fish, I just grab the lower lip and hold on tight!

15. Alagnewcat

Alagnewcat New Member

State:
    Lawrence, Kansas
    JayNC-
    Where do you get teh eels? I wonder if they could be found in Kansas waters? If the rivers I fish in don't have a lot of eel, I wonder if they would still work well?

16. thecatman

thecatman New Member

State:
    Graham, Texas,
    i'll try to get some pictures of the river i fish and let y'all tell me where you would fish and with what baits, this river also has some very large blues and channels in it.

17. catfish4

catfish4 New Member

State:
    cincinnati ohio
    Flats will hit allmost any live or cut bait at one time or the other.But you can help your hit-land ratio if you have a little of all baits talked about in all posts above.Shovel head are picky.One day they will tear up one bait and not hit anything else you throw at them.You can improve your odds by just finding what works when and where.I KEEP A NOTE PAD IN MY BOX WHAT BAIT I USE WHAT DEPHT- WATER -TEMP -TIME OF YEAR -WHAT SPOT -SIZE OF BAIT.It might seem anal but if you fish alot of spots it realy can put more fish in the boat.

18. thecatman

thecatman New Member

State:
    Graham, Texas,
    thanks for the input guys and one more question can you chum for flatheads and if so what kind of chum should i use i have had a lot of success chumming for channels up to 10lbs with milo but i havent ever tried to chum for flats because i dont know what to use

19. SangamonCatKiller

SangamonCatKiller New Member

State:
    central illinois
    I haven't had much success with cut bait as of yet. I have always made a couple of test casts with the net to see what kind of baitfish are available. Once you know what to look for you target them and use them for bait.

20. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    Make sure you hit texas in the states talk section, might find a little more useful tidbits from guys nearby. If you have a boat or have plenty of bank options on the rivers, I would start there. You'll catch them sooner because they are in more predictable locations than on a lake. Deep holes,dams,logjams, even single large logs lying near the bank. You try those spots with whatever live bait is legal (sunfish, suckers, chubs, bullheads, baby carp, Shad) whatever you can gather in a net or catch on rod&reel. And you'll get a flathead. You gotta put in some time on the water though. If it was easy everyone would be doing it. LOL