A little help on late winter patterns...?

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by Gary S., Feb 12, 2007.

1. Gary S.

Gary S. New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Hey everybody! I've been horribly sidetracked for quite a while, but I'm glad to be back in the good company of the BOC!
    Here's the reason for the post. My dad passed on in November and left me his boat. I'm getting another motor within the next month, so I can be on the water by March, hopefully. Anyhow...we always fished the Missouri near Weldon Springs down to St. Charles or so. The patterns that we usually tried were fishing below the wing dikes, sometimes above them. He was always so convinced that below the dikes were nearly the only place to catch 'em. Love him to pieces, but he was a little stubborn:0a14: .
    What I'm trying to get to here is, what are some of the patterns that you guys have had success with in early summer? We didn't catch squat to speak of last year, and not much better the year before. I know one of the biggest problems we had was not being more versatile. But, I really don't want to spend another year reeling in baited hooks! I've thought about fishing the channel, but dad was always pretty uncomfortable anchoring in the current, so we didn't get to experiment with that very much. Another pattern I want to try is to fish the really shallow water around some of the sandbars.
    Is there any merit to the two patterns above? I just hope some of you can shed some light on this for me. We USED to catch fish almost every time we went out. But then the few honey-holes we had filled up with sandbars. Once that happened, we were stuck trying to find new holes. Guess I've got alot to learn about finding new holes, since I haven't found a good one since.
    Thanks guys----LONG LIVE THE BOC!

2. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    All the patterns you mentioned hold merit. There is a time and place for it all. The funny thing I always think about when people ask me if i fish above or below them. There the same in away. You are either fishing above one or below one at all times. Unless you happen to be fishing the last dike before the channel switches sides. This too can be a good one to fish below. Another productive spot can be where the sandbar starts dropping into the channel. Just remember the more current you have the straighter it will hold the boat.

3. Gary S.

Gary S. New Member

State:
    Missouri
    So, crazy...guess maybe part of the puzzle for me may revolve around better timing....thank you!

4. theonecatfishbob

theonecatfishbob New Member

State:
    Wright City, Missouri
    I have spent a lot of time on the Mo. I have caught fish in all of the situations you mentioned. If there is one piece of advice I can give to a new comer it is keep moving and trying different situations. My friend and I have a saying. When you tried all the things that make sense and usually work, with no luck try somethin stupid. In other words dont be afraid to try something different. the river changes constantly. Learn to change with it.

5. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    This really is a great site with great people isnt it. I hope I have helped just a little bit. If I can help at all, just drop me a pm. I'm sure the others will jump in and help to.

6. SEMOcats

SEMOcats New Member

State:
    Jackson, Missouri
    What kind of bait are you using?

7. Gary S.

Gary S. New Member

State:
    Missouri
    theonecatfishbob, I appreciate your help. Maybe doin somethin "stupid" could teach me volumes! I really really hope as all of you do too, that this year will reward us all with more fish pictures to post.

Cuz, you sure have a wealth of knowlege! Thank you for sharing some of it with me! You can bet I'll be putting your advice to use as soon as I get that motor.

SEMO, we've been using shad and the occasional skipjack mainly. At times we've used just about everything imaginable. I really think our problem has been, not finding the fish at all. Personally, I believe if your 50yds off most of the active fish, you'll have a harder time getting bites. They do roam at times. As well as actively searching for food, but as a rule I think it's important to get zeroed in on them if ya can. But, hey this comes from the guy who just said he had trouble finding them so, maybe I'm way off base.

8. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    If your going to be fishing in the next three weeks or so Gary, look for the deep water and keep your baits sizes smaller than usuall. The bite is real subtle and you have to anticipate the bite. The blues will eat this time of year though. Dont even try to target the flatheads. They wont eat until that water warms up. Best of luck to you. I'm sure you will do fine.

9. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    K guys, I had to make a post so I wasnt stuck on 666 post. That was a little scarey. LOL. :hell_boy:

10. Gary S.

Gary S. New Member

State:
    Missouri
    LOL Cuz, thats funny! I feel privileged that you chose my post! lol

11. curdog

curdog New Member

State:
    Sheridan, Arkansas
    Sorry to hear about your DAD Gary.