Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner

A little help for a Soldier

3K views 27 replies 23 participants last post by  Ironhead 
#1 ·
Howdy,
I am in the Military and new to the area. I live on Fort Belvoir. Are there any good local spots around me. The only place I have fished since I have been here is on Belvoir. I assume it is the Potomac I am fishing on. What should I expect to catch out there? About all I am catching are little (1-2lbs) cats. They look like mudcats to me. What are the best baits for this area. I use liver and whatever bait fish I catch out there (usually perch). I have tried live and cut, but have had no luck. The liver works great for the little ones, but where are the bigger ones?.......sigh

#4 ·
Welcome to the BOC! I'm not from that area, so I can't help you there, but there are plenty of members who are! I'm sure you'll have more advice than you'll ever think you'll need before too long, :lol: Have fun, search the forum, and check out the Virginia section.:cool2:

#10 ·
I've been catfishing on the potomac a couple this time year and I'm about 30 miles upstream from you according to the map.

I've been fishing mostly with chicken livers and other chicken body parts and have been catching channel cats in the 1-8lb range and lots of bullheads(mudcats).

I looked at every resource I could for catfish species in the potomac and it seems it has channel cat, blue cat, white and brown bullhead.

Seems like most of the blue population is in the lower river - down by you but maybe a bit further down. They also prefer live bait - which I havn't tried yet!

~
Brian

#11 ·
Jon, first welcome to the Boc. Now to answer your question.. There are 2 piers on Belvoir and numerous bank fishing areas along Pohick Creek, catfish and carp, seen some up to 30#. If you can gain access to the pier where the LST's are moored, some good cats there. If you have transportation, go up the Geo. Washington Parkway to the second pull off above Mount Vernon estate. Should be some picnic tables and a nice opening in the trees to fish. would start using cut perch / gills or clam snouts, liver or maybe night crawlers. Also the river is tidal affected, and you will probably catch more on the incoming tide and some on the outgoing tide. I've never used stinkbait so I won't comment .I caught more fish on clam snouts and cut perch than anything else. There are some big cats in the river so you might want to put out a pole with a live bluegill on it.
Check the laws , I think it's changed and you can no longer use the white or yellow perch. Hope this helps and good fishing.

#15 ·
I fish that stretch of the potomac regularly and it is loaded with 20 to 30 pound blue cats. The channel drop on the main stem of the potomac right off fort belvoir down to the mouth of pohick bay is real good. I am not sure if you are allowed there because I never see anyone there but the channel drop is within casting distance from shore. Cut shad is the best bait, some like eels, white perch etc. I use big pieces on a 8/0 hook but if you downsize you can get a ton of eating size fish. Blue cats are about all you will get anymore they are kind of dominating the channels although I still get a few. The fishing has been slow for the past couple weeks due to the spawn but should change soon.

#16 ·
Hi Jon, my name is Butch and I fish with the Virginia Catfishing Assoc. We have tournaments on the Potomac twice a year and the fish are big and gettung bigger. So far we haved weighed Blue Cats in the 50 lb. range and I don't think 60 is that far off. There is a good population in the 5 to 20 lb. range in the river.Most members will use live shad and white perch until they die and then we cut them up and use them some more. Almost any fresh cut bait will work just fine. The bite is a little slow right now do to the spawn. The action should pick up by the end of June. Cut eel, clam snouts,shrimp, night crawlers will work good for small blues and channels. We mainly fish from Matttawoman up to the WW bridge. If you have access to a boat try fishing the channel break.

#17 ·
I used to shoot skeet at the fort and was raised in Arlington. I fished the Potomac a lot and you can exepct to catch all kinds of cats down there. Shrimp works real well in most places as well as bream and perch and cut bait. It all depends on what species you are looking for. For Blue Cats use cut bait, channels like shrimp and shad. You have been catching Bullheads it sounds like. There are also Flatheads which like live bait like bream or just about anything else that swims. Rig them like you would salt water fishing, with a hook thru the back at the dorsal fin and fish where there is structure and at drop offs.
There are also stripers in there, flounder, American Shad(catch them with Shad Darts), Largemouth Bass, and several other species. Get yourself a Virginia Atlas & Gazetteer at Wally-World and you'll find all kinds of fishing holes. The Rappahannock isn't too far from there and that has great fishing too. Good luck, and thanks for serving.

#20 ·
Hey Jon... can't help with the Potomac, but I can welcome you to the BOC and Thank you for your part in preserving our countrys' freedoms.

#23 ·
Sorry it took me so long to get back to you guys. Working 2 jobs kinda takes it outta me. Thanks for all the great information. I went out last week and didn't do much. I read somewhere that it should pick up around the end of the month. I sure hope so. But catching them or not, I will be out there. I usually end up fishing by myself. If anyone is going to be out my way, it would be great to have some company. Thanks again for all the support.

#24 ·
These guys will really put you on fish, brother. There is a wealth of info in here. Don't be afraid to ask. Anything there is to know about cats and catfishing is right here. Don't forget to try the Member World Discussion section. That's kind of the "general hangout" section. And go to the "New Member Welcome Section" and introduce yourself. There are alot of folks here just waiting to help you out.

#25 ·
Welcome Ironhead. Let me know if you would like to fish the Rap over the holiday weekend at night. I go regularly to the Rap and usually do pretty well. I will be going either Sat or Sun nite for an overnighter and be home by 9-10am the next morning. All you have to do is get in the truck and ride. Tell me where to pick you up and we're off to the Rapp. My wife is connected to Belvoir through Personnel Command over on Telegraph Road. Hope to hear from you soon. Later for now---jonnycat

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.