A Little Fishing Action

Discussion in 'LOCAL OKLAHOMA TALK' started by xringer3, Jan 31, 2008.

1. xringer3

xringer3 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Just to let those of you who are bored and needing SOME kind of action, the trout fishing is pretty good right now. It's better than sitting in the cold waiting for nothing, LOL.

Wednesday, we went to the Illinois river below Tenkiller dam. They were hitting light but once we found them, they gave some pretty good action. Worth the trip anyway. While we were there, they stocked a little ways above were we were fishing, so it definitely picked up. We got our limit and then some. Sure made for a nice dinner and got us out of the house for awhile.

Check the department of wildlife website to see when they're going to be stocking. That afternoon and the next day is always really good.

2. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    Vince, is anyone catching any stripers in the lower illinois? Have you ever tried to use trout for catfish bait? Is it even legal to use as bait if you catch it on R&R?

3. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    YES you can use ANY legally caught gamefish as bait as long as you stay within the legal limits.

So, yes, we can use trout and or LMB as bait.

Poor bass fishermen cry if you tell them that their beloved large mouths are just bait for a large catfish.

4. xringer3

xringer3 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    You can use any gamefish for bait in Oklahoma as long as it's caught by legal means and you don't excede your bag or size limit.

I didn't see anyone catching any stripers, but they're not running much water right now out of tenkiller. They may be mostly downstream, I was up by the dam. I've not tried to use trout for catfish bait, but have thought about it. I usually stay stocked up on shad and skippies in the freezer when they're not around in the winter months, and in the spring and summer catch them fresh. I still might give trout a try though.