A little crappie fishing help here please!

Discussion in 'Crappie Fishing' started by beakus, Jan 16, 2008.

1. beakus

beakus New Member

State:
    derby kansas
    I was thinking about taking my boy out for a little crappie fishing this weekend but the problem is i havent done it much before,let alone from a boat.the gentelman that worked on my boat showed me some places that he goes to on the lake map and a few things to look for and set up on so i feal almost comfertable there.the next thing is rigging,I'M LOST,i'm thinking ultralite pole,4-6lb line,slip bobber,1/16 oz fuzzy jig with a minnow in it.i think that the fish will be around 8-12 ft deep from what i was told to look for.how long do you go before you change colors,depth,location ect. do you use 2 jigs? how far apart?any input is more than i know,please help!

2. C Hill

C Hill New Member

State:
    Catoosa, Oklahoma
    im not much of a boat fisherman but i do crappie fish quite a bit. a ultra light with 4-6 is perfect imo. i use the stick bobbers and a thin wire hook with a minnow on it. i use tube jigs, "fuzzy jigs", or roadrunners too and they work just as good. id tip whatever you use with some kind of bait or sent or minnow. on the depth, keep it a few feet off bottom. when crappie feed they look up for food, hardly ever down.
    good luck

3. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    oh my gosh dont do it you may indeed catch one injure it and be forced off the board. if your not experienced in handeling these delicate fish you may kill one and we couldnt live with that. oh man this will cause a stirr,

lmao. actually this has become the norm for most threads.

start simple. try some live minnows on slip floats. try coves with heavy structure and hit all around the stumps limbs ect. take lots of tackle. youll loose a bunch. try the debris at entrance to coves. depth will be a guess at first. try 3-4' then 5-6 untill ya start getting hits. minnows should work. if water is dark might try some bright colored jigs like white and chartruse. im not an expert but catch a few here and there.

4. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    Small is good. Get ya some minners small one this time of year, and do what you already know and what everyone else has suggested, If you mark fish at 10 feet fish them at 9 91/2. Just remember what ya did when ya catch the first one and you'll be set, no hits after a while try a change any color can be good at any time, I find the biggest thing is just the size of presentation no matter what it is, and just try slow and steady, and when yer partner gets bored, then ask him what he thinks, you'll be surprised! :wink: Good Luck and have fun!
    Randy

5. AlaCatter

AlaCatter New Member

State:
    alabama
    I always over do line and rod when catfishng, so when I go after crappie I like to go as lite as possible. 4lb max on the line, smaller jigs will sink faster and have more action, minnows will be livelier and natural, and you will feel it if you bump a leaf in the water. And finally, find the bait and you'll find the fish. good luck

6. zappaf19

zappaf19 New Member

State:
    Monticello,IN
    Heres my 2 cents. I use a 6' ultra light with 4 lb test. A red and white tube with a 1/32 jig. I will cast it out under docks and let it hit bottom. (With a 1/32 jig the fish will hit it on the way down alot of times) Then crank it in at a slow speed. When vertical (between tree branchs) fishing I drop the line till it hits bottom then litf my pole 6" and shake the rod tip gently ever so often. no hits I crank up another 6". I will give the fish 5 min then change color or move on.
    In warm water I inject crappie nimbles into the tube using the "bait pump"
    Bill

7. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    A friend of mine has been crappie fishing all winter. Last week he caught a couple dozen nice slabs. He says they are in 12' suspended water and the color this week was a small Purple skirted jig. This may change according too water clarity. Good Luck!

8. anchorpuller

anchorpuller New Member

State:
    North Caro
    Well, I'm just a girl, so what do I know.

I take my kids with me every chance I get. They enjoy it. How did I get them to enjoy it? By having patience. Don't take a kid and expect them to sit there all day. The younger the child the less time should be planned for on the water. You have to keep em busy. When the fish weren't biting, I'd let them play with the minnows in the bucket or whatever.

To find fish, you've already gotten some great ideas. I don't use jigs. I use live bait. Just a preference. I use a lightweight setup. For the kids, usually a closed reel (push button kind) loaded with 6 to 8 lb test. The 4lb test is usually a little hard for them to handle and they get hung with it and break it easier. If they aren't running too deep, I've let them use the telescopic poles with really good results. To rig it, I tie on a #6 aberdeen lightweight hook, add a splitshot and a thill bobber. That's it. Oh.. and the crappie minners.

Structure... that's the key. A bridge pilon or sunken brush. They will relate to the structure. I don't have the fancy auto pilot trolling motor or anything like that. I'll usually anchor and fish known structure. In the spring, trolling the banks is good, but I don't find that much success in that in the winter.

Depth. As has been mentioned crappie feed UP not down. They will not go 3" down to get that minnow. I will start a couple turns off the bottom and stagger a few poles up until I find the depth they are holding at. I also use my fish finder to help with this sometimes.

Nothing like them helping you "count" the days haul..

[​IMG]

Anyway.. Good luck. If you get 'em hooked, they'll be ruent. :smile2:
    [​IMG]

My daughter with a slab she caught.

[​IMG]

My son showing some pride over a brushpile resident he caught.

9. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    about all i ever use anymore is an 1/8 jig head and a curly tail. my waters are stained to muddy so i can get away with heavy line to get the jigs back. if you have clear water you will need lighter line and maybe jigs too.

nothing wrong with chowing down on crapy, they are very prolific in most waters. selective harvest is a good practice though. lol had to toss that in there for jeremy.

hope you and your kids get into a mess for dinner bro.

10. SkiMax

SkiMax New Member

State:
    Rising Sun, IN
    I agree with everything that has been said on here. I have been catching them in 8-12 feet of water lately. But in the creeks and backwaters of the ohio river they have been in 3 feet. The river is up and they would rather be in shallow water than high current. But it fishing a lake or slow current, try 8-12 feet. I use 10-12 foot poles and usually a slip bobber and minnow this time of year. The main thing I do different than most people is I use 8 lb line. I fish the nastiest cover I can find (or have sunk myself) and hangups are inevitable. If I can't get it off, I have a much better chance of saving my rig with 8 pound line. Plus it's not unusual to hook into a big bass or flathead around here in the warmer months, so I like the heavier line. Good luck and let us know how you did!

If you struggle now, just wait til the spawn and take the kids out. You wont be able to take the fish off fast enough for them!

11. night catter

night catter New Member

State:
    missouri
    Start with a good lake map. Locate some creek channels intersecting with a river channel or outside bends in the river. Once you are in the area locate balls of shad with your fish finder and note the depth they are at. Find some brush pyles or tree stumps at the depth the shad are at. I use two 1/16th ounce jigs tied 12 inches apart different colors to start with. Fish one foot above the brush pyle. In cold water try not to move to fast slow is better watch your line movement. Have fun with your kids and remember let them tell you when they are ready to go home kids get tired easy you dont want to burn them out by them being bored. :0a22:

12. jgoforthh

jgoforthh New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Now that most water has cooled into the 50s or lower i find most of my crappie on the edge of drop offs ussually between 15-30 feet of water, and it is the truth about cover, ussually. So if theres no cover then theres no crappie for a general rule. Id fish with minnows and if your good with the trolling motor i would not even use slip floats i would just drift fish them off the side of the boat, i ussually use the slip floaters for casting, mainley off the bank. i use a # 2 aberdeen gold hook because they ussually will straighten out when you get hung so you dont lose everything and you can just bend it back. sometimes they wont hit minnows and then i like to use skirted jigs like a pearl white or salt and pepper or maybe a panfish assassin shad(made by bass assassin). hpe this helps and g slow slow slow with some pauses on you jig retrieve. keep crappieing. good luck.

13. baptistpreach

baptistpreach New Member

State:
    Oklahoma!
    Light line, light hookset, light drag, and get a heavy stringer full!

14. IAB1965

IAB1965 New Member

State:
    Columbia, SC
    Where do you plan on going fishing? I plan on being in Wichita, KS at the end of the month and I would love to go fishing. Keep us informedÂ…. What is the weather like? :big_smile:

15. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    Laura, girl or not,,,i think ya got it figured out. expecially the part of don't over-do it with lil fellers. When they lose interest take it to the bank and let em chunk rocks or something. Bottom line is make it fun, catchin fish is a bonus.

16. CatAngler

CatAngler New Member

State:
    Omaha NE
    John your rig setup will work fine. I fish for crappie in winter only (ice fishing) and I target waters in the 15' range typically on a channel ledge. I'll setup my slip bobber where my bait is suspended 2' off the buttom. I will usually give it 30mins & if these's no bites & no signs of fish on the finder. I'll pack up and move to a new spot.

J

17. beakus

beakus New Member

State:
    derby kansas
    i'll let you know if i go tomarrow its suposed to be about 10 deg.tonight,low 30's tomarrow with wind,so i'll have to see if its going to be to windy.

18. smokey

smokey New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    A trick we used to use is when you have found fish and are cathcing a few, Take a fish hook it right in frount of the tail.put enough line to make it the depth you cought the fish.hook a good size bobber to it and let the fish go. crappies are school fish and will return to the school. just follow the fish around and you will clean up!!smokey

19. crazyjet1

crazyjet1 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    One little trick i have learned in my years at fishing for crappie in cold water is to fish deep and to fish slow if your fishing with the minnners i would definitely use a slip bobber and what not. But if your fishing with your jigs i would set around some structure and set the little ball red and white clip on bobbers on your line about three feet up from your jighead it will help you slow down your retrieve and you will be able to watch for the bite a lot easier, sometimes those crappie like it real slow but sometimes always remember they like it even slower. Just something a buddy of mine taught me and it worked really well to slow my retrieve down and also keep my bait off the bottom.