A little controversy

Discussion in 'UFC, Boxing, Wrestling, etc.' started by Mi11er, Oct 25, 2009.

1. Mi11er

Mi11er New Member

State:
    Independence, M
  2. rockbass

rockbass New Member

State:
    Ohio
    What it boiled down to was the Machida/Shogun fight wasn't a fast paced one sided brawl like a majority of the "fans" want to see. We had a 5 round decision with 2 very good fighters. Fights that last for 5 rounds are usually boring......to most people. What I think happened in this case was 2 very good fighters that knew that one misstep could have bad results, so they both played it pretty safe.

Another factor that is causing so much of an uproar is the fact that it was such a close fight that no matter the decision, there would have been grief either way. The thing with 5 round fights that you don't have in 3 rounders is the fighters have more opportunity to score....duh. What I'm saying is that with this fight, you had more points to win/lose. Shogun may have poured it on a bit harder the last 2 rounds, but it didn't make up for the first 3 rds. If I were scoring, I would have had rd 1 so close it was a toss up. 2&3 went to Machida, 4&5 went to Shogun. so it could have been either way really.

It all boils down to the judges. The guys are human. They also have a different angle to see the fights than we do. When all is said and done, any close fight will bring some sort of controversy. This fight I think brought more simply because with these 2 fighters we all expected fireworks. just my opinion in a nutshell haha :wink:

3. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I think Rua won the fight by decision, those leg and body kicks seemed brutal. Only thing is I think the champ should be soundly defeated to lose the belt, so overall I cant complain. Too close to call really, hopefully the rematch will be better. It did show Machida is mortal though.

4. KAW RIVER KILLER

KAW RIVER KILLER New Member

State:
    Lenexa, KS
    If this was under the scoring system that they used in Pride, where the fight was judged as a whole, I would have gave the fight to Rua. The two rounds Rua won were substantially more dominate than the three Machida had over him. That's just the 10 point must system for you:embarassed:.

5. rockbass

rockbass New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Great point! The 10 point system is ok, but it's not perfect. I think this is a lot of why this thing blew up. Fans no matter how much or how little they know look at the whole picture.

This fight definately showed Machida is vulnerable. I'd almost like to see them each face someone else before the rematch just to see if either one of them will have that dominance we got used to about them before they fight again.
    Could it just be that they have each other's number? If Rua wins the next fight by decision, that'll mean a rubber match. I think I'd like to see each of them fight someone else before the rematch.