A little boat advice.

Discussion in 'Gateway Catfishing Club' started by mjdinstl314, May 6, 2009.

1. mjdinstl314

mjdinstl314 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Hello,

I just recently bought my first real fishing boat. It is a 16 FT Jon boat with a flat bottom and a semi V. I have a 25 HP Mercury tiller steer motor with electric start. It runs good and is fairly stable. My question is, do you believe this would be a good boat for the Mississippi river or the MO river? I have been told both ways yes and no. I have had it out on Mark Twain Lake and the Kaskaskia River. It did well in both situations. However I took it out on Baldwin Lake and it scared the bajesus out of me (it was a fairly windy day). I am very interested in learning more about fishing these big rivers, but I am afraid my boat will not get me there.

Thank You,

Michael

2. theonecatfishbob

theonecatfishbob New Member

State:
    Wright City, Missouri
    I fished and pulled hoop nets and trammel nets out of the Missouri river with a 16X48 Gen. lll. Just have to watch what you do and by all means avoid alcohol

3. Grumper

Grumper New Member

State:
    Crystal City MO
    I grew up fishing the Mississippi in a 16 foot bass tracker with a 40hp Merc. My buddy has a 15 ft with a 30hp Yammy we have been running for years. You just need to know the capabilities or your rig and use common sense, and you'll be fine.:wink:

4. poopdeck [patrick]

poopdeck [patrick] New Member

State:
    ofallon il
    I think you will be alright, just be careful and always wear your life vest. If I were you I would put in at columbia bottoms and get the feel of the river and then head down to the mississippi, about 3 miles. Just be careful of the barges. Oh watch out for the dykes too especially now as they are under water. I will be going out friday around 1 or so can you meet me there with your boat?

5. RIVER-RAT

RIVER-RAT New Member

State:
    MO / MT
    You have recieved some good advice...there were two things that should really be adhered too....life vest and stay away from the alcohol!

If and when you get out on the river, just remember that a barge creates one hell of a big wake. If the choppy water on the lake scared ya, the wake from one of those barges will too, in fact I'd have to say that the barge wake is probably bigger.

Another thing, if there is a south wind....that is a good recipe for really choppy water out there on the river too.

Bottom line....COMMON SENSE...it will get you along way in life. Listen to your gut, if it doesn't feel right, then it ain't right! I have fished many many many nights on the river and have waited for daylight to come cause I just didn't feel comfortable running the river in the dark on those particular nights.

Be safe and have fun!

6. poopdeck [patrick]

poopdeck [patrick] New Member

State:
    ofallon il
    Bill said listen to your gut and he is right. theres been a few times where I got there and turned around and headed home because of the way the river looked. It can be really scarey out there. Ask dan I scared the sh*t out of him. i think he had to change his diaper:smile2:

7. Skunk Master

Skunk Master New Member

State:
    Colinsville, Il
    The first time or 2 out on the big rivers you would probably be better off riding with someone else to get a feel of it.. I've seen 3 people in a 16x48 with about 2 inches of boat showing above the waterline and that scared me sitting in my boat.. If nothing else ask someone who runs the river to go out with you and then they can help you learn the do's and don'ts..

8. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    Forget the big rivers, your scaring me already!!!:crazy:

9. mjdinstl314

mjdinstl314 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Well thank you all. You have provided me with some very helpful information. I am not a big drinker so alcohol is not a factor. I work 9-5 m-f so I would not be able to make it out Friday. I am free on most weekends and in the evening. I work 5 mins from Columbia Bottom. Thank You all again.

10. FLOAT TRIP WILLIE

FLOAT TRIP WILLIE Active Member

State:
    St. Louis
    welcome aboard..
    This is a fun site to be on, but u have to be here to enjoy it
    Just be safe out there and respect the rivers..