a little bitter lol

Discussion in 'Blue Catfishing' started by slikk03, Aug 1, 2009.

1. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    well ive had alot of disputes on blues coming close to the bank, seems im wrong, its an area thing, i got in many disputs saying you got to cast way out to get blues,well, what it is ,were i fish is the altone dam and the flats are realy shalow so you got to cast into the deeper water, now on alot of rivers they drop off 25 yards or less closer to the bank, but im screwed, i need a boat to fish this lock,ill loose about 20 weghts in a trip and not make it to the channel so, im serching my head and im going to try to find a way to get out there alot farther, until i get a boat one day, sorry to the bros i disagreed with

2. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    eating crow sucks but it takes a good man that will do it:wink::cool2:

3. Catfish_Scooter

Catfish_Scooter New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Yep. The boat is the saving grace for monster kittys. Everytime i go out i done really count on a big cat myself hence i am a bank angler. Probably get me a cat prowler boat when i get some money. Maybe a flat bottom Mako.:smile2:

4. Wiscars

Wiscars New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    If you are bank bound and need some real distance try a balloon rig on a sliding setup . Two tricks are needed for this to work. First, let the balloon ride down close to the weight and swivel. Then loop the line thru the hole in a lifesaver, and then loop the lifesaver itself to hold the rig shallow. When the lifesaver melts,the rig slides to the stop, and the balloon is then holding you at the selected depth. Mint lifesavers melt in 10-12min. but the fruit take about 20min. for longer distance. Second, watch for a breezy day with the wind blowing toward your desired deep area. The bigger the balloon the better it will move with the breeze. It is simple, and it works almost as good as a bait boat! You need to watch the wind.:wink: With current and no whirlpools, a small planer board works well if the current is not too strong. A fishermans ability to solve problems, unique to certain areas,is the real measure of skill. Everybody has an opinion about shallow or deep.:roll_eyes: But the ability to change tactics for different situations is more valuable for your fishing future:cool2:. A boat is costly:eek:oooh: but a balloon and some lifesavers are a slick way to get some distance . Hope you can use this info for your situation. Good luck!

5. RPnKC

RPnKC New Member

State:
    Kansas
    And tastes best warm.

6. cathog

cathog New Member

State:
    Lone Oak Texas
    Learn something new everyday. I haven't ever heard of the lifesaver thing before, but I will definately file it away to be used at an oppurtune time. Thanks for the tip and reps to ya.

7. Hunt4lyf

Hunt4lyf New Member

State:
    Colorado
    How many yards are you having to cast to get to the channel you mentioned? Also, live or cutbait and what size of bait?

8. gotta go

gotta go New Member

State:
    SC
    I seen where a lot of bank fishermen or using those small gas powered boats (the kind with the remote control) they cost more than a ballon and a lifesaver but if there is no wind or the wind may be blowing toward the bank these control boats might be the ticket. Not to mention the fun of racing your buddys ( my boat will outrun your boat):smile2:

9. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    about 50 60, i cant sling it,on my abues, i just cant,but ill figer it out

10. Hunt4lyf

Hunt4lyf New Member

State:
    Colorado
    Have you thought about a different setup for that area? Maybe try a 50 series okuma or shimano baitrunner. I use an Okuma avenger 50 series and with a 9 ft ugly stik I can drop a 3" piece of bluegill with a 4 oz weight just at 100 yds with a proper cast. With a 12 ft Ugly Stik I an drop that bait out to 140 yds or so.

If you are interested search my name and find the post where I was talking with MRMARKANDREWS, I followed his advice and it worked perfectly.

11. LOWCOUNTRY CATMAN

LOWCOUNTRY CATMAN New Member

State:
    sc
    50 to 60 yds is very doable without much problem.If you are using a ABU
    of good quality on any good sized rod I cant imagine you not getting 50 yds.Im not a distance caster by any long stretch and I can get 60 easy with either of my two bigger set-ups.And it can be done with big bait also.I recommend some practice casting somewhere until you can reach your needed distance.

12. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    well i cant get but 40 yards, with a ten footer, but it needs cleaned

13. LOWCOUNTRY CATMAN

LOWCOUNTRY CATMAN New Member

State:
    sc
    Something in the mix is not right then....line,loading of rod,reel issues,something.

What are you wanting to cast this 50 to 60 yds......explain the size of bait,size of weight,type of leader,etc,and I bet someone on here can help you,maybe including myself.