A little advice.

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by Bubbakat, Nov 19, 2006.

1. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    I know it has already had some hard freezes north of KY. state but you guys need to check those lower units and make sure they don't have any water in them. Top the fuel tanks off after every use and add some fuel stablizer.

Could save you some bucks and down time. I know hunting is here but take a few out to do this. It doesn't mater if you use them or not just make sure the water is on the outside and not on the inside of those tanks and lower units.
    Also if your boat is stored outside then lower the motor in the straigh up and down position.

If you have you boats outside the back the tires upon some boards or jack it up and set it on some blocks or stands.

2. Catfish_Commando

Catfish_Commando TF Staff Member

State:
    Georgia
    Willard,

If we are still running the boat during the winter, is there a need for Stabil?

Paul

3. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Sure is paul. That fuel could freeze going down the river.

4. miichael

miichael New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    My 20hp has a slow water leak somewhere in lower unit. i pressure tested it with vent hole closed but i cant find the leak. no lube has every dripped out but water somehow gets in because when i change it its brown/milky. I try to change it after 4 or 5 trips. do you think it could freeze and bust something in my lower unit if its just getting a little water? i can drain all the lube out and leave it dry if i have to because i only run the boat about 1 time a month if that. like i say its not much water getting in but it is some enough to change color in my oil. unless i need to just flush my lower unit with something because i did replace the prop shaft seal and ever since that the oil gets milky every time. Maybe i need to flush the lower unit with like kerosene or something to get all that old oil and milky stuff out?

5. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Michael if it is getting enough water in it to change the color then it can and most likely freeze and burst the case. If it was already in there when you put in the new prop shaft seal then it would have been gone after the first two changes. Did you replace those little gaskets around the drain and fill screws. Those little suckers are prone to leak for no reason other then to agravate yea. Do you know how to pressure ck one.

6. zappaf19

zappaf19 New Member

State:
    Monticello,IN
    I am still fishing up here and have put stabe in my tank. I make sure the lower unit is down when I park the boat. The only trouble I had last year was my steering cable broke when it froze. That cost me a new cable. I add grease now.
    Bill

7. jdstraka

jdstraka Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, Iowa
    Name:
    John
    Thanks for the Tips Willard! You Sir are the Man. Your Friend J.D.

8. fish

fish Active Member

State:
    ChattanoogaTenn
    Willard, that ole boat of mine has a 21 gal gas tank and I can't afford to keep it full. Will the Sta-bil keep the water out of the gas if I don't keep it full?

Michael, my experience is not to get kerosene on rubber as it will swell like crazy, it could mess your gaskets up. They may be making rubber gaskets different now days though.

9. miichael

miichael New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I'm not sure how to pressure test. I filled lower unit with the pump then put the vent screw back in and pumped the lower unit up with fluid and never heard or saw any fluid leaking. The pump put some pressure in the lower unit but i'm not sure how much pressure needs to be put to find leak. Can you help me out?

10. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    I'm not Willard but I'll take a stab anyway..

The problem with not topping off your fuel tank is that you can get water condensation on the inside of the tank which can end up as water in your fuel.

As the outside temperature goes up and down, the fuel in your tank expands and contracts (it's even more pronounced when the boat is sitting in the sunshine); when it cools off and contracts, the fuel tank sucks in air from outside. That air has moisture in it; when the temperature warms up outside but is still cool in the tank, you can get water drops condensing inside the tank. Those drops drip into your fuel, got to the bottom and stay there.

Other than the one-time expense of filling your tank, it's no more expensive to top it off after every trip than to add 5 gallons to an almost empty tank before every trip...

11. fish

fish Active Member

State:
    ChattanoogaTenn
    Marty, that does make sense, thanks a bunch.

12. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    After re-reading, I might have the hot/cold part backwards as far as when the condensation forms.

But it's still something to be concerned about in any case - pilots worry about this problem a lot more than fishermen, and it's commonly recommended that pilots top off the tanks before putting the plane away after a flight.