A lil reminder about the worm

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by Welder, May 29, 2009.

1. Welder

Welder New Member

State:
    Missouri
    In this age of cut and live bait. I still fish with ye ol riverworms. Hammered the fish last night with em. Just a ball of worms on a 1/0 treble hook. Kept a 14 flat for dinner had a blast. I had cut carp out and shad and put some gills out later. They wanted the worms. Wouldent touch any other bait.:confused2: Never can seem to know what they want sometimes.:wink:

2. BajaCoop

BajaCoop Well-Known Member

State:
    Poplar Bluff,MO
    fishing on the osage or the missouri?

3. Welder

Welder New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Was fishen in the mouth of the gasconade river at the Mo river

4. BajaCoop

BajaCoop Well-Known Member

State:
    Poplar Bluff,MO
    hmm

I am trying to decide if i wanna go fishing this weekend or not. I can get to the gasconade pretty easy but where it dumps into the MO is a pretty good ways. What does the water on the gasconade look like now?

5. TheMadCatter

TheMadCatter New Member

State:
    missouri
    FINALLY! a flat head.......lol
    is that the first of the season?

6. big cat matt

big cat matt Member

State:
    mo,OSAGE ARM TRUMAN
    You re right welder,worms do work great.I ve caught a ton of blues on night crawlers,seems to work the best when the river is out of its banks for me.:wink:

7. gdlocal10

gdlocal10 New Member

State:
    kansas
    We tried them last weekend on the marais de cynge and they still wont eat. but thanks for the advice. i usually take worms for channels. but I dont usually put on a bunch at one time.I ll see how that works this weekend.

8. delbert bumbleshoot

delbert bumbleshoot New Member

State:
    Overland Park,Kansas
    I always carry some but I've only caught a couple small channel cats on the river with them this year.On the other hand I've also caught a bunch of sturgeon,2 dozen drum and a couple of big buffalo on them. I picked up 500-600 in my front yard a couple of months ago. So Iuse about 5 or 6 great big ones on a 4/0 J hook at a time. Gotta use a rod with a fast action/ sensitive tip or they will steal your bait and you will never know it.I like a 9' salmon rod with a big spinning reel and 30 lb test. One rod out with worms can liven up the action big time if things are slow. Never know what you will catch on 'em.

9. 320hotrod

320hotrod New Member

State:
    KCMO
    I'm right there with ya. Always gotta have worms on hand, just in case. My biggest flathead to date is a 63# outta the MO on two worms while carp fishing. Now I always keep one rod rigged up, just to see what they're biting.

10. TheMadCatter

TheMadCatter New Member

State:
    missouri
    went out last night spent about 8 hours on the bank of the mo river with only one bite....and of course it was on a worm wad wrapped around a number 2 treble. the fish pulled off, hook got caught in some timber, and had to cut the line :angry:. that led to the invention of some new cuss words.......lol. i think the people fishing down shore from me were amused. ended up chattin with them on the way out, i told them all about the boc and they sounded like they were gonna sign right up. so maybe some good came out of that trip after all.