A Kid's First Catfish!!! (a big one)

Discussion in 'MEMBER FISHING REPORTS (BECOME A FISHING LEGEND)' started by JPritch, Mar 16, 2008.

1. JPritch

JPritch New Member

State:
    Lynchburg, VA
    I normally post in the VA forums, but thought I would share this with everyone.

I took my friends' 11 year old son catfishing with me yesterday. Everytime he sees me he asks me a million questions about fishing and catfish. So it was great to finally take him out. Got to his parents house a little late (he asked them if maybe I had forgotten about the trip, lol). Well, the day started out a little rough for me, I misplaced my drain plug from my previous trip and couldn't find it. But we headed out anyway the whole time I'm praying I can find a place on the way that sells one. Found a Wal-Mart and luckily they had one my size.

We got on the water around 10:30am and hooked up with a friend who caught bait for us that morning so we wouldn't lose alot of fishing time trying to find bait. Set up on the first hole, marked tons of bait fish and good structure, but not a single bite. Second hole, nothing. By now it's pushing 1pm and I'm really worrying about this kid going home empty handed. We went upriver a bit and found some fallen timber near a creek mouth on an outgoing tide, bait fish in the area, and striper activity. So we set up, and get a few nibbles, but no takedowns. Around 2pm, far right pole slams down and I yell for him to grab it. The fight is on! This kid fights the fish like a pro and at the same time screaming how awesome this is, and five minutes later, he lands his first ever catfish! - and a Virginia Citation to boot! 33.5 lbs / 41.5" !!! I really don't know who was more excited about the fish, me or him!

The kid seriously has a knack for cattin'. He saw me cut one shad, and he volunteered to cut the rest. And he was staying on me all day to swap out baits with fresh bait! And this is awesome - he caught a 10lber a little later. And after we got the hook out, we couldn't get a hand in the fish's mouth to hold him up for a picture. So he tried picking it up by its sides and it kept slipping. The fish had been out of the water for a while at this point, so he told me let's just let the fish go, I don't want to kill the fish for a picture!

It was a memorable trip and it was great to take him!

Attached Files:

2. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    Joshua,
    Kudos to you for taking the little man out. What a great way for him to start his catfishing career...W

3. SassyManxLady

SassyManxLady New Member

State:
    MO
    Josh,
    I too want to thank you for taking the lad fishing with you. You now have a side-kick for life:big_smile:
    Sassy

4. orion_xxvx

orion_xxvx New Member

State:
    North Central Missouri
    Outstanding thats a guy that will fish the rest of his days! And caught a bigger one first time than I ever have. Thats just fantastic! Hope I can do the same with my grandsons.

5. leupy

leupy New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I have a small pond that I keep stalked with bass, c bluegills and catfish just for the new and young fisherman, It costs me about 1k per year in minnows and floating fish food but it is worth it to me to see the kids when they catch a nice fish. I even cook them up for them if they want. I do not allow them to take them to a freezer, catch and release or eat them here only.

6. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    Thats a great thing you did. I am sure the kid will be a lifelong catman but either way he will remember you for the rest of his life. FISH ON BROTHER!!!

7. Coyote1

Coyote1 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Dear Brother Joshua;
    :eek:oooh:WHOOOHA!!!!:eek:oooh: What a Catch for that young Gentleman!!!
    Sir, YOU are to be COMMENDED! :big_smile:
    You took the time and effort to take this young man fishing with you. You made the efforts to try and not let him get bored as children that age are sometimes prone too. And look at the results!!:wink:
    In your post you asked a question about not knowing who was more "happy". I can easily answer that one for you and there is NO Doubt in my mind what-so-ever as to what I am going to say either!
    YOU are more happier for that 11 year old young man for catching that "Trophy" that if you would have caught one twice that size yourself!!
    I would like to make a suggestion to you. Please take one, or both, of those pictures and have an 8" x 10" enlargement made and on the back, put the date, and the location, of that catch! This way, he will have a photograph to show his schoolmates and teachers, and, many, many, years from now, when this young gentleman is our age, perhaps with children and grandchildren he will have a memento to share with them, as well as a reminder of one day in his life, something really great happened! :big_smile: Because not every day will be as great as this day was! That we adults already know. But having memories and photos like that can occasionally brighten a dim day, and make us feel a bit younger too. :wink:
    {{THANK YOU}} so very much, for sharing this wonderful moment in time with us!!!
    Reading your post has been the highlight of my week!!!:big_smile: And I again, commend you!
    May the day soon come when you too will land your personal best!:big_smile:
    Yours Most Sincerely and Fraternally,
    Coyote1
    [[[[[End of Post]]]]]

8. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    I'm jealious thats a bigger fish than I have ever caught. JK Tell the young man CONGRADS. You know he's hooked for life now for sure.

9. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Outstandin! Ya done a real good thing for the boy. THANX!

10. Junior42

Junior42 New Member

State:
    Catlettsburg, KY
    Hey that's a pretty nice cat.

11. alpal16

alpal16 New Member

State:
    Philly, PA
    That is a great story and you did an awesome thing for a new fisherman. I am sure he will remember that day for a long time. Good going!!

12. PhillyCatcatcher4

PhillyCatcatcher4 New Member

State:
    S.W.Phila.,Penn.
    Josh.that was a great story & gesture on your part. It's always great to hear about children having a ball on the water,especially when they catch fish. Thanks for sharing with us. :wink:

13. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    Sounds like you have a fishing partner for life. My hat is off to you for taking a kid fishing and making his day memorable for catching such a great fish. That's awesome to see a kid land such a whopper of a fish. It would be nice to have a replica mount made of that fish. They look awesome when done by reputable taxidermist. GREAT JOB!:worship::0a23:

Mark..

14. curdog

curdog New Member

State:
    Sheridan, Arkansas
    That looks like a happy little boy. Way to go!

15. bambam

bambam New Member

State:
    VIRGINIA
    That was a great and honaorable thing you just did. I hope many of us will learn from that simple act of kindness. taking a young person fishing now may prevent us from taking him to the courthouse later. I work in a prison and sometimes i wonder where these young men would be if somebody had spent a little one on one time with them when they were younger. I pray the good Lord will bless you allways.

16. bumper

bumper New Member

State:
    Georgia
    That young man will remember that for the rest of his life, and wow, what a 1st catfish! Great of you to take him with you. Looks like you've got a good fishin' partner on your hands.

17. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    It looks like we have a new pro on tour. Thats a great story and I'm sure it was that young mans dream. Great job.

18. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

Pennsylvaniacatchaser Well-Known Member

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    Way to go Joshua! :big_smile: Awesome job taking out that young man and putting him on a real hog for his 1st Cat! :cool2:

19. Catpaw

Catpaw Well-Known Member

State:
    Central Cail
    Name:
    James
    Now that's what it's all about right there .....Job well done Joshua thank's for the story and pic's.:big_smile:

20. Bullfoot

Bullfoot New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I dont know whats bigger the smile on my face or the big ole cat! What an awesome thing you have done, keep up the good work.:wink: