A jig is a rig duhhh

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by airforceben, Jun 4, 2007.

1. airforceben

airforceben New Member

State:
    california
    in-fisherman had a whole article this month about using jigs when catfishing so one could eliminate the need for leaders and weight, therefore having more control and direct contact with the bait. there were even some good ideas of how to put cutbait on a jig thats more secure then just a normal j hook and u can use the whole minnow, pretty interesting stuff.

2. BAM

BAM New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Most associate the jig with bass fishing, when in reality it is nothing more than a hook and a weight, and they do work for cats.

3. JMarrs328

JMarrs328 New Member

State:
    York/Harrisburg, PA
    That would sure make casting easier w/o a 3 foot length of line w/ big nasty hooks flying threw the air. haha! :cool2:

4. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Who makes a 5 oz. 10/0 leadhead?:lol:

5. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    A lightweight weedless jig with a chunk of cutbait on it is an excellent way to fish places that are otherwise unfishable.

6. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I tought a jig was for bass fishing?

7. BAM

BAM New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Well Mark here you go.

Chubie Jig - 3-D Soft Molded Eyes

Hook Type: Mustad 91715D, 34081D
    Collar: Ball
    Eye: 3-D Soft Molded
    Description: The Chubie Jig is a great bucktail jig, features a swollen pregannt belly, recessed eyes, and a ball collar for tying on bucktail material. ** Denotes custom mold needs to be ordered - average 2 - 3 weeks.

Size Options Price
    1/2 oz - 6/0 Hook ** $0.60
    3/4 oz - 6/0 Hook ** $0.70
    1 oz - 7/0 Hook ** $0.75
    1 1/2 oz - 7/0 Hook ** $0.80
    2 oz - 8/0 Hook ** $0.90
    3 oz - 8/0 Hook ** $1.10
    4 oz - 9/0 Hook ** $1.25
    5 oz - 9/0 Hook ** $1.40
    6 oz - 9/0 Hook ** $1.70
    8 oz - 10/0 Hook ** $2.20
    10 oz - 10/0 Hook ** $2.70

8. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    I figured you had the answer. I've seen some large ones in the saltwater section of some tackle stores. Never paid attention to the actual sizes other then Man!, that sucker is big in a passing glance.

9. cubedweller

cubedweller New Member

State:
    MO
    Wow, 10oz with 10/0 hook jighead? So, do I use a 1" or 2" Beetle Spin body on that? hahah

In reality, I might have to find a couple of these and give them a try -- they're probably right about having better feel for the bottom...a 3-way rig has a way of making you feel disconnected from what's on the bottom. Now if they'd make a big jighead like that but shaped like a spoon weight so that it ascends when you reel, that'd be something. Hmmm...

10. BAM

BAM New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    They make them also, spoons that is.
    Most of the time I use a 1/4 oz jig under a float with cut bait ( when using a jig for cats), if fishing on bottom i use a standup jighead.