a Hornets nest

Discussion in 'Small Game Hunting' started by Shenandoah, Oct 23, 2008.

1. Shenandoah

Shenandoah New Member

State:
    Virginia
    not sure if game gets much smaller than this.
    I've just recently come upon a hornets nest. I want to preserve it maybe display it in the house. Anybody know a good way to do so with out it falling apart after a couple of years?

2. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I have heard of spraying them with clear coat for auto's ,in an arosol can.

3. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    The ones we have done and have stood the test of time, we have put several coats of polyurathane on them. Just put them in the freezer or spray the inside with hornet spray to make sure all of them are gone or dead before you put them in the house. I have some pics of mine on this site somewhere.

4. Poppa

Poppa New Member

State:
    Pinson, Al
    I have one in my living room that is over 20 years old and I did not do
    anything to it. The main thing about how long they last is the age of the
    nest when you found it. A hornet nest is built in the spring and abandoned
    in the late fall. Its made of a substance almost like paper and after a few
    years in the weather it starts to fall apart. If you can find a newly abandoned
    nest it will last a long time.

5. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    put it in a bag and hit it with a blast from a fogger or some raid spray. after words get some matte finish brush on or better spray craft finish. give it a few coats and keep it dry. they will last for years. get a low gloss or it will look like a shiny turd lol.:smile2:

6. Duckpoor

Duckpoor New Member

State:
    Illinois
    On a Cold morning we carefuly cut the branch that supported it, then Soak a cotten ball in Wasp and hornet spray and inserted it in the opening.
    Put it in a plastic bag and hang it in the shed for a week or so.
    I have Sprayed it lightly with Hair Spray , smoothing any rufffled places as the spray makes a good adhesive and let it dry . ( The Dollar store has tons of this cheap stuff and it is the best.)

Just a few min is all that is necessary and repeate this several times. Stop when it gets starts to get shiney when you spray, that indicates you have it coated.

I really give the portion of the nest that the limb goes thru a good application to toughen it up.
    I have done many and given them away to others that admire the ones in my shop.
    Keep an sharp eye out for those little ones, they are sure cute. Collecting them can be an adventure as getting them small means getting them when they are active. They make neat additions to still life mounts and My Taxi friend takes all I will part with.

Strange fun but I enjoy doing it.

Good luck and error on the side of caution with them, They are fowl tempererd critters. LOL

rg