A Hidden Jewel: Lake Acworth

Discussion in 'GEORGIA LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by IrishO'Brady, Oct 7, 2006.

1. IrishO'Brady

IrishO'Brady New Member

State:
    Ga
    Not too many people notice it... its small impoundment that is technically a seperate lake from Allatoona. And unlike Allatoona theres won't be swarms of fisherman, skiers, personnel watercraft, and pleasure boaters around. It is a trolling motor only lake, and at most I have seen 2 other boats out besides mine. Right now the water is low for a drain they do, but it is still relatively simple to put your boat in. You can even have a gas motor on your boat... just can't crank it up. Amidst scattered cover and vegeatation throughout the lake, you can catch SLAB crappies (3# are not uncommon) excellent numbers of bass averaging in the 5-9# range (thats AWESOME compared to Allatoona) and a whole lot of big fiesty channel cats ( I have got a many over ten pounds, and one 14 lb).And with the water temp finally starting to cool down the fishing should only get better and better.

So if you are looking for a nice, easy day on the water with no wake and no noise, plenty of room to stretch out your lines, and some great fishing action, come check out Lake Acworth!

Need any help or tips just shoot me a pm!

-Chris

Attached Files:

2. r ward

r ward New Member

State:
    Kathleen G
    Where is this hidden jewel or are you keeping it a secret for yourself

3. Catnewb101

Catnewb101 New Member

State:
    Marietta, Georgia
    yeah aint that on the other side of the small dam they have there? cause what i say on the map lake ackworth was just a big circle filled with water.. Yeah it should be better than Alatoona for a number of reasons...

#1. A little too much noise in the lake of Alatoona

#2. Too much recreational boating and swimming

#3. Water level is slowly falling

#4. Alatoona's waters are usually at a high temperature for whatever season it is
    #5. Too much fisherman. Eventually, all the fish will be gone

#6. Alatoona may be a little too deep in some areas

4. IrishO'Brady

IrishO'Brady New Member

State:
    Ga
    It is actually connected to lake Allatoona(seperated via a concret spillway, and no its not a circle full of water...)- look @ an Allatoona map and you'll see it (usually they show it) or mapquest the city of Acworth and you will see the lake-

And Allatoona isn't "bad" for say as its featureless- the core of engineers didn't have much experience in the area of lake building- so when they dug for the reservoir they left no structures such as humps, holes, rocks, and trees- (and thus the name "the dead sea") all of which are healthy for fish populations. So while it is overused , there are a lot of good fish out there that inexperienced fisherman can't find because they dont know how to fish without obvious structure present.

5. usmc0208

usmc0208 New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    sounds like a good place

6. Desperado

Desperado Active Member

State:
    Pataskala, Ohio
    Name:
    Clarence
    I used to live down there over ten years ago near Kennesaw and the DNR closed the lake due to the high levels of pollutions in the lake and all fish were deemed not to be eaten. Ask around to the bait shops and call about the lake. I loved fishing the lake I just always returned the fish. Maybe it was treated and cleared. Just an FYI.

7. r ward

r ward New Member

State:
    Kathleen G
    Well that last statement would put me not catchingLOL maybe I'll get up that way and give it a shot sometime

8. g-man

g-man New Member

State:
    Kennesaw, Georgia
    I live in Kennesaw....any idea on when the water level will come back to full pool after the draw down? I guess what I'm asking, is there any water coming from a creek... or are we at the mercy of the (not so frequent) rain after the draw-down?

This lake is really convenient! I'd like to spend some time on it!! Thanks...

HD

9. Desperado

Desperado Active Member

State:
    Pataskala, Ohio
    Name:
    Clarence
    Try to check back in march.

10. jerseycat9

jerseycat9 New Member

State:
    Oakwood Georgia
    Thanks for the heads up on that lake cause I fished Altoona and was not impressed to say the least.

11. Catnewb101

Catnewb101 New Member

State:
    Marietta, Georgia
    yeah alatoona hasnt been producin lately. id stick with ackworth which i may go to tommorow, i dunno.

12. IrishO'Brady

IrishO'Brady New Member

State:
    Ga
    Tuesday when I get off Ill be fishing there (probly around 4-5pm) - Maybe I'll put up another fishing report on it if anyones interested. (also let me know if any of you try it, tell me what you think)
    And as for the draw down - the rumor is that engineers will be repairing some cracks in the damn this year, so Allatoona is supposed to get lower than ever. And from what I recall... they'll let it fill in the spring, usually early-mid April. The only good news is while Acworth does go down they don't drain it like they do Allatoona- ( however they drain it down enough for the grass beds to be out of the water, which is structure that people having trouble finding fish can "go-to" fairly regularly throughout the year)

13. jerseycat9

jerseycat9 New Member

State:
    Oakwood Georgia
    Is it just my computer or our the posts not showing up on this thread. I keep having to click on the name of the person who sent it to find out what was posted

14. g-man

g-man New Member

State:
    Kennesaw, Georgia
    No problems here.

15. jerseycat9

jerseycat9 New Member

State:
    Oakwood Georgia
    Do you guys see. There were two posts between my last two that arent showin up. I had to go to the members profiles to read what they wrote. No big deal just strange

16. g-man

g-man New Member

State:
    Kennesaw, Georgia
    Hey there IrishO'Brady.....

Since you have fished this lake, could you que some of us other locals in on what works for you in Lake Acworth....and then maybe some things that never worked. Also are you bank fishing this lake or are you useing a boat.

I'm going to start fishing the lake, but I thought you might give this new member a few helpful hints......or maybe a whole hell of a lot of hints:smile2:

Would also be nice to know what bait you have had best results with...

Thanks...g-man

17. IrishO'Brady

IrishO'Brady New Member

State:
    Ga
    Well normally I don't just spew all my small-lake secrets but, here goes:
    I fish it in a boat, my TR-17

When the water is at full pool, the grass along the edges of the bank (particularly around the golf course area) are very productive.
    Try:
    Zoom grass frogs (Yum buzz frogs, same difference) (yellow/white, brown/white)

Spinnerbaits- Chartreuse, chartreuse/white, Yellow - depending upon the stain what blades, but usually gold or copper tandem blades, occasionally double colorado. Just chunk to the bank, move it pretty quick through the grass, the slow roll it right outside the grass lines.

Shallow cranks (0-7 ft) - throw at the edge of the grass, retreiving almost parralel to the grassline, using either a rapala jointed crank (slow retreive) or a norman fat boy in chartreuse/white (medium retreive) - experiment with crankbatis, they can be very productive here when other baits are taggin out

When the lake is low:

There is a road bed on the bottom of the lake that basically follows the trajectory of the ramp all the way across the lake.
    Drag:
    A carolina rig down it with a lizard (black/red fleck, Junebug,) or a trick worm
    or use a rapala dt-12 in parrot (or something bright)

Also there is deeper water towards the spillway, find offshore bass there on a couple humps that are toward the center.

That ought to help for the bass

The cats can patrol the bank quite frequently and at all hours, using a slip rig 10-15 ft of the bank can catch some nice channels- they can also be located by fishing offshore humps in the deeper water ( of course the lake isnt real deep anywhere)

Crappie ought to be on like donky kong right now - using the reddish color minnows always does great out there, if you can find them.
    Crappie jigs also work well(blue/white, black/white, chartreuse/white), but I've caught some real slabs on spinnerbaits and crankbaits bass fishing lol

As for their location, when that grass goes dry they get to actin funny, so I am going up there Tuesday(tommorow), maybe I'll scout it out see if I can locate them.

And more so than all of this, if anyone wants to fish it gimme a holler, I got an empty seat on the boat... I can show you anything you want to know about it. The lake can really on occasion be baffling, but most of the time it produces great days.

I'll even wave my guide fee :wink:

-Chris

18. g-man

g-man New Member

State:
    Kennesaw, Georgia
    Thanks for the great information IrishO'Brady. I'm sure you have saved this ole boy a year of trial and error! I'll not forget the favor and if you ever need a return favor just ask. Honest!!

Weather looks a little dicy for tomorrow.... Hope you have a good fishin trip! Report back to us on your outing!! We like pictures:wink:

g-man

19. IrishO'Brady

IrishO'Brady New Member

State:
    Ga
    still havebt had chance to get out there again... the weather was in fact dicey, and I've been cattin' in Tennessee a lot lately. I mean a whole lot...
    but soon as I do I'll post a report, with the cold weather moving in they should be stacked deep and tight- hard to find but when I do it'll be a jiggin' massacre

20. Creteus

Creteus New Member

State:
    Loganville, GA
    I didn't know there was any fish in Lake Acworth. We never catch anything. Of course all we fish for is cats and we stay around the spillway. Lazy fisherman we are. Find the quickest easiest place sit and fish:roll_eyes: .