A helped me hint.

Discussion in 'Other Repairs' started by peewee williams, Feb 28, 2008.

1. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    Broken off bolts less than 3/8 inch in diameter are hard to get to remove without thread damage.The 100 piece"Security bit set #91310 from Harbor Freight has many assorted sizes of bits in many different forms.I have found some of the fluted ones to work in place of Easy Outs for broken bolt removal.I measured them with my calipers,drilled a smaller hole and tapped them in.So far 7 out of 9 of assorted sizes and materials of brass,steel and Stainless steel.That ain't BAD if I say so myself with little bolts and machine screws.One was after a "Easy Out" stripped out.The other stripped out after the Easy Out stripped out first.I was surprised to find my bits hard enough for this.

My biggest problem has been drilling a little hole with the small bits if it was on something that would not fit in a drill press.SNAP!I also cut a small slot in a bad SS screw head with a Dremal tool that was not big enough for anything to grab and removed it with very small straight bit.It only took me 3 hours!If I was not so slow and did not have to come off of my meds to do things right,I believe that I could earn a living.I don't know how many make these kits and how their bits are tempered,but these did just fine and I learned a new trick.

They are now on sale for $7.99 but just the one time was well worth the $12.99 regular price in my book.

I hope this may help someone sometime.

I love you Brothers and Sisters.peewee

2. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Let me give you a lightbulb tip.
    You ever go to change a lightbulb and the bulb breaks or falls out of the socket, go cut off the power and make a trip to the kitchen.

Grab a tater out of the tater bin and jam it up in the socket and turn the bulb base out. You might have to whittle on that tater a little bit if it has a big ol blunt end.

Used to get calls out to people's houses all the time and when you get there and ask them for a tater they kind of look at you real funny.
    That trip might cost them a 100 bucks but I taught em a little trick where hopefully it would only cost them the price of a tater next time.

Whoever thought you could turn a baking tater into an easyout?:wink:

3. peewee williams

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    I like you have used the Potato since I was taught it in childhood.Great tip.

I have also kept a quart pail of Di-Electric grease and very lightly apply it to power tool switches,all light bulbs,all pronged outlets and every marine connection including fuse,Battery,lights,trailer and Auto connectors.A $12.00 quart bucket last many years and pays for itself thousands of times over in my belief.It ain't made to lube,but it will stop corrosion for years.It pays for itself in one battery or trailer light bulb use in my belief.It is so nice to have something come apart like new 20,yes twenty years later that has been in a salt environment on the road or water.

Plain Vaseline is way better than nothing on 12 volt.

4. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Pee Wee there is a left hand drill bit if it catches it will spin your nut out.I dont know where to get them but my brother has a set and they work well

5. peewee williams

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    Yea I know.I have had 3 complete sets of very good expensive ones made out of the finest materials.Due to FRIENDS borrowing and not returning them,I have none.Right now I cannot afford them.

Thanks

I love you Brothers and sisters.peewee

6. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Ohh that would have me upset....