A great day on the Ohio.

Discussion in 'OHIO RIVERS TALK' started by RiverKing, Oct 27, 2007.

1. RiverKing

RiverKing New Member

State:
    Yellow Spr
    Me and my buddy hit the river on friday 10/26/07..Got to our first spot at about 10 am, before we could even get all our poles in the water, we had 2 nice channels in the boat...The fish have really turned on since the rain, and there is now a decent current in the river. All in all we caught 31 fish. 5 flats, 6 blues, and 20 channel cats..Nothing real huge, big fish was a 21 lb flathead, and the second runner up was an 18 lb blue. The rest of the fish were between 5 and 13 pounds..It was non stop action, one of the funnest days I can remember.Here is a pic of the big fish of the day.

Attached Files:

2. willcat

willcat New Member

State:
    texas
    sounds like a really good day on the water!!!!congrats nice fish

3. rustyhook36

rustyhook36 New Member

State:
    ohio
    Sound like the night that I had Thursday night. Non-stop action. The channel cats are very active right now. We were fishing for flathead. Only caught 4 of them with the biggest being 13 lbs. Also got my best channel cat to date it was 31 inches long and 14 lbs. It sure is nice to have current again. Congrats. to you on a nice flathead.

4. dougc

dougc Active Member

State:
    Independen
    Sounds like you're on a roll now Matt!

5. zmany2k

zmany2k New Member

State:
    APG, MD
    Sounds like you had a good time. I know the ohio around cincy could pump out some good sized hungry cats. Never had that much luck though. Congrats.

6. RiverKing

RiverKing New Member

State:
    Yellow Spr

Hey Rusty, you fish from a boat?? And do you fish in the downtown area, or the Markland pool??

7. crab

crab New Member

State:
    Ironton,Ohio
    Glad you had some luck and nice pics!:big_smile:

8. rustyhook36

rustyhook36 New Member

State:
    ohio
    Matt, I fish from a boat. I have been mostly fishing for flathead up river in the R.C. Byrd pool. Next week we will start to target blues in the Markland pool. I have only fished a couple of times in the downtown area down to Tanners Creek, but will likeley fish this area more this fall, and winter.

9. firecat

firecat New Member

State:
    OHIO Go Bucks
    I will be fishing downtown and around on Sunday morning I will be taking a buddy from work and my son. I'll let you know how I do. Matt did you get your fish on shad or skippies.

Larry

10. prostreetS10

prostreetS10 New Member

State:
    ohio
    31 fish that one heck of a night. nice flat too. i going out tonight on the boat hopefully.

11. RiverKing

RiverKing New Member

State:
    Yellow Spr
    Everything came on cut shad..Nothing would touch live bait..We caught alot of small and big shad in mill creek.It seemed like the cats prefered the peices of bait that came from the smaller shad..Maybe it was more tender or something??..Im not sure, but thats just what it seemed like...How did your dad do at the tourny today Larry??

12. Fishinfreak

Fishinfreak Member

State:
    North Bend,Ohio
    Matt nice job on the river. I`m going to try early Sunday morning if the fog is not a problem.Give me a call about ACATS when you can.

13. Ruger 454

Ruger 454 Member

State:
    LaGrange Kentucky
    I hope to get out this week sometime.

14. firecat

firecat New Member

State:
    OHIO Go Bucks
    They are in 4th place with 127 lbs. Dad put a 49 or 50lb flatty in the boat they just missed big fish. He said there were 4 fish all around 50lbs. I think 1st place was at 217lbs he said. Kerns and Edwards. They had a very good day though he said they call fish pretty much all day.

I'll let you know how I do.

Thanks,

Larry

15. firecat

firecat New Member

State:
    OHIO Go Bucks
    Well I have to echo matts day as well. We got to our first spot about 7:00am. We had our first fish by 7:05am. An 8lb channel cat. The rest of the day was pretty good. We totaled 2 flatheads one going 22lbs and one @ 6lbs and 12 channel cats. The largest was 11lbs and the smallest was 6lbs. There were some pig channel cats biting today. We ended up with a total of 133lbs of catfish. We definitely had a good day. I took a buddy that had never been on the river before but is an avid catfisherman. He is already talking about getting a boat big enough for the river and going again. At one point we ran out of shad and had to catch more. The one bad thing about the whole trip was that both of us forgot our camera's so I don't have a single picture to share. Oh well it was a great day anyhow.

Larry

16. Fishinfreak

Fishinfreak Member

State:
    North Bend,Ohio
    Larry looks like you`s did well.Didn`t get out today myself.But you can bet i`ll be on the water tomorrow. Randy

17. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    WOW!! 31, why not 32? lol... that is a bunch of fish!! congrats on the good fishing! maybe you can take me out soon and show me what that big river is about!! rollo:big_smile:

18. RiverKing

RiverKing New Member

State:
    Yellow Spr

Just let me know when you want to go Rollo.

19. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    i will be off work for the cold months here soon, maybe I can make a first or early spring trip im a flathead guy, still never caught a blue.. rollo

20. RiverKing

RiverKing New Member

State:
    Yellow Spr
    Sounds good, just let me know, I am always going.