A good tool to have on your kayak or canoe

Discussion in 'Kayaker and Canoe Fishing' started by jeremiad, Oct 5, 2007.

1. jeremiad

jeremiad Well-Known Member

Name:
    Unspecified
    I have read a lot about stakeout poles, but I didn't really need a long pole for lake use; it would just be in the way. I considered a dock pole from K-Mart, but considered it too long for the bother. However, I knew I needed something other than my paddle when near shore.

I decided to buy a Coleman trekking pole. I know it's not made specifically for water, but I can say that it works quite well. It never failed to hold when locked in position.

[​IMG]

I left the rubber tip on the bottom as well as the basket. It is small so that it fits within the cockpit under my foot brace without being in the way. I could quickly deploy it by telescoping it to any necessary length. When I got the pole back home, it disassembled easily to be washed out and dried.

The pole came in handy when clearing the shore, or approaching the shore. Another benefit was in retrieving the fishing line from the end of my seven-foot poles without having to remove the poles from their holders.

It's a small investment to make in a great tool that stays out of the way until you need it.

2. jeremiad

Name:
    Unspecified
    By the way, the trekker pole extends from 27" to 53", which is from a little over two feet to over four feet in length! At this length, I found it very easy to land the kayak on shore sideways by poling seaward, pushing the kayak onto shore without damaging the hull at all!

You can find these poles online, at K-Mart, and other stores for around $15. Wal-Mart also has a similar version for under $10. Not a bad price for a great tool.

3. splitshot

splitshot New Member

State:
    Coxsakie,N.Y.
    Thanks Joel, ive seen those a Wal-Mart sounds like a good tool to have!

4. jeremiad

Name:
    Unspecified
    I like the Wal-Mart trekking pole handle, but the Coleman pole has a much larger rubber cap covering the metal tip. I like the larger rubber cap when puching in the muck, but either pole should work.

5. kkyyoottee

kkyyoottee New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I took one and converted it into a shooting rest for my wife!!! The regular shooting poles start at 80 bucks and I said hell with that!!

6. ridelife

ridelife New Member

State:
    Kansas
    good idea
    thanks