A good surf rod?

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Review' started by Blakemo, Nov 23, 2008.

1. Blakemo

Blakemo New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I was just wondering what would be a good surf rod that will cast realy far(for a dam) and thats not to expensive. I have a 35 dollar one from academy but it dosent cast as far as id like.

2. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    How long is your surf rod?I have a 11 footer that will cast out of sight.

3. Blakemo

Blakemo New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I have a 14ft rod. What brand do you use?

4. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    Mine a old Master fiberglass rod about 25 years old.

5. Ahquabi_Master

Ahquabi_Master New Member

State:
    WDM Iowa
    I'm on the same hunt myself...I was wanting to maybe get some 10' eagle claw - water eagles but haven't heard enough about them. You sure it's not your reel or the way you're casting with that 14 'er?

6. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    Lamiglass rods are hard to beat but are very pricey. I have my Dads rod that he used below Kaw Dam in Ok. Its a 14 ft 1-piece Fenwick. It will cast a country mile. I dont use it though.
    I would try a 12-14 ft Meat Hunter. I think they are based in Tulsa. I have a 14 footer and its is a nice rod. Para cord handles and nice guides. I think they run about 25- 45 bucks.

7. Tunastick

Tunastick New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    if your after a spinning model, Fish Usa has the ugly stick custum 10'6" Heavy action for under $100 that cast like a $300 stick and feels great. The regular ugly stick surf casting models if you need a casting model are top stuff too, I have 3 of the 12'xh that I use at the beach. I know there are probably better casting rods out there but not for $79.

8. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Be careful about buying a 'surf rod' to use below dams & powerhouses. Back in the mid-80s I bought a 14' surf rod from Wal Mart to use below Dardanelle Dam on the Arkansas River. The first cat I hit a cat real hard, the rod folded in two. I took the rod back and swapped it for another just like it. I mean, JUST like it! First cat I hit, the rod broke right in two. Took it back, swapped it, and again, the first cat I hit, the rod broke in two. I took it back, and told the manager we'd both be better off if he just gave me my money back; put some more with it and bought a custom 'river rod' made to use in such conditions. It's made from a 14' Fenwick blank, and has been well worth the money I spent for it. Surf fishing just doesn't put the pressure on a rod that you get below a dam. I've done lots of surf fishing in Florida with tackle that would be totally unsuitable below the dams on the Arkansas River.

9. mrmarkedwards

mrmarkedwards Active Member

State:
    Delaware
    well since you didn't state a price range let me try this first up

KING CAT SUPREME 10ft SPINNING, H cost 38 dollars i don't have this or even laid my hands on one but for 38 dollars i'll try it out.

next an old standby 12 uglysitik rated for 2-12oz even though it is closer to 2-6oz retails for less than 100 dollars. i have one and thats why i made the adjustment for the casting range.

next the 12 ft okuma solaris retails for roughly 100 dollars max has a casting range of 3-8oz and with the right reel and line this rod is capable of casting 500ft.

now with the above stated let me give you 2 points to ponder, first you can't buy distance you're going to have to put in some work to reach that dam you're thinking of fishing. second you're going to have to understand
    that you are more than likely going to have to use small baits on clipped down rigs.

remember an elephant will eat peanuts but it won't walk a mile to eat them. hope this helps and good luck.

10. wneubauer

wneubauer New Member

State:
    McKinney, TX
    I use American Rodsmith 10 and 12 ft surf rods and a Tica Dolphin 10' 6' surf rod on the lakes in winter, and in the surf when I am lucky enough to get to the gulf coast. All cast well, depending on what reel and line and weight I have on there.

You can spend what you like on rods, but I think the whole system needs to be looked at if you want to maximize your casting ability. The reel, line, casting ability and bait/weight all figure into the length of a cast...

Good luck!

11. alton

alton New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I am not sure what to recommend, since you never stated if you are looking for a spinning or casting rod. I know Bass Pro sells their 12' Power Plus spinning rods for aroud $30.00 and Cabelas has the Eagle Claw 13' spinning rods for around $30.00. I am sure they are both worth checking out. Nice casting rods seem to be a bit more expensive. I can recommend the Okuma Solaris Surf rods because I have two 12' and use 6500c3 with #65 power pro and they are a joy to cast and have caught blues up to #48, so they will do the job. Digital Dagger sells the rods for $78.00. I also have an Ocean Master Cape Point 12' which I use a 7500, this rig is a horse because the lure rating is 6-12oz and it is a legit rating unlike the Ugly sticks. The cape point model is now only available in a spinning rod and sells from Bass Pro for $149.00. I caught the casting model on sale last year for $89.00. Good luck.

12. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken

I agree with Bill on this statement here,about the best advise you can get.:cool2:
    But a good rod with a Mod/fast to Fast action blank M/Hvy -Hvy helps

13. South Grand Laker

South Grand Laker New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    i agree with ARKriverman, i use a 13ft lamiglas to throw behind my dam on the river here, and does me just fine, and also i used to use the 12ft meathunters they'll work fine for about 30 bucks pretty good price for a versatile rod, my favorite is an old Fenwick also

14. catfish_clayton

catfish_clayton New Member

State:
    Catania, Italy,
    The catmaxx from Bass Pro is a reel nice rod I think they go up to 12 ft. They are a fairly in-expensive rod and they have ALOT! of backbone for a long rod.